The Student Room Group

OCR M1 - 31st May 2012 :)

Scroll to see replies

Great solutions, thanks for posting.
I may be wrong but....
I think 5.) (iii) where you're finding the height of the mass above the ground might be slightly less then it should.

As you have found the distance that the more massive mass travels before hitting the floor, I think you need to multiply this by 2 as the less the massive mass travels an equal distance upwards away form the floor.
So final height should be
H = (0.11025) X 2 + 0.0275625
H = 0.2480625 metres
EDIT: what they said ^^
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 661
^^ The questions Mr Ward got wrong have already been acknowleged above.

^ PreciseUrination: I'd assume one, maybe at most two marks (one for not counting it, one for an incorrect answer).
Original post by ward309
Here are the full worked solutions.

Mr Ward
Belgrave High School

Hi, If i didnt double the 0.11025 on question 5(iii) like you did, how many marks will I lose? got the same answer as you for that one.
For 5iii) I got 0.137 :/
Reply 664
Original post by charliebick
Hi, If i didnt double the 0.11025 on question 5(iii) like you did, how many marks will I lose? got the same answer as you for that one.

somebody said on the previous page that it was 1 mark.

Anyone have any idea how many marks I would lose for 7 iii when I worked out velocity to be 2.83 but being the idiot I am I wrote down 2.81 for the momentum bit (but I did write v=2.83 from the V=3.1-3t^2) and eventually found out velocity to be 1.405 and rounded it to 1.41.
Reply 665
Original post by As_Dust_Dances_
For 5iii) I got 0.137 :/

I got the same :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
How many marks would you lose if for qu 2ii) I did u=7 t=0.9 a=-9.8 and s=s then got an answer of 2.331? I think I forgot about the downwards distance...
Original post by wilky94

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I'm guessing it's because you forgot to double 0.11025 before adding on that extra distance at the end
Reply 668
Original post by Choppyy
Looks like 50/72. I'm fuming. Pressure on the C4 exam now!

I feel I got around that too, at least you have got 3 weeks to revise for C4, did you do C3 in january? :wink:
Reply 669
Original post by charliebick

one mark
Reply 670
Original post by WildBerry
Any idea what 50/72 would be ?

Forgot the sign for the last acceleration , and messed up the one where it 'stays' in equilibrium as I said it wouldnt ffs as I calculated the friction force wrong.

i think its probably a B :smile:
Reply 671
Original post by wilky94

don't feel bad man, i got the method roughly right on all the questions but my answers were mostly wrong :frown:

it makes me upset to see so many confident, smart people on here answering everybody's questions when i did pretty bad myself
Reply 672
^ I wouldn't worry about comparing yourself to people on TSR. This is a community of what I'd say is generally the higher end of the student world, so on here almost everyone will find plently of people smarter than them.
Reply 673
These exams from OCR this Summer have been a real turn-up for the cards; exams are changing. Let's hope for good grade boundaries. Fingers crossed.
You probably did a lot better than you think. Working marks can often you get you full marks [-1] or [-2].
Reply 675
Original post by 710
These exams from OCR this Summer have been a real turn-up for the cards; exams are changing. Let's hope for good grade boundaries. Fingers crossed.

Whereas Edexcel do the same thing year in year out. Nothing challenging in their papers.
Original post by Anon 17
^ I wouldn't worry about comparing yourself to people on TSR. This is a community of what I'd say is generally the higher end of the student world, so on here almost everyone will find plently of people smarter than them.

I totally agree guys, there's always people better than you. If people generally thought it was reasonably hard (as seems the consensus) on tsr, then I guess that most people found it was very hard. To be honest, the people doing further maths at my school (and therefore doing m2 this year) found m1 predictably easy having had experience with m2 and therefore got more used to m1, however, the vast majority of people who were just taking m1 this year found it extremely difficult. Rest assured, there won't be high grade boundaries.
Be confident :smile: remember the high amounts of marks available for working too, and that there is error carried forward :smile:
Reply 677
I reckon I've got 64-66/72, depending on working marks.

I'm glad it's over, I can't stand Mechanics, roll on C4! What to do people think the grade boundaries will be?
Reply 678
Original post by Nathdragon5
I totally agree guys, there's always people better than you. If people generally thought it was reasonably hard (as seems the consensus) on tsr, then I guess that most people found it was very hard. To be honest, the people doing further maths at my school (and therefore doing m2 this year) found m1 predictably easy having had experience with m2 and therefore got more used to m1, however, the vast majority of people who were just taking m1 this year found it extremely difficult. Rest assured, there won't be high grade boundaries.
Be confident :smile: remember the high amounts of marks available for working too, and that there is error carried forward :smile:

I agree, it was a difficult paper, however I feel that with there being two 'show that...' questions, they may set the grade boundaries higher than they otherwise would.

I really do hate the concept of UMS though - why can't they just ensure that every paper is as hard as the other, and make it a set mark to get an A, or a B etc (e.g always 58 for an A..)
Bit later than usual (sorry - I had a meeting) but answers are here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2018147

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending