The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

It's HALF TERM! :yay::yay::yay:

And I found 5 jobs I genuinely want to apply for, yay! :smile: (I was worrying they'd all dried up!)

Keep going everyone! xxx
Original post by balloon_parade

And I found 5 jobs I genuinely want to apply for, yay! :smile: (I was worrying they'd all dried up!)

Keep going everyone! xxx

Yay!

I did honestly think all along that, in this current funding situation, schools would hold out on listing jobs until only the cheap NQTs could apply so they could save money. People told me this wouldn't usually happen, but lo and behold there are now 3 jobs I genuinely want to apply for too!
Original post by balloon_parade

Keep going everyone! xxx

That's good news. (Especially the half term bit!) This is the wave of jobs that comes from people who get jobs earlier on waiting until 31st May to hand in their notice (quite often to **** off the powers that be in their school/authority.)
How's everyone enjoying the holidays? I'll miss this thread be year... Can we create a 'thought I was stressed and tired but then the NQT year came....' thread?:tongue:
Reply 1304
aegumE=jaime1986;37972707]How's everyone enjoying the holidays? I'll miss this thread be year... Can we create a 'thought I was stressed and tired but then the NQT year came....' thread?:tongue:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=176606

We've already got one!

The holiday's been well-timed. I had gastroenteritis (horrible) from Friday to Wednesday, but I've sorted out lodgings for next year and celebrated my birthday yesterday (suddenly feeling old). I do need to work all weekend, by the looks of it, as I've got a stack of marking and planning to do, plus my final uni assessment on Monday morning!

13 school days left now! I can almost taste summer - although I do have a 2 week induction on July...
I've bought some puppets :biggrin: Yes I'm secondary not primary but whatever! Don't know how I'll be using them but WH Smith were selling off easter puppets for £2 each so I bought a rabbit and a chick. There's got to be some use for them in MFL, and considering I have 3 year 7 groups at the minute I can probably get away with it somehow!

(yeah that's the best news I have from half term... hibernated for quite a lot of it really)
Holidays? What holidays?

Spent a lot of my time marking assessments and writing ruddy reports.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Still not over my cough/sore chest. I am coughing like mad - on the bus today, I think I literally saw people trying to move away lol. :redface: I've had it for over 4 weeks now. Gutted to be going back to school still suffering. :/

Brighter news...
I have three weeks left, plus one more day in university. One more week teaching properly. I love that the time is quickly passing. Although, I still have lots to do before then, including the career entry development portfolio.
Anyway, today, we got the results for our second MA essay [5000 words]. I didn't do very well on the first, getting 58. But, this time I got 73, so I'm much happier. Yay! :biggrin:
Planning for my last week of teaching. Had little taster of how it feels to have a life again this week so more eager than ever to finish this course!
Original post by *Darcie*
Planning for my last week of teaching. Had little taster of how it feels to have a life again this week so more eager than ever to finish this course!

Same here. :frown: Been dreading going back, had such a lovely half term with my family. I'm only just planning the lessons for next week now, boo.

Roll on 2 weeks and I shall be finished! :smile:
Those of you who have to go back - are you starting whole new schemes of work just for a week or two?

I have "finished" teaching now - I have to go back to my placement school but it's for an enrichment week not for teaching, so I'll be in with the SEN department for a day, going to go to a special school for a day, and have to do my primary placement.

Claiming against all of the Q standards is killing me though :frown:
Original post by Suzanathema
Those of you who have to go back - are you starting whole new schemes of work just for a week or two?

I have "finished" teaching now - I have to go back to my placement school but it's for an enrichment week not for teaching, so I'll be in with the SEN department for a day, going to go to a special school for a day, and have to do my primary placement.

Claiming against all of the Q standards is killing me though :frown:

Yep, 1 week of a new unit. Seems pointless! I've also got to have 5 observations because my mentor has been a bit slack. This also seems pointless as it's supposed to show progression, not sure how much I can show in a matter of days. Not looking forward to it!
Reply 1312
Sorry to hijack this thread, I'm not one of you but wondered if any of you could give me some advice please?

I'm planning my wedding for next year, and one of my bridesmaids is starting her PGCE in September. We want our wedding on a Friday as it will save us lots of money compared to a Saturday wedding, and we're giving our guests plenty of notice so most should be able to make it - in fact my OH is adamant that those that matter will make sure they're there after a years notice!

However, my lovely teacher-to-be friend isn't sure if she could be at our wedding on a Friday cos of the PGCE.

Has anyone had similar experiences? When does the course/the teaching end? Our provisional date is Friday 14th June next year if this is any help
Original post by kyanya
Sorry to hijack this thread, I'm not one of you but wondered if any of you could give me some advice please?

I'm planning my wedding for next year, and one of my bridesmaids is starting her PGCE in September. We want our wedding on a Friday as it will save us lots of money compared to a Saturday wedding, and we're giving our guests plenty of notice so most should be able to make it - in fact my OH is adamant that those that matter will make sure they're there after a years notice!

However, my lovely teacher-to-be friend isn't sure if she could be at our wedding on a Friday cos of the PGCE.

Has anyone had similar experiences? When does the course/the teaching end? Our provisional date is Friday 14th June next year if this is any help

If your wedding is June then you can be pretty sure your friend will still be on her course. End of July would be a safer bet, though obviously you have to go with when is right for you. I've had time off this year for surgery and my tutors were ok with me taking the time off. If I were your friend I would email the uni and ask them what their policy is on things like this.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by kyanya

Depends if she is teaching or not! If she is on placement then it might be tricky to get a day off, otherwise a normal uni day, I would just take the day off and email the tutors to explain whilst also explaining how I was going to make the work up. Tutors might be against it but they can only disapprove, I'm sure they'd understand really as long as her attendance is usually spot on.

I'm not sure how you'd go about having a day off school though without lying? I don't think school would approve!
Original post by kyanya

All she can do is ask- some courses are incredibly strict, others might be OK with it. I know someone who had a day off because he'd been best man at a wedding on a weekend and couldn't get back down here in time- slightly different as the wedding itself was on a weekend, but if they were really strict about the Monday he couldn't have gone.

I actually think it may be easier if it's a day of school she's missing, as most courses add on some extra 'compulsory' teaching time in order to cater for interviews etc, but scheduled training sessions can't be missed. At least that seems to be the case on my course (but my course is a SCITT so we spend less time in training, so we only get one chance to address certain topics).
People get time off for interviews, so a wedding shouldn't be a major issue.

Courses usually run from Sept to the end of June. I started my NQT on the first of July. 14th is more likely to be a faculty session than a school day as a lot of trainees leave their schools at May half term or very shortly after.

At that point though she should have passed already and met all her Q-standards!
Rather fearful of having my horrid year 8s tomorrow, we had a little 'incident' before their exams (internal KS3) and the holidays- one of the good ones in the class comes to a club I run, and she and the other 2 girls who had turned up that week were talking about their classes being noisy, so I chipped in with "oh yes, your class are very noisy aren't they? It's hard to teach sometimes", or something along those lines.

Then in a lesson with the y8 class another student piped up, saying "miss, I have it on very good authority that you said we were the worst class you've ever taught", so I pressed her for where I said that. She said it was my club. Yet I'd said nothing of the sort!

Haven't seen them since then, and tomorrow needs to be a lesson where they listen to me for a considerable amount of time yet they have zero respect for me at this point I'm sure. I need to go through the exam with them, and then explain their project for the rest of the term. Which means they only really need to listen to me for this one lesson but don't know how to do that! I'll have a cover supervisor in with me to help- just hope it's the one who usually comes in, as she knows what they can be like, and therefore how useless I am with them! Might have to rope my head of department in for parking- think she'll be more than happy to help!

Lots of this group are coming on the trip with us in a few weeks, and I think it will be nice to see them out of lessons, but it's come to the point where I've had to say to my mentor that I don't want any of them in my 'roll call' group when we're out and about- not because I dislike them, but because I genuinely wonder whether they would actually listen to me!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by noodles!
Rather fearful of having my horrid year 8s tomorrow, we had a little 'incident' before their exams (internal KS3) and the holidays- one of the good ones in the class comes to a club I run, and she and the other 2 girls who had turned up that week were talking about their classes being noisy, so I chipped in with "oh yes, your class are very noisy aren't they? It's hard to teach sometimes", or something along those lines.

Then in a lesson with the y8 class another student piped up, saying "miss, I have it on very good authority that you said we were the worst class you've ever taught", so I pressed her for where I said that. She said it was my club. Yet I'd said nothing of the sort!

Haven't seen them since then, and tomorrow needs to be a lesson where they listen to me for a considerable amount of time yet they have zero respect for me at this point I'm sure. I need to go through the exam with them, and then explain their project for the rest of the term. Which means they only really need to listen to me for this one lesson but don't know how to do that! I'll have a cover supervisor in with me to help- just hope it's the one who usually comes in, as she knows what they can be like, and therefore how useless I am with them! Might have to rope my head of department in for parking- think she'll be more than happy to help!

Lots of this group are coming on the trip with us in a few weeks, and I think it will be nice to see them out of lessons, but it's come to the point where I've had to say to my mentor that I don't want any of them in my 'roll call' group when we're out and about- not because I dislike them, but because I genuinely wonder whether they would actually listen to me!

If it's any comfort, nearly all year 8s are horrid and especially at this time of year. It's their age. They also have short memories, for good or ill. Whatever you do, don't let them see you're ratttled. The ability to laugh things off is one very well worth cultivating, even if it's fake. Good luck.:smile:
Original post by carnationlilyrose
If it's any comfort, nearly all year 8s are horrid and especially at this time of year. It's their age. They also have short memories, for good or ill. Whatever you do, don't let them see you're ratttled. The ability to laugh things off is one very well worth cultivating, even if it's fake. Good luck.:smile:

They were vile, as expected- complaints left, right and centre about their exams, including one of them wondering aloud why a real teacher hadn't marked them :frown: Ah well, found out today about an interview on Wednesday that I need to travel to tomorrow so won't see them til next week!

Quick Reply