The Student Room Group

AS Psychology edexcel unit 1

Any tips? - retaking in May and need to get up to A/B from a D. Also want a copy of the Jan 2012 paper and mark scheme. Can anyone help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by pineappleprincess
Any tips? - retaking in May and need to get up to A/B from a D. Also want a copy of the Jan 2012 paper and mark scheme. Can anyone help?

Hey, make sure you know the aim procedure results and conclusions of all your studies... and all the evaluation points for them

use this to evaluate

Generalisable? Is the sample large and representative of the whole population
Reliable/replicable? Was it a standardised procedure..
Application?
Validity
Ethics

I've attached paper + Mark scheme :smile:
Thanks! That's great xx
Reply 3
Excited for tomorrow guys?
Reply 4
I'm dreading tomorrow. :frown:
Reply 5
guys ready for tomorrow?
what is the social/congnitive/learning practicals for unit 1?
all of the theories/studies(just to make sure i know them all)
Reply 6
Well for my particular Exam,
The practicals
Social - In-Group / Out-Group categorisation - testing Tajfel's Social Identity theory, do people have more positive attitude towards their in-group than their out group? The possible in-groups / out-groups you could have looked at were age, gender, music tastes, upper 6th and lower 6th etc.

Cognitive - Do misleading questions (post-event information) have an effect on the recall of someone?
This will be based on Elizabeth Loftus' research into misleading questions about things that people may have witnessed which could affect recall and lead to inaccurate information coming from the witnesses
For example using the word 'smashing' when two cars collide implies that the cars were going fastly towards eachother when they might not have been.

Theories / Studies (You may have different ones to me, but here;s mine.)

Social
Hofling et Al study(1966) Obedience in Nurses
Sherif et Al study(1961) Robber's Cave Experiment.

Milgrams Agency Theory
Tajfel's Social Identity Theory

Cognitive
Craik and Tulving (1975) Levels of Processing
Godden and Baddeley's (1975) Cue-Dependent Forgetting

Craik and Lockhart (1972) L evels of Processing model of memory
Interference Theory
Reconstructive Memory (Barlett 1932)
and Cue Dependent Forgetting theory.
Reply 7
So how did everyone find it?
Reply 8
Not bad. Liked most of the qs except the LOP qs.
Which experimental design did you ?
How did you find it?
Reply 9
It was a good paper.

For the experimental design it was indepentdent group desgin

Advantages: No order effects & demand charactertices less likely. Also dis: more particiapant needed so less efficient in terms of cost, ethics and conveince and also participant variables may affect results.

The paper was good answered every questions - the multi choice was abit weird examples

The first one about one directional i put more men will walk under ladder than men

Then which is the most reliable out of interview, field, natural and lab - i put lab

What are experiment and paricipant desing usder for - I wrote allocate particiapant to conditions.

Moving on: The Tajfel evaluation was easy I put strict conditions over what pariciapants where told, provides experiment evidience for social identity theory, task it self implied competition introducing money enhanced incentive to compete, sample lacks generalisiability as only bristsch school boys where used and boys are more competitive than girls anyway. Also low eco vaility as in a lab. Also ethics good because informeed constent was gained.

For the advantage and dis of oppurtunity sampling i put:

+ The researcher has more contril over who is picked so sample can be collected more efficiently and quickly whereas with for example random sampling difficult to access whole population and randon can take a long time to get enough volunteers
- Only people from a certain time are picked so not represtative of popultation - lacks generalisibilty etc.

Compare meeus and milgram was easy talked about in terms of aim, sample, setting, procedure, results, ehics. E.g. for aim I put both wanted to see if participants would obey authority figure etc. For sample both used voulnteers so more like to cooperta etc. Settling both lab so low eco and university so demand charactertics. More ..........

Last questions was ok but not much you can write for Multi store model. Drew the model explained it and did some brief evluations could not think of enough so also talked how it has pratical application in terms of EWT.

For the one which asked you to write out a one direction hypthesis I said the one which was semantic (cant remeber the whole thing) would lead to be best recall and deepest information processing than the other two the one that was strucutral and phonetic.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
the invigilator had to take the pen off me because i was writing like a maniac, i forgot sensory memory on my MSM question. but oh well. thought it was good, nothing too hard/complex.

but yes, the multiple choice questions at the start were very peculiar.
Reply 11
what did people put for the multiple choice question with the blank that you had to fill in?
I can't even remember the question it threw me that much! only that two of the answers were 'operationalised' and 'open'. :confused:

But other than that it was a pretty good paper.
Reply 12
what did u put for "how did Milgram defend his actions in his original study?" this question put me off, i ticked "participants didnt see the learner being shocked ....
Reply 13
Original post by Kate789
what did people put for the multiple choice question with the blank that you had to fill in?
I can't even remember the question it threw me that much! only that two of the answers were 'operationalised' and 'open'. :confused:

But other than that it was a pretty good paper.

i put open too, hope its right

Original post by jozef161
what did u put for "how did Milgram defend his actions in his original study?" this question put me off, i ticked "participants didnt see the learner being shocked ....

same was a trick qs
Reply 14

I put that 'he thought people would not obey', as I know Milgram said he did not predict the results he got and therefore did not think people would actually do it? :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Original post by Kate789
I put that 'he thought people would not obey', as I know Milgram said he did not predict the results he got and therefore did not think people would actually do it? :s-smilie:

I put the same as it was in a past paper we did in class that same question.
Reply 16
Original post by Kate789

I thought the same and ticked the same but then i changed my mind. I noticed that the world 'original' (original study) was highlighted. I realized that he was much more likely to think that they would not obey in the variations of his study(teacher and learner in the same room). For this reason, it made more logic to me that the correct answer should be that the teacher did not see the learner being schocked, which is a bit more ethical. However, i may be completely wrong, i probably dramatize a simple one mark question more than i should :P
Reply 17
I thought the same and ticked the same but then i changed my mind. I noticed that the world 'original' (original study) was highlighted. I realized that he was much more likely to think that they would not obey in the variations of his study(teacher and learner in the same room). For this reason, it made more logic to me that the correct answer should be that the teacher did not see the learner being schocked, which is a bit more ethical. However, i may be completely wrong, i probably dramatize a simple one mark question more than i should :P

indeed! so much fuss over a one mark question, but I'd rather that than to be fussing over the correctness of a 4 or 5 mark question.
Reply 18
Original post by Kate789
indeed! so much fuss over a one mark question, but I'd rather that than to be fussing over the correctness of a 4 or 5 mark question.

How did you do mate?

I managed to get a A 67 UMS.
Reply 19
Original post by kingshan16
How did you do mate?

I managed to get a A 67 UMS.

Well done!! That's a great score!
I sat all 4 units and managed to get straight As. Absolute miracle... And this is someone who was on C,C,E - so guys put in the work last minute and it can definitely be done. :smile:
Got 64 UMS in this one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending