The Student Room Group

Do universities look at A level results?

Hey, i just wanted to know if universities would look at your A level results if you applied to study for postgraduate.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. Some application forms might ask you to state them, because universities are interested in this kind of information for statistical purposes, but it won't affect their decision.
Reply 2
What you got for your bachelor's is all that really matters. But I suppose (since it seems perfectly plausible) that if they had two candidates, both did excellent and got firsts, etc, and they tried to separate them to choose, then yeah of course it could potentially come down to A-level results. Highly unlikely that would happen though. What if both candidates did equally well at A-level? Would they then look at GCSEs? Who knows.
Original post by Zii
What you got for your bachelor's is all that really matters. But I suppose (since it seems perfectly plausible) that if they had two candidates, both did excellent and got firsts, etc, and they tried to separate them to choose, then yeah of course it could potentially come down to A-level results. Highly unlikely that would happen though. What if both candidates did equally well at A-level? Would they then look at GCSEs? Who knows.

Sure, that will be more important than research proposal, references etc...oh wait. At some point it stops becoming about how well you did on tests at school, you know that right? its difficult to establish anything like parity with most PG applicants. A levels/GCSE's are so far down the line of stuff that matters directly. Obviously they indirectly matter, having affected what uni you went to etc, but that is completely different.
Reply 4
No. It all really boils down to your year 2 sats.
Reply 5
Original post by The Lyceum
Sure, that will be more important than research proposal, references etc...oh wait. At some point it stops becoming about how well you did on tests at school, you know that right? its difficult to establish anything like parity with most PG applicants. A levels/GCSE's are so far down the line of stuff that matters directly. Obviously they indirectly matter, having affected what uni you went to etc, but that is completely different.

That's the point I was trying to make. It's so far down the line of what is important. But in the hypothetical, plausible situation I described above, I made it clear that if obviously, if you were matched at ALL of those things you described, it could come down to A-level results, thus answering the question of the OP. And to the person above, if they really had to, they really only had one spot open for two near-identical applicants, and they had no way of separating them except for looking at SAT results or a fight to the death, then, you know which one they'd choose (a fight to the death obviously).
Reply 6
Original post by Zii
That's the point I was trying to make. It's so far down the line of what is important. But in the hypothetical, plausible situation I described above, I made it clear that if obviously, if you were matched at ALL of those things you described, it could come down to A-level results, thus answering the question of the OP. And to the person above, if they really had to, they really only had one spot open for two near-identical applicants, and they had no way of separating them except for looking at SAT results or a fight to the death, then, you know which one they'd choose (a fight to the death obviously).

Why should it come down to something that is irrelevant in that context, though (i.e. qualifications someone took at least four years ago, whose format is so dissimilar from postgraduate-level work that it says nothing about their suitability)? They might as well just go for the taller candidate, or the one whose name comes first in the alphabet.
Reply 7
Original post by hobnob
Why should it come down to something that is irrelevant in that context, though (i.e. qualifications someone took at least four years ago, whose format is so dissimilar from postgraduate-level work that it says nothing about their suitability)? They might as well just go for the taller candidate, or the one whose name comes first in the alphabet.

Precisely the point I am making. Not sure why my comments are attracting controversy. The OP asked "if universities would look at your A level results if you applied to study for postgraduate" to which I replied "What you got for your bachelor's is all that really matters". After that, I stated that (in the highly unlikely case) if two candidates were equally matched at basically everything, then A-levels might be used. If they were matched at A-levels then perhaps you are right, they might go by who is taller, or (in my opinion the superior choice) who can beat the other in an arm wrestle.
Reply 8
Original post by abdullahmir10
Hey, i just wanted to know if universities would look at your A level results if you applied to study for postgraduate.

Thanks.

Why, are yours bad?
Reply 9
Original post by Zii
Precisely the point I am making. Not sure why my comments are attracting controversy. The OP asked "if universities would look at your A level results if you applied to study for postgraduate" to which I replied "What you got for your bachelor's is all that really matters". After that, I stated that (in the highly unlikely case) if two candidates were equally matched at basically everything, then A-levels might be used. If they were matched at A-levels then perhaps you are right, they might go by who is taller, or (in my opinion the superior choice) who can beat the other in an arm wrestle.

No, this is not the point you're making. You're saying that A-levels - or even GCSEs! - might be used by universities to discriminate between postgraduate applicants (going by the logic: 'Oh what the heck, we might as well look at what this guy's grades in totally unrelated subjects were like back when he was 15'), whereas I'm saying that it would be a completely useless method of discriminating between candidates at that level, which is why universities won't use it.
(edited 11 years ago)
When I applied for postgraduates, I wasn't even required to put in my IB results (I think they were there anyway on the CV I had to attach but it wouldn't have mattered if they weren't) the only thing that was necessary was a university transcript.
Reply 11
It's not specifically asked for, but you're given the option of attaching your CV and in it I'd put my grades (particularly if they're impressive) you want to give yourself the best chance of admission.
Reply 12
Original post by Zii

Well, except that the few unis whose application forms I have looked at don't even ask for high school results (not all of us did A-levels remember) so the chance of this being used even in your hypothetical cases is certainly zero...
Reply 13
I wasn't even asked for A level results for Cambridge, which is probably for the best seeing as my first AS level attempt yielded an impressive U,U,B,A. Needless to say I was a bit of a tearaway during 6th form. I ended up dropping out for 2 years then going back and doing them again in a year. Best decision i ever made.
Original post by hobnob
No. Some application forms might ask you to state them, because universities are interested in this kind of information for statistical purposes, but it won't affect their decision.

I think universities are collecting more of this sort of information.

Looking at the current version of a form I completed three years ago, they now want A level results, school attended, employment history and other programmes applied for elsewhere. They also want a lot more information about residency/nationality including copy passports even for Brits.

None of that was wanted three years ago.
Reply 15
Original post by nulli tertius
I think universities are collecting more of this sort of information.

Looking at the current version of a form I completed three years ago, they now want A level results, school attended, employment history and other programmes applied for elsewhere. They also want a lot more information about residency/nationality including copy passports even for Brits.

None of that was wanted three years ago.

Apart from the residency / nationality stuff, though, which is obviously visa-related, can you seriously imagine any university collecting this kind of information for any other reason than to compile statistics about the sort of applicants they get?
Reply 16
I think only one university (KCL) asked me to list my A-levels. Otherwise Cambridge, Imperial, UCL and QMUL did not ask for any other detail beyond my degree.

If a university does ask for it, I doubt it would have much bearing on the outcome of your application.
Do Universities look at A-Level results?

Do bears **** in the woods?
Reply 18
I agree that in general A level results are not relevant.

However, they may occasionally be good to put in your application. If this is the case, it is usually the subject that is more relevant than the grades - though if you did badly that may not look too good.

For example: I have a BA in Classical Archaeology and I'm looking at studying PG level conservation in museums. Conservation requires in depth scientific knowledge, and the course specifies that knowledge of Chemistry equivalent to A-level will be required. The fact that I already have an A-level in Chemistry therefore is very relevant.

If the forms *do* ask you about A-levels, like other people on here, I'm sceptical as to whether universities ever look at these for anything other than statistical reasons. If there is a reason why you think you need to emphasise a particular A-level then you should say this in your personal statement (I'm presuming the OP is asking about a taught masters?). Caution though - if the A-level is not relevant and the course does not ask for it then I'd personally not include it. You don't want to end up sounding like the only thing that qualifies you for the PG course of your choice is your A-levels.

So basically, they can be relevant if you are departing slightly from your UG degree, but not otherwise.
Also I thought I'd add when I went to various postgrad open days I was specifically told that 6th form Advanced Highers/A Levels/IB results had no effect on your degree place and/or funding. What was important instead was your transcript, your research statement/statement of intent, your submitted university work and your references. Having received feedback on my applications, I was told my essays and research statements were crucial in obtaining the offers I did receive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending