The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chemistinthemaking
anyone know the molecular mass for graphene?

There is no mr for graphene since it is like a carbon polymer, I think this makes me come to think that it should
be about carbon and the surface area of the earth

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 581
Someone already answered the Gold?
Original post by david2457
There is no mr for graphene since it is like a carbon polymer, I think this makes me come to think that it should

hate this question :frown:
Yeah it's horrible, anyone who has done it yet?

Original post by Bello08
Just got silver, I found it useful to first find out the two middle ones (i.e. the ones that must have 6 not within 50 years).

Do you want a bigger hint?

I've done silver, thanks. :biggrin: It's Gold that I need to do now. Thanks anyway, though. I was just joking. :tongue: :hug:
If anyone gets Rg, pm me, i'm completely stuck.

Search for the mass per m2 for graphene. It's easy to find if you google. That should be a bit of a starting point :smile:
Original post by chemicangel
Search for the mass per m2 for graphene. It's easy to find if you google. That should be a bit of a starting point :smile:

Have you done it?

have you done it? I already have the mass per m2 but I'm not sure what to do with it. I tried dividing the SA of the earth with it. Wrong answer :frown:
Original post by uniflegram
If anyone gets Rg, pm me, i'm completely stuck.

There's a lot of information out there about isomers. I googled and found a page of notes on isomers of octahedral complexes which told me how many isomers there would be for an octahedral complex with 6 different ligands. I then worked out the phosphorus compound from that as well.

You can sit and try and draw out all the isomers, but I can tell you that you'll be there for a while...!
Same for me please! If anyone figures out Rg pm as well :smile:
Have you done it?

Original post by chemistinthemaking
have you done it? I already have the mass per m2 but I'm not sure what to do with it. I tried dividing the SA of the earth with it. Wrong answer :frown:

I have indeed. If you have the mass per m2 of graphene, and the surface area of the Earth in m2 then it is a very simple calculation...
Yeah I see it now lol, just maths

Yeah I see it now lol, just maths

It's one of those ones that sort of stares you in the face, but sometimes you can't see for looking! :smile:
There's a lot of information out there about isomers. I googled and found a page of notes on isomers of octahedral complexes which told me how many isomers there would be for an octahedral complex with 6 different ligands. I then worked out the phosphorus compound from that as well.

You can sit and try and draw out all the isomers, but I can tell you that you'll be there for a while...!

Can't find it, link meh?
Re: Rg
I don't have molymods at home so I am resorting to rolling up pieces of paper, colouring them different colours, blu-tacking them together and seeing how many different stereoisomers I can get until I get bored... Please someone save me from this insanity! Can someone teach me a more scientific method of doing this?
Original post by polkadotty5
Re: Rg
I don't have molymods at home so I am resorting to rolling up pieces of paper, colouring them different colours, blu-tacking them together and seeing how many different stereoisomers I can get until I get bored... Please someone save me from this insanity! Can someone teach me a more scientific method of doing this?

Agreed.
I'm using my molecular modelling set, It's getting fiddly! PM me if you have the figures :biggrin: thanks, I'll love you forever :tongue:
I should sleep with an FP1 exam. later today... in less than 7 hours.... :party: :grumble:

Quick Reply

Latest