The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Veeveevee
Cool! Did you book it directly from BA or through some agency/sites? I happened to know about this travel agency, STA travel, which seems to provide student airfares. Not sure if they are really cheaper... Has anyone bought from them before?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I booked direct. STA costs about 110 bucks more but the "student fare" allows you to bring an extra check in luggage back(23kg). I didnt need the extra weight so i just booked direct!
Original post by iamlovinit05
I booked direct. STA costs about 110 bucks more but the "student fare" allows you to bring an extra check in luggage back(23kg). I didnt need the extra weight so i just booked direct!

Right!! I was almost convinced by STA. thanks for the useful info! Have you done your Visa then?

So you're not planning to go back to Singapore during the summer break?

Not a home sick type of person I assume?
Original post by Student-S
So you're not planning to go back to Singapore during the summer break?

Not a home sick type of person I assume?

Not sure if I'm coming back yet. Don't know if i have the finances. Would you be going back?
Reply 3424
haha don't go back during summer break, go book contiki tours and travel around europe, or home stay with international friends... go germany try some w33ds..

if only my parents allow...
Original post by jonobebe
haha don't go back during summer break, go book contiki tours and travel around europe, or home stay with international friends... go germany try some w33ds..

if only my parents allow...

I know right! I was hoping I could go on a road trip or holiday with whoever. But I guess I'll just go back for a month maybe to see my Singaporean friends! hahaha

Did you also book a one-way ticket?

hey do you mean BA allows 1 bag of 23kg for free while STA allows two?
Original post by pandapower
hey do you mean BA allows 1 bag of 23kg for free while STA allows two?

STA is just a travel agency. If u book a BA flight through them, you get the option to buy a "student fare" which is basically discounted extra luggage!
STA is just a travel agency. If u book a BA flight through them, you get the option to buy a "student fare" which is basically discounted extra luggage!

So 110 bucks for one extra luggage?

Is that cheap? I will need to bring a lot of stuff over to the UK (it will be cold soon enough) and I'm worried I will go over 23kg!
Original post by ofssinfoxes

Is that cheap? I will need to bring a lot of stuff over to the UK (it will be cold soon enough) and I'm worried I will go over 23kg!

The 110 bucks is to Manchester on a BA flight.

I'm not sure where you are going so the rates might be different. What you should do is go to the airlines website, check the price there. Then call STA or any other travel agency and compare.
Reply 3430
I know right! I was hoping I could go on a road trip or holiday with whoever. But I guess I'll just go back for a month maybe to see my Singaporean friends! hahaha

Did you also book a one-way ticket?

haven't book... but should be one way ticket.

extra baggage more expensive than $110 for one extra luggage???

haven't book... but should be one way ticket.
extra baggage more expensive than $110 for one extra luggage???

I'm probably going for 2 way tix as im planning on returning for the summer 3 month break and it's cheaper also around 800sgd per sector that is 1600sgd (return trip) compared to 1097sgd (one way). For the benefit of ppl on here who havent booked their tix, ba only allows u to book 355 days in advance (for return tix) so im waiting till june to book my tix. I've already booked for my parents 2way and added extra baggage at 40gbp or 80sgd per-23kg. Do note that if u exceed 23 for any bag they may not be as forgiving as SQ and there is a penalty charge of 40gbp on the spot for even 1kg of excess weight. Anything above 32kg is considered air freight and is handled differently( dont know if this info is relevant for anyone lol[editor: what!! are u planning to bring bricks over??!?]).

hope this helps guys!
Original post by DuckaDore
I'm probably going for 2 way tix as im planning on returning for the summer 3 month break and it's cheaper also around 800sgd per sector that is 1600sgd (return trip) compared to 1097sgd (one way). For the benefit of ppl on here who havent booked their tix, ba only allows u to book 355 days in advance (for return tix) so im waiting till june to book my tix. I've already booked for my parents 2way and added extra baggage at 40gbp or 80sgd per-23kg. Do note that if u exceed 23 for any bag they may not be as forgiving as SQ and there is a penalty charge of 40gbp on the spot for even 1kg of excess weight. Anything above 32kg is considered air freight and is handled differently( dont know if this info is relevant for anyone lol[editor: what!! are u planning to bring bricks over??!?]).

hope this helps guys!

Dude book 1 way. Buy your return tix from the UK. its way cheaper.
Reply 3433
Nope I'm arriving one day early and staying in a nearby B&B. I dont know about your uni but mine offers the option for early arrival! Did you check with the office?

Hey can u share with me the contact details and website of the B&B place u going to stay?

hope this helps guys!

Thanks for the info!
Reply 3435

hope this helps guys!

ok so its max 23kg per bag, and each person only allowed to bring 2 bags??
so technically speaking, each person max 46kg?

i think i am booking the extra baggage too... so many tools to bring...and all metal some more...
Hey can u share with me the contact details and website of the B&B place u going to stay?

I haven't booked the B&B yet, but I got the details from my universities website(accomodation page) some give discount if you state that you're visiting the nearby uni!

Dude book 1 way. Buy your return tix from the UK. its way cheaper.

Yeah I heard its cheaper but I'm not sure whats the margin, do u have any info on it?
Original post by jaenvin
Where are you studying Fashion at? Central Saint Martins? London College of Fashion?
I am studying art disciplines, but I will only be going to University 2 years later, as I decided to take my A Levels there first before bumping head on into University.

ill be at lcf! what subj are u gonna be studying?
Heard from my friend who's over there, BA allows 1-time change of return date F-O-C. Not sure if they still do now.

Quick Reply

Latest