The Student Room Group

Outline and evaluate research into conformity question!

Okay I'm having a panic.. The question was: Outline and evaluate research into conformity.

I mentioned Asch and evaluated his research but I also said something along the lines of 'Research into conformity has shown us people conform due to normative/informational reasons' etc and mentioned that research found their are three types of conformity (compliace/indentification/internalisation).

Were you meant to JUST focus on research STUDIES for this question and go into depth about the aim/method/results etc? Or is my winder take on it still okay?

I also mentioned that with research into conformity you have to be careful with ethics because confederates are being used so there is deception involved and how lots of participants in Asch's study said they were uncomfortable.

Thanks.
Reply 1
That question also confused me :s-smilie: I just focused on Asch as I've scored 11/12 on a 12 marker just talking about his study in class, but I heard others did Sheriff as well.

However, I was looking at the mark scheme for a past paper and for a question on research into stress and the immune system, I think it said you could just focus on theories rather than studies (June 2010).

I found with both the June and January paper, the 12 markers were quite good, but then they added weird 8 markers.
Original post by chelle2788
Okay I'm having a panic.. The question was: Outline and evaluate research into conformity.

I mentioned Asch and evaluated his research but I also said something along the lines of 'Research into conformity has shown us people conform due to normative/informational reasons' etc and mentioned that research found their are three types of conformity (compliace/indentification/internalisation).

Were you meant to JUST focus on research STUDIES for this question and go into depth about the aim/method/results etc? Or is my winder take on it still okay?

I also mentioned that with research into conformity you have to be careful with ethics because confederates are being used so there is deception involved and how lots of participants in Asch's study said they were uncomfortable.

Thanks.

The question asked what research has shown about conformity so all you have to do is outline some research and outline its findings and evaluate it.

I did two studies, Asch (majority influence - normative/compliance) and Mascovici (minority influence - informational/internalisation) . I outlined their procedures and findings and then evaluated both separately :smile: I did 3 evaluative points in each so I didn't have to go into immense detail. Because of this, I think I got at least 11 :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by chelle2788

Thanks.

I spent sooo long just talking bout th edifferent types of conformity and used example/scenarios and couldnt talk about the 2 case studies i wanted to use but added: Conformity has been reaserached by Psychologist such as: Asch,Sherrif and milgram....

I didnt see Psychoanalaysis question till last minute :frown: and overall, I think ive failed! though I hope not as I will be having the geeks laughing at me....
has anyone got an example essay on this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending