The Student Room Group

Higher Business Management 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Okay with business in contemporary society, internal organisations, HRM, Finance. Marketing and Operations will probably be my weakest area.
Original post by ailssx
I'm okay with Marketing, Internal Organisation, HR and Operations.. Business in Contemp. Society is alright, Decision making is average and Finance is just HORRIBLE! I'm not revising so much finance but focusing on most of the other topics! I'm just reading ALL my notes and any past paper answers I have, hopefully if I continue to read them all it will sink in!

I definitely agree with this although I do enjoy the ratios everything else is just 'bleh' in my mind, no defined areas if that makes sense. I want to do accounts at college too along with my HNC that sounds promising haha!

I only like BICS (can we abbreviate to that?) cause it's basically SG Business Management all over again then Internal Organisation is just Admin. Since I passed Admin I'm a bit confused why HR isn't a really strong subject for me since that's one that Admin really focuses on!
Original post by Akmeeda
Okay with business in contemporary society, internal organisations, HRM, Finance. Marketing and Operations will probably be my weakest area.

I'm similar to you but like I said I do trip up on HR and Finance too. Marketing when I properly think about it I could probably manage okay but it's such a big topic just the thought of it makes me want to cry!
Reply 63
I'd say my weakest areas are business in a contemporary society(I joined the class late so had to teach myself it), operations and HR.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 64
How long should you spend on the first question? I usually get 4/10 for that question, it's depressing lol. Any tips available? :biggrin: It's mainly the heading under marketing I'm unsure about. Is it to do with the 4Ps?
Reply 65
Original post by Twinkle10
How long should you spend on the first question? I usually get 4/10 for that question, it's depressing lol. Any tips available? :biggrin: It's mainly the heading under marketing I'm unsure about. Is it to do with the 4Ps?

I think it should be about 1.5 minutes per mark, so max of 15 minutes really. Read the passage and underline anything you think is a problem. Then just pick the ones that work under each heading.

4Ps yeah. Price, promotion, product, place. Think it's also competitors aswell.
Reply 66
Exam in two days guys! Getting all a bit scary now.

I think i'm fine with BICS & Finance but only more so the finance because I did Accounting this year as a crash higher so I understand all a bit more.

I'm horrendous at Human Resources and thinks like Functional Grouping (not sure which topic that is).
Reply 67
Original post by morganalex
I definitely agree with this although I do enjoy the ratios everything else is just 'bleh' in my mind, no defined areas if that makes sense. I want to do accounts at college too along with my HNC that sounds promising haha!

I only like BICS (can we abbreviate to that?) cause it's basically SG Business Management all over again then Internal Organisation is just Admin. Since I passed Admin I'm a bit confused why HR isn't a really strong subject for me since that's one that Admin really focuses on!

I'm crashing it this year so it's all new to me! I've just been reading my book constantly and going over things in my head.. it's quite scary how it's only two days away! :frown:
Reply 68
Could someone send me Past Papers from years before 2009 because the SQA stops at that year? Please and thank you would be highly appreciated.

P.S. For anyone who is having problems with command words/key words then here is a sheet my business department at my school made up:
Might be difficult to see due to black background on some writing
Reply 69
Original post by Sami'
I think it should be about 1.5 minutes per mark, so max of 15 minutes really. Read the passage and underline anything you think is a problem. Then just pick the ones that work under each heading.

4Ps yeah. Price, promotion, product, place. Think it's also competitors aswell.

Thanks, you're a star :smile:!
Reply 70
Im okay with:
BICS, ICT, Operations, Decision Making, Finance.

It's marketing and HR which drive me insane ;-;
I hate the role of ____ in employee relations questions :frown:
Original post by greigeh
Could someone send me Past Papers from years before 2009 because the SQA stops at that year? Please and thank you would be highly appreciated.

It actually goes back to 2007 if you use the past paper service.

http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/findpastpaper.htm?subject=Business+Management&level=H
Reply 72
Original post by Chrisruptor
It actually goes back to 2007 if you use the past paper service.

http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/findpastpaper.htm?subject=Business+Management&level=H

Oh I didn't even realise thank you very much!
Reply 73
Can anybody help with SWOT analysis? I'm really not sure how to structure a question using this type of analysis. I understand what's included (identify internal strengths, internal weaknesses, external opportunities and external threats), but how do you actually write this all down as I'm pretty sure bullet points aren't allowed for questions other than Q1.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 74
Original post by Mint23
Can anybody help with SWOT analysis? I'm really not sure how to structure a question using this type of analysis. I understand what's included (identify internal strengths, internal weaknesses, external opportunities and external threats), but how do you actually write this all down as I'm pretty sure bullet points aren't allowed for questions other than Q1.

Thanks in advance.

Could you give an example question?

But if you just mean how would you write it down just do it in continual prose.
Reply 75
Anyone know what the grade boundaries were for the last few years?

For 2011:
83% High A
68% A
58% B
48% C

I've seen it much higher though, one year I think it was 73% for an A band 2. I'm worried. :frown:
Im worried for it! And in the paper, Business in Contemporary Society has more questions because SQA make the paper up with a higher percentage bearing on BICS than the rest of the units!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Reply 77
See the trading profit and loss account and the balance sheet, does anyone think that you'll be asked to draw them? And what are some advantages of good employee relations and what can they do to make the business more successful? I find that that question has come up a lot in the last few years and it isn't really highlighted as much as it is in the textbook. Thanks.

Reply 78
Original post by matthew422
See the trading profit and loss account and the balance sheet, does anyone think that you'll be asked to draw them? And what are some advantages of good employee relations and what can they do to make the business more successful? I find that that question has come up a lot in the last few years and it isn't really highlighted as much as it is in the textbook. Thanks.

I definitely think drawing a TPL/BS would not come up as that is what you do in Higher Accounting, it would seem extremely peculiar.

Advantages of good ER, I'd probably say more motivated staff therefore higher productivity. Employees feel like they have higher job security therefore are reliable and the business can keep good high quality working staff. Not 100% sure but there's a rough idea.

Reply 79
The only thing they might ask you to draw is how to manage stock control.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending