The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

How lenient are Lancaster? :D

Hey guys, I know this question has probably been asked before but all threads I found are quite old (from 2008/2009 etc).

I've firmed Lancaster and am predicted AAB for Software Engineering.
Lancaster want ABB.

However, for some reason (I am and always have been a very paranoid person) I just have a feeling that everything will go bleeps up and I won't get the ABB.

Truth is, the only Uni which I've visited, out of all of them Lancaster was the only one I actually liked. I have another uni down as my Insurance with the same ABB offer but I really don't wanna go there lol. My mate put Lancaster down as his firm & insurance, wish I had done that!

Out of interest, as the title says, how lenient are Lancaster as far as grades are concerned? I'm even considering NOT going to Uni & taking a year out to improve my grades if I don't get into Lancaster first time lol. After all, I'd be going to Uni at 17 if I did get in, so an extra year wouldn't hurt, but that's another story.

Also, do Lancaster end up going into clearing? Because I was told that they aren't a popular Uni since a lot more students prefer bigger unis that are in big cities. Does this mean that courses at Lancaster end up being undersubscribed etc?

I'd appreciate any replies :smile:

Cheers!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kya
Hey guys, I know this question has probably been asked before but all threads I found are quite old (from 2008/2009 etc).

I've firmed Lancaster and am predicted AAB for Software Engineering.
Lancaster want ABB.

However, for some reason (I am and always have been a very paranoid person) I just have a feeling that everything will go bleeps up and I won't get the ABB.

Truth is, the only Uni which I've visited, out of all of them Lancaster was the only one I actually liked. I have another uni down as my Insurance with the same ABB offer but I really don't wanna go there lol. My mate put Lancaster down as his firm & insurance, wish I had done that!

Out of interest, as the title says, how lenient are Lancaster as far as grades are concerned? I'm even considering NOT going to Uni & taking a year out to improve my grades if I don't get into Lancaster first time lol. After all, I'd be going to Uni at 17 if I did get in, so an extra year wouldn't hurt, but that's another story.

Also, do Lancaster end up going into clearing? Because I was told that they aren't a popular Uni since a lot more students prefer bigger unis that are in big cities. Does this mean that courses at Lancaster end up being undersubscribed etc?

I'd appreciate any replies :smile:

Cheers!

Lancaster was my insurance choice, also at ABB. I called them, and Manchester, my firm, and they said not very. Manchester for instance didn't let anyone in who missed the grades. Lancaster echoed the same message, but it really depends on how well they deem your application, how much you missed by, how many others didn't get in and the course.

Only expect them, if at all, to keep the offer if you've missed by <4 marks or so really.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by super.teve
Lancaster was my insurance choice, also at ABB. I called them, and Manchester, my firm, and they said not very. Manchester for instance didn't let anyone in who missed the grades. Lancaster echoed the same message, but it really depends on how well they deem your application, how much you missed by, how many others didn't get in and the course.

Only expect them, if at all, to keep the offer if you've missed by <4 marks or so really.

Fair enough.
Thing is again, other people have claimed that Lancaster in the past have let people in with much less grades without a problem. But obviously this may have changed. Simultaneously, I would expect them to say that they wouldn't accept people who miss the grades over the phone since it wouldn't look good for them.
Thanks for the reply anyways! Much appreciated!
Original post by Kya
Fair enough.
Thing is again, other people have claimed that Lancaster in the past have let people in with much less grades without a problem. But obviously this may have changed. Simultaneously, I would expect them to say that they wouldn't accept people who miss the grades over the phone since it wouldn't look good for them.
Thanks for the reply anyways! Much appreciated!

It doesn't look bad, they're giving the most honest advice they can. People do get in when they miss the grades, but it's not the norm.
Good luck!
In years gone by, they did have a reputation for being lenient. However, the past two or three years has seen the popularity of the university shoot up as people start to realise just how great it is. Last year, there were a lot of students rejected for just missing the grades - unfortunately.

There is no point worrying about it. Focus on your exams and then on having a great summer.
How lenient each course admin tutor is will depend on the other applicants - how many people meet their full offer etc. It is very hard to predict in advance. :smile:
Reply 5
Well, I've applied to study Computer Science and I have firmed Lancaster. The offer was ABB including Computing.

(They have this on the conditions section:
The achievement of an equivalent combination of grades will be considered but
cannot automatically
be accepted as meeting the terms of this offer.)

I was wondering if they would accept AAB or A*AB without Computing? (Yes, I've read the above) but does anybody have experience with this? How likely are they to accept my grades? (Also my friend has firmed the same course with the same grades except his is just ABB) I have emailed them and I'm awaiting their reply, but what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Well, I've applied to study Computer Science. The offer was ABB including Computing.

cannot automatically

I was wondering if they would accept AAB or A*AB without Computing? (Yes, I've read the above) but does anybody have experience with this? How likely are they to accept my grades? (Also my friend has firmed the same course with the same grades except his is just ABB) I have emailed them and I'm awaiting their reply, but what do you guys think?

Reply 7
Well I'm first year and studying Management Science I needed ABB but only got BBB and they let me in. It is mainly down to the department really. For Management Science there isn't a lot of people applying for it so they let you drop a grade.
Reply 8
Original post by PlopNofear
Well I'm first year and studying Management Science I needed ABB but only got BBB and they let me in. It is mainly down to the department really. For Management Science there isn't a lot of people applying for it so they let you drop a grade.

Fair enough! I don't think Software Engineering is that popular either as opposed to Computer Science, but I might be wrong.
Anyways, I'd be better off revising than posting this to make sure I do get the grades! hehe
Reply 9
Thanks Danti!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
VERY!

I got in through clearing in summer 2010 for psychology, and managed to defer to summer 2011, change course 3 times and get my 1st choice accommodation on campus!
Reply 11
Original post by hazzypants
VERY!

I got in through clearing in summer 2010 for psychology, and managed to defer to summer 2011, change course 3 times and get my 1st choice accommodation on campus!

What were your grades if you don't mind me asking, as opposed to their normal offers? :smile:

Reply 12
Original post by JJFletcher
Well, I've applied to study Computer Science. The offer was ABB including Computing.

cannot automatically

I got that bit on the end too :smile:
Perhaps that might mean they like us? lol

EDIT: since they haven't specified they want a particular grade in computing, as long as you meet an ABB at A2 you should be fine.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by hazzypants
VERY!

Iv applied for psych! Is it good?x
I think they have been lenient in the past but last year they weren't at all. I guess it depends on the department but they have risen in popularity recently.

Last year the university didn't enter clearing at all.
Last year they were lenient with a few people on my course. Offer was AAB, a friend of mine got in with ABC and another with ABB. But this is English Literature, which is a completely different pile of cake.
Reply 16
I think it really depends on the demand of the course.
The day before I got my results (I'm going to Lancaster the last day of this month to start my first year), I checked the clearing courses and offers. There were lots of courses on there, and they were allowing people in with ABB when the offer was AAB.
However, courses that involved the management school, mathematics and sciences etc, generally weren't on there.
My friend wanted to do accounting and finance... The offer was AAB and she got BBB. They didn't let her in and said that no one could get in with BBB. However, I've seen people on here for other courses that have got in with BBB.
So, to conclude, it depends on the demand of the course and how many people succeed in achieving the entry requirements. All you can do it your best :-)

Reply 17
Hello

I got an offer of AAB for Biomedical Science but the admissions tutor told me there was a good chance of getting in with ABB. However, say that I messed up one of my exams and got A*BC (A* in English Language) what are the chances I would still get in ANYWHERE?

Thanks a bunch
Millie
Reply 18
My friend needed AAB for his course back in 2011, and only managed to get a AAC so they rejected him.
Like everyone has said, it really depends on the course, but from my experience they are very flexible once you get there. In terms of getting in I think they probably are getting stricter as their reputation keeps growing.

To be honest though, you are predicted AAB and need ABB... you've got the opportunity to drop a grade and you are still fine! If you have one not so great exam you should still be okay, so I wouldn't worry too much! Just work hard and you should be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending