The Student Room Group

Why the private school hate?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zara55
Yes and the stereotypes are based on extremes - the most elite private schools are very expensive and their students are typically more wealthy (I know from personal experience :smile:) and the poorest state schools are presumably very poor. When people casually think of private school, they think of Eton toffs, not ordinary workaday private schools with moderate fees that many more people could afford if they did not prioritise new cars, bigger houses, foreign holidays, etc.

but on the whole in a small town where i am theres nothing in it at all.
Reply 161
Original post by Baller

You say that you attend one of the best state schools in the country? It sounds like your trying to make yourself seem privileged or better than others. That isn't a personality difference though is it?

Not at all. I simply grew up in the right area.

Original post by Baller
If we're talking personality then I can bash state school pupils just as much. I could say that almost all criminals, teenage-preggers, government welfare leeches, people with ASBOS and generally everyone that is considered a bad person are state-school educated...but I'm not :biggrin:

Exactly. However, chances are you'll be unaware and shielded from these kind of people. You're portraying them all in a completely negative light because of the environment you've been in, you don't understand their situations. I'm not saying it's solely your private-school background that gives you these views, obviously, some of my best friends go to private schools. I do believe, however, that attending an exclusive school filled with people similar to you can (not does) give you a warped view on the world which I don't agree with.
Reply 162
Original post by heyAmy

Exactly. However, chances are you'll be unaware and shielded from these kind of people. You're portraying them all in a completely negative light because of the environment you've been in, you don't understand their situations. I'm not saying it's solely your private-school background that gives you these views, obviously, some of my best friends go to private schools. I do believe, however, that attending an exclusive school filled with people similar to you can (not does) give you a warped view on the world which I don't agree with.

I'm not convinced it's the schools, or just the schools, that give their students those outlooks. Don't forget, people who go to posh or as you put it "exclusive" private schools often come from quite (or very) wealthy backgrounds and they have the influence of their parents, friends, etc. I went to an "exclusive" (or often thought to be) girls boarding/day school. The school really tried hard to educate us not to think that way, eg, not to assume superior attitudes, etc, we had a link for example with several state schools and spent time with them doing extra tuition work for them as older girls - we did voluntary work. Some of the girls in the school did have rather superior attitudes, but I don't think they got them from the school.
Reply 163
Original post by Xyls
I think people are generally just jealous and naive to what private education actually brings. I went to private school - Didn't do so well due to a number of reasons but there is some like expectation that people at private school have there work done for them .. .. .. I certainly know from where I went to school this was not the case - (My brother went to state school).

I've noticed from uni that there are a certain type of people which have a problem with privately educated children - Do I care? No. My father worked tirelessly to be able to give me the opportunities I have had in life - And what does my dad do? No, he's not a banker, No he's not a retail genius, He tarmacs roads, and has been doing that since he was 14 years old - its nothing you need to go to university to do, you just need to be bothered to get off your ass - just as my brother is now doing. Neither of my parents have GCSES or Alevels.

There were a lot of children (well a lot for a school of 450 pupils from 3-18) at my school who were from 'poor' backgrounds who had got into school because of scholarships - These things are there for a reason, to allow children who can't afford to go the chance - Will it give you a better education? I'm hesitant to agree - You reap the rewards that you sow, If you do no effort, in either private or state you won't get anything out of it. The only thing private school does give is extra chances to do things such as travel, learn musical instruments and other things - Probably more so on the sporting front as well.

Life's a bitch - some people make it and some people don't, some people resent they didn't make it and become this little ball of jealously and anger and some people accept the situation, But I refuse to believe that if someone was in a position to they would give there children every opportunity that they could afford - Coming from a rich OR a poor background. It's extremely funny how peoples views change when there circumstances do.

Very well said!

<3 x
Reply 164
I've never completely understood the whole 'class divide'.
I'm currently at (well...technically it was our last day on Friday :smile: ) a private 6th form and have alway been to private schools on scholarships (it's not just an obscene amount of luck, the prep school and senior school are linked together).
Anyway, I've never understood the hate between private and state.
I played in a county team for 5 years and we had kids from all walks of life but mainly kids from state schools. Most of them didn't understand why we would be willing to pay to go to school when (quoting) "It's boring, horrible and you can go for free anyway".
The general response was that a private school generally meant a better education, better facilities and more contact hours. This means getting higher grades, meaning we have a better chance of getting into a better university, which means we have a higher chance of getting a better job and thus, a better lifestyle...and so on and so forth.
We have a boy who transferred from the local comp to our 6th Form to do his A levels and he's lovely. :confused: So I'm genuinely quite confused as to why there's so much vitriol from both sides.
I don't care if you're white, black, pink, blue or green or if you believe a giant rabbit on a spacehopper will swoop down during the apocalypse. If you're a nice person with kind intentions, I'll be nice back. If not, jog on.
I don't see how you can base your judgement of a person on what kind of school they went to. One of my friends went to the local college after GCSEs while I stayed at school, and when I met her new friends I couldn't quite believe that they really thought all private school kids were stuck up and rude. I really didn't realise people subscribe to stereotypes so easily.
Sorry for the very badly worded/paragraped answer, I was revising all night and I'm completely KNACKERED. And should probably get back to revising rather than procrastinating ^^
Reply 165
Original post by zara55
I'm not convinced it's the schools, or just the schools, that give their students those outlooks. Don't forget, people who go to posh or as you put it "exclusive" private schools often come from quite (or very) wealthy backgrounds and they have the influence of their parents, friends, etc. I went to an "exclusive" (or often thought to be) girls boarding/day school. The school really tried hard to educate us not to think that way, eg, not to assume superior attitudes, etc, we had a link for example with several state schools and spent time with them doing extra tuition work for them as older girls - we did voluntary work. Some of the girls in the school did have rather superior attitudes, but I don't think they got them from the school.

I agree with you, it doesn't have to be your school at all.
Being in an environment with people who believe they are superior can affect your attitude though.
I'm not talking about everyone and making a generalisation, just a majority.
I have great respect for private schools. If you have the money why not? Rather than spending your riches on boats and houses and cars, give your child an education that is better than average (in my opinion.)
I go to a pretty **** state school and most people at it assume - private school person = rich/****/snob etc
But to be honest i think some people at state schools use not going to a private school as an excuse for underperforming.

Some private school people are actually rich/****/snob etc but most of them are just normal people same at state school some are chav/annoying/prick but most are just normal people.

Is it unfair that some get better education? Yes. Do I care? No. Can I do just as well if not better than them without going to a private school? Yes.

If you're willing to put the work in you can succeed anywhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending