The Student Room Group

People who get A* in Eng Lit are smarter than the people who do the same in Science?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alevelsareboring
How is English memorizing, there is a reason why not many people get A's in English Literature, Maths and Science etc at A Level, because they require different skills.

English has little to do with memorizing, you can remember a quote from Macbeth but to know how to apply it and interpret the language etc is a different skill.

Physics - remember an equation, apply it to a new situation and explain how & why.
what an absurd statement! each to their own i suppose
viva la STEM
Why stop there? Let's go the full mile and say people that do English degrees are smarter than those studying Medicine, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering and Biology. :dunce:
Reply 23
I'd debate the idea that GCSE grades are in anyway a reliable measure of intelligence. Personally I think it's just a different skill set, you can learn to analyse text and find context, it is a skill as is being able to solve equations and derive formulae.
Reply 24
Original post by audi_turbo
I guess that what you're saying is true, but in English we get told many sophisticated points by the teachers and then if you put this in your exam then the skill that's been used is memorising.

You will never get the top grades by doing that though, honestly it's absolutely obvious to the examiners when a student is thinking for themselves and when they're regurgitating what they've been told and the grade will reflect that 99 times out of 100.

At any rate as all subjects are dependent upon knowledge all subjects require you to commit information to memory and recollect it at will.
Reply 25
Original post by Alevelsareboring
Who else agrees? I was having this argument with a couple people; me and my friend do writing subjects and are predicted A/A*'s and the people who we were debating with are Science/Maths students predicted the same.

I think subjects like Maths and Science especially are synoptic, it's more to do with being able to remember things like atoms and molecules than raw talent. Maths is a lil different because you have to be smart to understand mathematical concepts etc, but overall i think it's synoptic. I think if your mind can absorb loads of knowledge easily then you will excel at both subjects.

English Literature on the other hand takes raw talent, English students who do well have the ability to interpret a piece of Literature in numerous ways, which takes skill. It's not just knowing what the makes an atom or what x + y is which can be learned through intense revision. It's more to do with raw talent, English Students writing is stylized, cohesive and structured, it takes skill to be able to structure a piece of writing and analyse texts etc.

I dunno, that's just what i think, i'm not saying it's right so don't go all crazy on me, i just want opinions.

I got an A* at gcse english and english literature whilst being predicted an A* at A level history, whilst i failed maths because i couldnt grasp the concept. If anything, those who get A* at maths or science are smarter, but i dont believe its to do with the level of inteligence as opposed to what someone is naturally suited to.
english lit. exercises your analysing skills and how you perceive writing and literature, which for some people is extremely difficult, especially for the more scientifically orientated. The vocabulary range of a person is often a reflection of how well spoken and possibly how intelligent they actually are.

yes it helps to be good at science if say you have a photographic memory, but it's much more than that. It's about finding solutions to problems and working efficiently, being able to work with other people to carry out experiments correctly and accurately. Maths is nearly a measure of intelligence. It's about understanding concepts and principles and being able to apply them.
its hard to compare the subjects as they all require different skills. In addition, there'll always be the element of which you prefer, if you don't enjoy science related subjects you'll find it harder to study it, same with essay subjects. Also it'll depend on which you've practiced the most and which you are generally better at. Plus, you may sail through GCSE physics, but at A-level, you may have got to the stage where you can't grasp anything much more, and find it hard to understand the concepts, so you're point is abit hard to comment on. Whereas English friends of mine found it harder at GCSE (purely as they found it abit boring) and are coping well with A-level as they find it more interesting.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Username_valid
Disagree. Try doing physics, you could read through everything and memorise everything but if you don't understand what you're reading and can't interpret and apply what you've learnt, then you'll most definitely struggle.

So with you on this. To be good at English you need to be good at English but to be good at Physics you need to be good at Maths, Science, logical thinking among others... the list is much longer. I hope that makes sense.

Before anyone gets mad and thinks I'm being a Physics elitist, I aced English at school but couldn't grasp Physics formulas because my Maths is so terrible.
Original post by Josh93
You will never get the top grades by doing that though, honestly it's absolutely obvious to the examiners when a student is thinking for themselves and when they're regurgitating what they've been told and the grade will reflect that 99 times out of 100.

At any rate as all subjects are dependent upon knowledge all subjects require you to commit information to memory and recollect it at will.

How come I'm on an A*?
Reply 30
Maybe you mean to say that studying for sciences is very direct, since there is a certain syllabus that you have to read through,know, and understand, and good marks will pretty much be ensured then.But when studying for literature, you have to figure out your own ways to look at the content you're supposed to study and don't have a 'direct' method to study it.It's about HOW you look at the content instead of the content itself.
Otherwise, you cant say that lit students are smarter..different people have different skills. =)
Reply 31
When you say sciences are easier because it's just memorising facts, I'm sure all AQA A2 biology students will understand when I say:

SHREWS.
Original post by karousel
So with you on this. To be good at English you need to be good at English but to be good at Physics you need to be good at Maths, Science, logical thinking among others... the list is much longer. I hope that makes sense.

Before anyone gets mad and thinks I'm being a Physics elitist, I aced English at school but couldn't grasp Physics formulas because my Maths is so terrible.

Completely agree. Most people in our sixth form struggle with the physics not necessarily because they don't understand the science but a lot of the time they find it hard to interpret what the question is actually asking you.
Original post by Michaelking
Physics - remember an equation, apply it to a new situation and explain how & why.

If only it were as simple as that .... If only
Speaking as a year 13 who takes Maths, Further Maths, English Literature, and Physics at A2 level, I really disagree with the title of this thread- it's impossible to make such sweeping generalisations, even if you do both humanity and science subjects (and especially wrong to make such judgements if you don't do both.) Plus, I'd argue that they're actually far more similar than you think, just assessed slightly differently; in my final English Literature exam in a few weeks, I'll be tested to see how I can analyse the unseen extracts, form an argument and respond intelligently to a question, as well as how well I can communicate my ideas and use my wider reading knowledge (quotes and the such like). Essentially, that's a process which involves analysing data, and using that as evidence to logically express a point. It's almost the same in my physics exam; the question will provide information, which I'll then have to utilize to form a convincing conclusion. True, one exam might involve using fancy phrasing and quotes, and the other numerical values and formulas, but essentially, they can both be approached in the same way, and ultimately, studying English Literature with make me a better scientist, and being a physicist will make a better, more critical reader.
Pahahahahaa good one.

By the way, I did both english lit and sciences, and I can tell you for a fact that science is far more difficult and also far more respected.

Now go read a book or something
Original post by Elzie
When you say sciences are easier because it's just memorising facts, I'm sure all AQA A2 biology students will understand when I say:

SHREWS.

Amen to that!
God I hate AQA Bio
Bit silly to post on TSR, you were always doomed to get the negs from the medical students :h:

This isn't really an argument that will actually get a winner, because what you take as 'intelligence' is quite variable within people. Some people think being able to write, analyse, arguing and using your mind and imagination to a higher level is a really clever thing to do, and others think knowing why we exist on the planet and how everything works around us is the epitome of intelligence. It's learning such different skills, and if you're doing it at A-level and University, it's bound to be hard whichever one you do! Being capable at English is not going to make you intelligent in a completely different field, and the same in every single subject in existence.

Having said that, the difficulty and uses of Humanities are really under rated, especially on here.
(edited 11 years ago)
The OP is effectively putting down Maths/Science as subjects on The Student Room, of all places, and yet has the veracity to suggest others are less intelligent?

OP, you haven't thought this one through.
Original post by The Doggfather
It's hard to compare the subjects, completely different and require different skills. It's why you'll rarely see someone doing something like English Lit, History, Chemistry, Maths! But I definitely think that Sciences are much harder, it's not just about memorising large pieces of information, there's alot of application too.

Funny enough at my sixth form, especially in my year (current year 12) it is not so rare to see someone doing this actually I know of a few but it might be anomlaiy and they say it's a balance of both end of the spectrum.

Myself: I do all the stated subjects instead of English Lit i do Philosophy.....so perhaps not as rare as you may thing :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending