The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mega Nerd
I have over 40 definitions/theories that I need to remember for my exam. I've already got them simplified onto flashcards, but I still find it hard to remember them.

Any suggestions?

Wow

What exam are you doing

TBH you probably need to understand rather than remember
write them over and over again
Reply 3
practice recalling them from your short term memory. If you're just writing them out over and over, or looking at them repeatedly then that won't do **** for your learning.
Reply 4
Flashcards are good - what I did with quotes (for English) was get cards and on the front write one trigger word/memorable word of the quote/definition and on the back the whole one. Then you can test yourself using the trigger word and you'll find that you start to remember them without the trigger.

Otherwise, lots of colours help, posters put up where you'll see them often :smile:
Reply 5
Agree with ten of them, if you find memorising things difficult (or even if you find it easy :wink: ) work on understanding the theory really really well, definitions should then follow more naturally :yep: especially if you've got loads to remember!

I then sometimes try to remember key words to use as hooks from definitions, so that you can check off in your mind that you're remembering all the important information, this then in turn helps with other questions based on that concept :h:
Reply 6
research into every single one of them on internet, and find 100's of definitions and read articles and what not, andf then put them into your own words.
until you understand it, is when you wuill memorise it much easier.
Original post by sreddy17
write them over and over again

Original post by NB_ide
practice recalling them from your short term memory. If you're just writing them out over and over, or looking at them repeatedly then that won't do **** for your learning.

My prefered revision method is writing out 8x times. I learn everything.
Reply 8
Original post by Miracle Day
My prefered revision method is writing out 8x times. I learn everything.

from memory or just straight from your eyes to your hand without thinking about it?
Original post by NB_ide
from memory or just straight from your eyes to your hand without thinking about it?

First 4 times is looking at each point then writing it out.
Next 4 is writingvit blind
Break it down: if you think of it as 40 definitions to learn all at once it can seem really hard- Try to learn it in groups of 5 and give some breaks/gaps between learning each group so you can absorb the info.

The way I learn is by:

-looking (read the word/definition),
-learning(attempt to memorise it just by reading it again/looking at it/saying it out loud etc.)
-covering (put your hand over it)
and testing (try and say the word/definition)
-and repeat until you've got it right at least 3 times

Hope that helps :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 11
You could record the terms and definitions into podcasts, put some backing music(at low volume) and repeat them in your free/study time, it will undoubtedly stick.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 12
Stick them all across like the bathroom door, so when you're next on the loo, you'll be able to look at them and test yourself. Then in the exam, you can relate each word to the room it's in and you'll remember them easily.
Word association is the key :biggrin:
Reply 13
Read it again and again and again. Take the revision cards and read them at every given opportunity to the point where when if somebody asks you for a definition it's almost a reflex to reply with the word to word definition.
grouping into subheadings, and colour-coding accordingly works wonders for me.
this works for flashcards as well

that way, rather than just remembering massive chunks of information, you remember bits and pieces in the right places.

break it up!
Well look at the learn the right way section here
Kind of good stuff
try this...name your each friend or relative with one definition and call them by full definitions.. u vl remember in a funny way,,😁. or..try to write the same definition in ur mother tongue script..
And let me know how it worked
(edited 5 years ago)
You need to be actively learning. So if you are just reading or copying, it won't help your memory.
Flash cards are good only if you genuinely try to remember the definition before looking.
Like the others said, using colours and shapes is also really helpful. And posting them around the house is good too!

this blog has some other tips to memorise stuff https://senecalearning.com/blog/revision-tips/
Reply 18
My sister had to memorize 150 definitions a day
Succ

Latest

Trending

Trending