The Student Room Group

you can't use the KFC drive thru if you're a pedestrian

Ok, yes drive-thrus are designed for cars. BUT a KFC restaurant is being renovated in my town. The toilets, seating and counters etc inside are all being replaced. But the kitchen and thus the drive-thru is still operational.

Someone I know wanted a meal from this fast-food place (there weren't any others nearby open at the time they went.) But they don't drive. They say it wasn't busy so there weren't other cars about.

They ordered what they wanted through the microphone thingy. But when they got to the serving window, they weren't served because 'they weren't in a car, and this is a drive-thru.' !!!

:rofl: It is rather ammusing. But the food was already prepared and packaged for them! So they wasted food and lost money - although it wouldn't make mcuh difference to such a big company.

Would you expected to be served if you were my friend? Would you serve the person if you were the KFC employer?

Is there an official rule against it? Normally my friend would go into the restaurant to order, but he couldn't!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What a bizarre little story
Reply 2
I know it's bizarre. I can understand them under normal circumstances, telling you to go inside, but that wasn't an option. I know independant restaurants don't have drive-thrus, but if this happened at a place that only had the one restaurant, they'd probably let you do it.

It's probably to do with health and safety. But my friend had already spent all the time they needed on the road/track of the drive-thru, he was about to leave. And it's not like he's soo short that cars behind wouldn't see him and run him over.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I tried cycling through a drive through at McDonalds once as I did not have a bike lock. But they would not serve me.
I work at McDonald's and I have honestly never heard of this happening. It would be a bit odd and we would probably all have a good laugh about it in the crew room after but I cant say whether or not we would serve someone who did that.
Original post by Clare~Bear
Ok, yes drive-thrus are designed for cars. BUT a KFC restaurant is being renovated in my town. The toilets, seating and counters etc inside are all being replaced. But the kitchen and thus the drive-thru is still operational.

Someone I know wanted a meal from this fast-food place (there weren't any others nearby open at the time they went.) But they don't drive. They say it wasn't busy so there weren't other cars about.

They ordered what they wanted through the microphone thingy. But when they got to the serving window, they weren't served because 'they weren't in a car, and this is a drive-thru.' !!!

:rofl: It is rather ammusing. But the food was already prepared and packaged for them! So they wasted food and lost money - although it wouldn't make mcuh difference to such a big company.

Would you expected to be served if you were my friend? Would you serve the person if you were the KFC employer?

Is there an official rule against it? Normally my friend would go into the restaurant to order, but he couldn't!

I doubt they're bound at that point to sell him the food. Odd decision on their part though.
Reply 6
I think they should have served him.

I always thought of doing that myself. I never had the courage though :colone:
The same happened to my local McDonalds recently, and when I was in the drive-thru some guy just walked up to the last window and walked off about 2 minutes later with a meal O_o Maybe he was one of the few people who tried that?

On a slightly unrelated note, the drive-thru had been recently renovated to add a screen and microphone used to order. The guy in front of me drove right past it (probably not noticing you had to order there), paid for my meal and drove off with my meal. Still got my meal though, but I think I ended up paying less and he screwed up the orders for people behind me.
I thunk it's just some people being stuck up and ****, me and some friends of mine wanted a mc Donalds after a night out, the inside was closed ( was 2 in the morning after all) so we went through the drive thru... We got served fine, no problems.

I can't see as to how there would be any sort of policy against it. After all they're making money for providing a service. I can understand if the drive thru was packed and busy...

~Dark~

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT26i
Reply 9
The same happened to me at a McDonald's at about 3 in the morning. They were total *****, saying "It's a drive through for a reason, come back with a car!" We had to wait for a car to come, and get them to order for us and give them our money. It makes no sense, because the staff watched us give money to the guy in the car, and then served his order of about 6 different meals :tongue: ****ing idiots
(edited 11 years ago)
This happens all the time at the McDonald's near us which has a 24 drive through. People go on the way back from nights out, and don't get served walking. There's a taxi rank on the same street though, so quite a lot of people take a taxi through the drive-through haha
Reply 11
Original post by seanfromtheblock
This happens all the time at the McDonald's near us which has a 24 drive through. People go on the way back from nights out, and don't get served walking. There's a taxi rank on the same street though, so quite a lot of people take a taxi through the drive-through haha

That would make an expensive McDs.

Unless there's an actual rule agaisnt it, I don't see how they can justify not serving you.
Reply 12
Well McDonalds employees are known to be a bit hard of thinking.
Reply 13
This was KFC.
Reply 14
Where I'm from, at McDonalds, people walk through BUT mime as though they were in a car. Like mime rolling the window down, and putting the handbrake on. Hehe.
Reply 15
Original post by Catherine.
Where I'm from, at McDonalds, people walk through BUT mime as though they were in a car. Like mime rolling the window down, and putting the handbrake on. Hehe.

:lolwut:

:rofl:
McDonald's, KFC... It shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. Either way theyre getting money.

I dont know, maybe it's just stupid management?

~Dark~

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT26i
Reply 17
I've seen photos of people riding horses through drive-thrus. I'm not sure if they got served though :P
In other news you can't use the restaurant while in a car, who'd have thought it? :eek:
Most of them probably have a policy against it, in case a car comes by and runs you over and you/your family sue. Which makes sense. This photo makes me laugh everytime, I've heard it's Irish students on a J1 in US...looks like they're not getting served either!

Latest

Trending

Trending