The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ttoby
If your maths a-level has already been certificated and you have your final grade then it may already be fixed where it is. If not then then that process should happen automatically.

If you're not sure then it's worth checking with your exams officer although in most cases this process should happen automatically anyway if they're doing the paperwork correctly.

Original post by Ree69
Just adding to ttoby above, I imagine you're probably entered for re-certification anyway for maths A-Level (seeing as you're resitting C3). So having your modules 'fixed' to single maths won't be an issue.

In reply to both of you:
I'm in year 13 so have my maths AS level.
I started Further maths AS this year so won't be getting a full a level just AS.
I am resitting C3 yes......
Will it all be ok then?
Reply 5121
Original post by BeccaCath94
In reply to both of you:
I'm in year 13 so have my maths AS level.
I started Further maths AS this year so won't be getting a full a level just AS.
I am resitting C3 yes......
Will it all be ok then?

You'll probably be ok, but it doesn't hurt to check to make sure.
Original post by ttoby
You'll probably be ok, but it doesn't hurt to check to make sure.

Ok great :smile:
I'll ask my maths teacher :P
Thank you :smile:
If anyone's got any questions about anything, I've just finished my first year studying Maths at Sheffield and would be happy to answer anything :smile:

Good luck with your exams everyone!
Original post by queen bert99
If anyone's got any questions about anything, I've just finished my first year studying Maths at Sheffield and would be happy to answer anything :smile:

Good luck with your exams everyone!

Ooh!
Is Maths harder at Uni compared to A level?

I feel really bad as I loved Sheffield uni but I had 3 that i loved and chose the other two :frown:
Ooh!

A lot harder. But it's also more interesting...
Original post by shamika
A lot harder. But it's also more interesting...

My maths teacher only graduated from a maths degree about 4 years ago and didnt fill me with much confidence!! haha
Do you find its fairly easy to pick up or are there some things that are just impossible (obviously they arent but most of A level maths can be picked up fairly quickly...)
My maths teacher only graduated from a maths degree about 4 years ago and didnt fill me with much confidence!! haha
Do you find its fairly easy to pick up or are there some things that are just impossible (obviously they arent but most of A level maths can be picked up fairly quickly...)

My personal experience is that I found some courses really easy and some very very hard. However everyone is different and so you might find different things easy and hard. I find lots of things impossible in maths, so don't feel you're the only one if you're in that situation.

You will have to work for a degree - the pace is a lot faster than A-Level. But you already knew that :smile: Remember that it's also a huge huge amount of fun too!

It's only natural to think about uni right now, but resist that temptation right now. Get through your A-Levels, chill out for a couple of months and enjoy uni. Best of luck (and to everyone else too!)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by shamika
My personal experience is that I found some courses really easy and some very very hard. However everyone is different and so you might find different things easy and hard. I find lots of things impossible in maths, so don't feel you're the only one if you're in that situation.

You will have to work for a degree - the pace is a lot faster than A-Level. But you already knew that :smile: Remember that it's also a huge huge amount of fun too!

It's only natural to think about uni right now, but resist that temptation right now. Get through your A-Levels, chill out for a couple of months and enjoy uni. Best of luck (and to everyone else too!)

Ahh thats fair enough i guess. And maths is such a wide subject theres plenty of courses/modules to suit everyone!
Haha that is very true!! A levels are said to be harder than uni....
Hmm i know!! I'm trying! :tongue: But it keeps drawing you back - accomodation, student finance.....
Ooh!

I feel really bad as I loved Sheffield uni but I had 3 that i loved and chose the other two :frown:

As Shamika said, it is a lot harder, but I find it more rewarding. And there's more variety too. Most of it builds on what you learnt from A level so it doesn't feel too much of a jump, there's just a hell of a lot more to learn, most of which is more complicated! My one main piece of advice would be to keep up with the work as you go along, as it's a lot harder to cram at the end. 3 of my modules were year long modules, and there's so much stuff that by the time you finish going over everything, you've forgotten the stuff you went over first! Don't feel daunted by uni maths though, you get used to it very quickly :smile:
As Shamika said, it is a lot harder, but I find it more rewarding. And there's more variety too. Most of it builds on what you learnt from A level so it doesn't feel too much of a jump, there's just a hell of a lot more to learn, most of which is more complicated! My one main piece of advice would be to keep up with the work as you go along, as it's a lot harder to cram at the end. 3 of my modules were year long modules, and there's so much stuff that by the time you finish going over everything, you've forgotten the stuff you went over first! Don't feel daunted by uni maths though, you get used to it very quickly :smile:

Oh goodness!! This makes it sound scary! haha But yes i'm sure it is much more rewarding. It is more pracitcal based too? The thing i'm looking forward to is the variety and the fact you can choose certain things to home in on...
Which uni are you at?

This I agree with so much! Uni maths is enjoyable, but stay on top of your work from day one! (I ended up cramming for some modules, it was horrible :sad:)
Oh goodness!! This makes it sound scary! haha But yes i'm sure it is much more rewarding. It is more pracitcal based too? The thing i'm looking forward to is the variety and the fact you can choose certain things to home in on...
Which uni are you at?

Haha, don't let it scare you! It's exciting :biggrin: and as I said, you get used to the workload very quickly. I must say I always felt very smug throughout the year when my friends had essays and coursework to do and I didn't as a maths student! :tongue: I found the lecturers were very good at bridging the gap between A level and uni maths. I'm at Sheffield uni. Where have you chosen?
Haha, don't let it scare you! It's exciting :biggrin: and as I said, you get used to the workload very quickly. I must say I always felt very smug throughout the year when my friends had essays and coursework to do and I didn't as a maths student! :tongue: I found the lecturers were very good at bridging the gap between A level and uni maths. I'm at Sheffield uni. Where have you chosen?

Yes it will be very exciting! I can't wait :biggrin:
Haha yes that is one thing i'm looking forward to - since i'm doing english at the moment and sometimes its a bit like: oh not another essay!!
Ooh cool :biggrin: Is it good?
I had a top 3 that I found vv hard to choose between: Lnacaster, Leeds and Sheffield. In the end Sheff was the one that missed out :frown: And I firmed Leeds, insured Lancaster.... :smile:
Yes it will be very exciting! I can't wait :biggrin:
Haha yes that is one thing i'm looking forward to - since i'm doing english at the moment and sometimes its a bit like: oh not another essay!!
Ooh cool :biggrin: Is it good?
I had a top 3 that I found vv hard to choose between: Lnacaster, Leeds and Sheffield. In the end Sheff was the one that missed out :frown: And I firmed Leeds, insured Lancaster.... :smile:

Ah, I know loads of people at Leeds and they all love it, so great choice! :smile: I've visited a few times and really liked it too, I nearly firmed them myself. I also have a friend at Lancaster and she loves it there! So it sounds like you've made some good choices, though I love Sheffield the best obviously :wink: How many exams have you got left? Best of luck with them
Ah, I know loads of people at Leeds and they all love it, so great choice! :smile: I've visited a few times and really liked it too, I nearly firmed them myself. I also have a friend at Lancaster and she loves it there! So it sounds like you've made some good choices, though I love Sheffield the best obviously :wink: How many exams have you got left? Best of luck with them

Aww thats reassuring yeah! haha
I live in York too so not too far away.....
Ermm I have 6 exams left :frown: (but 2 are GS so.... :tongue:)
Original post by cpdavis
This I agree with so much! Uni maths is enjoyable, but stay on top of your work from day one! (I ended up cramming for some modules, it was horrible :sad:)

How did you find your exams? Congrats for getting through your first year!
Original post by shamika
How did you find your exams? Congrats for getting through your first year!

Well I have 8 in total. 2 really good, 4 alright and 2 really bad :rant: But tried to forget about them :sadnod: When do you finish? :h:

EDIT: I do a maths degree and yet I imagined more exams then I did :sigh:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cpdavis
Well I have 8 in total. 2 really good, 6 alright and 2 really bad :rant: But tried to forget about them :sadnod: When do you finish? :h:

Hopefully you'll get the class you want - I've had absolutely awful exams and always got a lot higher than I expected. Remember if you found it hard, chances are the vast majority did too.

I've already graduated (ages ago now :frown: ), stick around as this place is great procrastination when studying for actuarial exams!
Original post by cpdavis
Well I have 8 in total. 2 really good, 6 alright and 2 really bad :rant: But tried to forget about them :sadnod: When do you finish? :h:

2+6+282+6+2 \not= 8.

I hope addition wasn't one of the things tested :tongue:

Latest