The Student Room Group

Is A Guy Of 5'8 Too Short To Date??

Poll

Would You Consider Dating a 5'8 Man??

I'm a 5'8 male and I've heard rumours that the vast majority of women do not like to do someone of this height or smaller. Although only around 25%-33% of men are 6ft and above so most men are smaller than this. I've never really taken notice of this nor cared until recently reading on the internet that the majority of women would refuse to date someone around my height under almost any circumstances and I'm just curious how true this is??

Now I understand that taller men are deemed more desirable, and women above 5'8 may struggle to date a 5'8 guy, that's also understandable.

Would you date a 5'8 male?? Or is that a no no under any circumstances??

I was never necessarily insecure about my height, but these forums have made me. :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Just under 5'8'', dated plenty of girls, some as tall as me and one even taller. The regularity with which this crops on TSR is depressing.
I'm 5"9 (so taller than the average woman). I'd prefer a man to be taller than me (how much taller doesn't matter), but I would consider a man of 5"8. I have dated a man who I'm guessing was around 5"8. I was nuts about him at the time, obviously I'm not with him anymore, but no, his height was definitely not an issue. He always referred to be as "soo leggy" and "really tall" so perhaps it was more on his mind than mine, I'd say probably.
Yes. Clearly no man in the history of mankind under 5'8 has ever dated. :facepalm:
Everyone's different? I'm 5ft 2, so dating a 5ft 8 male would be 'ideal', most of my boyfriends have been over 6ft, so it would be nice to be able to kiss him without tip toeing :mmm:

Honestly, all these "I'm too tall", "I'm not tall enough" threads make me upset. Love what you have! There are thousands of girls under 5ft 8 who would have no problem dating a guy at that height. It's not like we go around with tape measures deeming boys unsuitable because they're a few inches short of 6ft :h:

I reckon you'll probably receive similar results where ever you ask :smile:
Reply 5
My boyfriend was only about 5ft 5 when we first got together and didn't bother me. That said I'm only 5ft 3 myself, but in any case a girl who valued a guy based on his height is probably not really worth worrying over
im a 5ft 11 girl and my boyfriend is 5ft8 yeah ok so we might look a bit wierd but you know what i dont give a ****! ive dated guys who are 6ft3 plus theyve all been cocks this guy is the only one wh treats me amazing, so what if we look a bit odd whose it offending nobody! im only a size 6 and hes quite hench so actually heights irrelevent its not like im the big tall one and hes the weedy skinny one, it doesnt affet our sex life, our friends dont care we make jokes about it all the time we laugh about the height difference now at first it bothered me then i thought am i really going to throw away what i have with an amazing guy because ive unfortunatly been given tall genes and he has short genes no!
Reply 7
Dude, I'm 5 ft 2.

That hasn't stopped girls loving me though.

Yeah, it can stop a few people, but I'd rather be with someone who's in love with my personality and who doesn't have insecurities such as MY height.

For me, height doesn't define me - it's just a number to me. If I don't make a fuss out of it, why should someone else?
Reply 8
Meh, my fiance is that height and I think it's just right. I'm 5'2" though, so I'm not exactly tall either.
I'd kill to be 5'8".

Seriously, you're only just under average. You've got nothing to worry about.
Reply 10
Here's something for some short people reading this thread.

http://blog.shamil.co.uk/2012/05/short-people-problems/

And here's what I read to keep myself in check about being short, a remedy if you will.

http://blog.shamil.co.uk/2012/05/the-short-guy/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
It's a bit too short for me. I prefer guys to be at least the same height as me, so two inches difference is too much.

Plenty of girls who are smaller than me out there though. In fact most girls are smaller than me, so you shouldn't have a problem. :smile:
I always thought I'd want to date guys taller than me .... but when i meet my boyfriend height didnt matter he's the same height as me taller by just a bit, but height dosent really bother me at all now and 5'8 isnt that small !!!
Reply 13
Lol, oh lol, do you live in the real world? You see, if you live in a city or in a university setting, that guys below 5'8 get girls easily. But it depends on what they are like as a person of course; looks, personality etc.
Im 6'6 date me

When i see a fit girl, taller than the guy shes going out with, i feel sick a little
Reply 15
Original post by Bear_Grylls
Im 6'6 date me

When i see a fit girl, taller than the guy shes going out with, i feel sick a little

So what, a taller girl is not allowed to go out with a shorter guy?
I'm 5ft 3, and have dated people who range from 5ft6/7 to 6ft1.

I have no preference, although shorter guys are usually... erm... more compatible, let's say :P
Reply 17
My fiancé is 5'7 and I don't mind. But then, im 5'5 so he's still a bit taller than me. I don't know how i'd feel about dating somebody shorter than me, but 5'8 isn't that short.
Reply 18
How tall they are doesn't really matter. But then most men are tall in comparison to me
I'm 5'3" so your height would be fine!

Don't stress about things like this, I'm sure you're a nice guy and thats whats more important! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending