The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Philosophy of Religion & Ethics June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LeahCarmel
This is more of a trick question. Our teacher got some girls paper sent back to us who got an A in this exam answering that question and basically, she just wrote that the two types of RL are cognitive and non-cognitive and then went on the further explain verification and falsification. From what I've gathered, they ask you pretty much the same question every year. Don't get thrown off by the question, if you start to panic just think of everything you've learnt and how it links to the question. The questions can be horrible sometimes but they more or less ask you the same every year. Good luck!

Thanks so we are just basically writing the features and throwing in the odd however similarly...??
so nervous for this exam :/
Original post by Coffeegirl
Thanks so we are just basically writing the features and throwing in the odd however similarly...??
so nervous for this exam :/

I'll see if I can upload the model answer up on here for you. Although, don't revise from this because there are some things she did not put in that I would. We were given it for guideance more than anything I think.
Model answer given by school for Religious Language. :smile:

Question: Compare and contrast two types of religious language. Disccuss the view that religious language is indispesnable for an understanding of religious beliefs.
Reply 163
Original post by rebecca12345
anyone reckon they will mix atheism with religious exp again? was done in june 2010!

I have the June 2010 paper in front of me (and you can get it from Edexcel) but Religious Exp is with Ontological arguement, atheism has never come up; and i don't want it to come up, because i'm planning on answering Ontological!

Original post by headbands,
what are they if you dont mind me asking?
I don't have any, only the reformulations?

1) Anselm's starting premise (definition of God as 'that than which . . .') could be true and accepted by both the believer and atheist.
2) Since the arguments are deductive if the premises could be accepted then the conclusion must be true.

What do you mean by the reformulations?
people are stressing they will mix ontological with religious experience as one question, do you think they will?! so harsh if they do!!
Reply 165
people are stressing they will mix ontological with religious experience as one question, do you think they will?! so harsh if they do!!

You choose between Ontological and Religious Exp, but i highly doubt they would make it into one question to answer.
Original post by SCheng
You choose between Ontological and Religious Exp, but i highly doubt they would make it into one question to answer.

its just that we got a model answer pack from a book the examiners created, and there is a model answer which is rel exp and onto mixed, so thats why my class are stressing!

We've been told if they mixed them into one question, there will be another question on religious experience alone. Don't know how true it is though!
We've been told if they mixed them into one question, there will be another question on religious experience alone. Don't know how true it is though!

lets hope thats the truth! I don't think i could string together a critiques of religion essay in 35 minutes, it would take to long to structure!
Model answer given by school for Religious Language. :smile:

Question: Compare and contrast two types of religious language. Disccuss the view that religious language is indispesnable for an understanding of religious beliefs.

Thanks that was quite useful :smile: Do you know the grade of this by any chance? x
Original post by Coffeegirl
Thanks that was quite useful :smile: Do you know the grade of this by any chance? x

She got 28/30 so A I think.
I'm revising:

Religious Experience
Critiques of Religion

Religious Language; Myth, Symbol etc.

Ethical Theory; Deontology, Virtue Ethics etc

Is this enough?
Reply 173
anyone reckon they will mix atheism with religious exp again? was done in june 2010!

I'm reading this paper now... There's no Atheism in the question - 'i. Examine the strengths and weaknesses of the argument for the existence of God based on religious experience' and ii. 'The argument merely indicates the probabbility of God and this is of little value to a religious believer.' Discuss.
Reply 174
Original post by 19delliott94
I'm revising:

Religious Experience
Critiques of Religion

Religious Language; Myth, Symbol etc.

Ethical Theory; Deontology, Virtue Ethics etc

Is this enough?

Make sure you have the whole of RL covered and know Natural Moral Law and you should be fine :smile:
Original post by 12lightf
I'm reading this paper now... There's no Atheism in the question - 'i. Examine the strengths and weaknesses of the argument for the existence of God based on religious experience' and ii. 'The argument merely indicates the probabbility of God and this is of little value to a religious believer.' Discuss.

Sorry i meant jan 2010!! silly me
Reply 176
Sorry i meant jan 2010!! silly me

I think that was the question paper for the old specification, i remember someone on here saying that for unit 3 they only did a january exam once which was for the last people doing a resit for the old spec.
Reply 177
Phoned Edexcel to enquire about athiesm in the part 1. The guy was pretty brief, but I asked him if it could come up as a separate question etc. because different people have said different things. He replied that if it's on the specification as a separate point then it could.
Also, in terms of Myth and Symbol, in the specification they are one topic, so they will never come up separately. And, the specific block for religious language says: "Note that over a cycle of a few years all these topics will be examined."
That being true, so far from June 2010, Myth and Symbol, Language Games, Analogy, and then two types of religious language (cognitive and non-cognitive?) have come up, so it could be possible that verificationism/falsificationism will come up, as long as they aren't total asswipes.
I myself am doing Ontological, Religious Language and Justice, Law and punishment. Starting to worry about whether Atheism will come up though!
Reply 178
Original post by Joshai
Phoned Edexcel to enquire about athiesm in the part 1. The guy was pretty brief, but I asked him if it could come up as a separate question etc. because different people have said different things. He replied that if it's on the specification as a separate point then it could.

My teacher said Atheism wouldn't come up, because although it's in the text book you can use it in the Westphal article. As long as ontological comes up though i would be happy, if it doesn't then i'll probably have to do religious exp, which i know but i can see myself not doing very well in . . .
Reply 179
Yeah, my teacher definitely said Ontological argument always comes up. But this just goes to show the lack of communication some teachers have with the exam board I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending