The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Woke up and thought it was Friday. Was so gutted when I realised lol!

Apparently, with the weather being bad, the jubilee thing is in doubt. That would mean I have an empty maths lesson to fill, on the hop. Really keeping my fingers crossed that it goes ahead! Not being able to teach something you've prepared is bad, but I think - as you mentioned - having to teach things without any preparation is worse lol.

On the upside, the teacher I run Tennis Club with after school has cancelled it today - she sent the letter home yesterday. So good! I enjoy it and the kids like it, but we would have to do it inside [rather than on the field], which isn't so good due to the small room. Plus, it means that I should either get away from school up to an hour earlier or I can get some of my Big Write marking done at school. Yay! :biggrin:
Unsuccessful interview number 6... getting really fed up now :frown:
Original post by Suzanathema
Unsuccessful interview number 6... getting really fed up now :frown:

I'm so sorry. I hope things work out for you soon.:console:
Original post by Becca
Sorry to hear that. How did the lesson pan out after your worries, though? (I'm MFL too, so I'm nosy :p: )

The lesson was probably more of a lesson for me than it was for them actually, in terms of teaching for 25 minutes... it went OKish, probably shouldn't have rushed them quite so much to even try to get the formal/informal language in as we had literally 2 minutes before I was stopped and I had to fit the tiniest bit of AfL in! The main part with discussing soap opera characters went OK though- apart from the listening activity which I decided to read out rather than faff around with a recording- really should have done that as recordings seem to command listening more easily!

The school did pass my contact details to another school nearby(ish), and they left a message today saying they want to speak to me about inviting me for an interview after half term, so I need to call them tomorrow... something positive I guess!
Original post by noodles!

The school did pass my contact details to another school nearby(ish), and they left a message today saying they want to speak to me about inviting me for an interview after half term, so I need to call them tomorrow... something positive I guess!

That's good news. Jobs often come about that way. The other good thing is that now May 31st has passed, nobody currently in a permanent contract can give notice in time to get another job starting in September, so the field is freed up for NQTs.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
That's good news. Jobs often come about that way. The other good thing is that now May 31st has passed, nobody currently in a permanent contract can give notice in time to get another job starting in September, so the field is freed up for NQTs.

I'm obviously not applying for teaching jobs - as I've mentioned on the thread earlier - but that is definitely a good point for those looking. :smile:

At my placement school, there was a bit of juggling around of staff this week. A guy resigned a different school and so a teacher from our school is going to be moving to take up the position [it is more responsibility etc]. [The head is the head at two schools currently.] That meant that there was an opening at my placement school. However, the head wanted an experienced teacher - not an NQT - so he had three days to advertise, interview and appoint a new teacher. Talk about stressful! He has managed it though. Three taught lessons and interviewed today and he appointed someone this afternoon, with them handing their own resignation in just before the deadline.

I can understand the need for a deadline and I can see the benefit for NQTs/out of work teachers, but it definitely creates a demand for a quick pace at this time of year lol. :smile:
So i had an interview yesterday which i felt went really well. they said they would let us know by today because of the deadline for people in post and i still haven't heard anything. i guess i have to assume i didnt get, i think its really rude not to let people know, especially as they only gave us an afternoon to prepare for interview.
Original post by affinity89
I'm obviously not applying for teaching jobs - as I've mentioned on the thread earlier - but that is definitely a good point for those looking. :smile:

At my placement school, there was a bit of juggling around of staff this week. A guy resigned a different school and so a teacher from our school is going to be moving to take up the position [it is more responsibility etc]. [The head is the head at two schools currently.] That meant that there was an opening at my placement school. However, the head wanted an experienced teacher - not an NQT - so he had three days to advertise, interview and appoint a new teacher. Talk about stressful! He has managed it though. Three taught lessons and interviewed today and he appointed someone this afternoon, with them handing their own resignation in just before the deadline.

I can understand the need for a deadline and I can see the benefit for NQTs/out of work teachers, but it definitely creates a demand for a quick pace at this time of year lol. :smile:
Sorry, I keep forgetting if it's you or Noodles or Balloon Parade who's not carrying on. I'm old, you must forgive me.:redface:
Sorry, I keep forgetting if it's you or Noodles or Balloon Parade who's not carrying on. I'm old, you must forgive me.:redface:

Don't be silly. :smile:

You didn't say anything wrong. I only mentioned that I wasn't applying so that it didn't sound like I had done a 180 and changed my mind lol. :redface:

Being in school during an application/interview process has made me even more convinced lol. It must be so scary, especially as the head kept wandering around the school/the staffroom and asking everyone for their opinion on the three candidates. People were so quick to judge and pass remark - not necessarily bad/negative remarks, but remarks all the same.

I have every respect for those on this thread who are applying. It is no easy task... :redface:
Original post by affinity89
Don't be silly. :smile:

You didn't say anything wrong. I only mentioned that I wasn't applying so that it didn't sound like I had done a 180 and changed my mind lol. :redface:

Being in school during an application/interview process has made me even more convinced lol. It must be so scary, especially as the head kept wandering around the school/the staffroom and asking everyone for their opinion on the three candidates. People were so quick to judge and pass remark - not necessarily bad/negative remarks, but remarks all the same.

I have every respect for those on this thread who are applying. It is no easy task... :redface:

It really isn't, you are right. When we as a department are invited to meet the candidates, we all make our minds up pretty quickly if someone is 'one of us'. We've been right pretty much every time, possibly because we're used to having to do it, but also because we're a pretty tight knit bunch, unlike some other departments who squabble like a sack full of cats. So often getting a job isn't so much about the presence in the classroom as whether the person will work well with us. I think it's interesting that we think this way in the English department, whereas the sciences seem to appoint individuals rather than a member of a team, with the result that they all seem chaotic and bonkers and back-stabbing careerists who would knife their own grandmothers. Ooops... I am of course speaking purely hypothetically about a completely mythical school.
I'm so sorry. I hope things work out for you soon.:console:

Thanks, I hope so :smile:

Out of 20 on my course, only 4 are now remaining without permanent jobs for september, which isn't great for my self-esteem!

Out of 20 on my course, only 4 are now remaining without permanent jobs for september, which isn't great for my self-esteem!

Now it's after May 31st, the field is clear for you, so that will help. I know it's cold comfort but I truly believe that it's a question of fitting square pegs into square holes and there are always unknown factors behind the scene. It's really easy to take the rejections very personally - how can you not? - but it's surprisingly often simply things like the fact that one candidate offers netball coaching and the other offers to put on the school production and it just so happens that the drama teacher is threatening to leave if nobody helps him with the play this year. It can be that close. Please don't get too unhappy. If it's meant to be, it'll not pass you by.:smile:
Reply 1292
This half term break cannot come soon enough. Between dissertations, job applications and this placement, I'm absolutely knackered. It feels like I'm going ever so slightly delirious. Need to carry on planning for tomorrow but can't be bothered...

Spoilered for those who won't want to read anything job-related:

Spoiler

Original post by Rainy
This half term break cannot come soon enough. Between dissertations, job applications and this placement, I'm absolutely knackered. It feels like I'm going ever so slightly delirious. Need to carry on planning for tomorrow but can't be bothered...

Spoilered for those who won't want to read anything job-related:

Spoiler

That's excellent news! Well done!

*hugs*
I know that feeling.
My course had 90 on it, although between 5-10 have left. I haven't been very good at keeping in touch with lots of people during placement - I don't seem to have the time - but I know quite a lot have jobs. Almost all of the guys do, even the - not to be rude - slight odd ones lol. :redface: We are arranged into clusters. In my cluster, there are 8 students. So far, four have jobs [two girls, two guys]. Of the remaining four, two are applying for teaching jobs and two [self included in that] are not. I am taking comfort in the fact that one of the others, a really nice guy as it goes, has decided that teaching isn't for him right now too. I was starting to feel like I am one of the only ones on the course lol!

Had a letter from the student loans company today. Terrible sight. It is shocking. They are adding £35 a month on in interest! Before I have even finished studying! By Christmas, my loan will be in excess of £28,000! It is enough to make me want to cry. But, instead, I've decided to apply for jobs. Sent four applications off in the last hour for some pretty random things, but heyho. A job is a job. :redface:

If it helps I'm the ONLY biologist left without a post.
Oh dear. I was applying to do a PGCE, now am worried!
Original post by Presenttime
Oh dear. I was applying to do a PGCE, now am worried!

Don't be, you're always going to see the moans on here but despite all the moaning I love going to school every day. Don't be put off by us!
Original post by noodles!
Don't be, you're always going to see the moans on here but despite all the moaning I love going to school every day. Don't be put off by us!

Yes. Guess I'll have to experience it for myself !
Thanks for the reassurance guys. A few have come up locally that are due after half term, so I'll get my applications together for those :smile:

Original post by myblueheaven339
If it helps I'm the ONLY biologist left without a post.

It helps to know I'm not going through it alone :smile:

At least you're in a priority subject though - I bet you'll find something amazing soon!

My subject's English - so many people train for that, especially in the south west where there's 5 providers (plus OU) in a very small area. It's pretty disheartening...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending