The Student Room Group

What A Level subjects are the hardest?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by zaliack
It's just traditional subjects are usually listed as 'hard' without taking into account subjective feelings for the subject. For example, as I'm musically illiterate, taking music would be ten times harder than taking maths or sciences.

Ok, I understand :smile: thanks
Original post by confusedexcited
In ascending order, I'd say

1) Chemistry
2) English Literature
3) Further Maths
4) Physics
5)Maybe History, maybe Biology.

I don't know really after that. It's basically the traditional A-levels. You'll find many people saying 'English is easy', but it is incredibly difficult to get top-marks in English Literature and requires an incredible amount of effort. Chemistry is just evil.

What? I find Psychology twice as hard as History.
If you're asking about the "hardest" A-Levels, it'll be different for each person. I myself did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and General Studies, and found General Studies to be the hardest (and got the lowest mark in it). But that's because I'm more of a "correct/incorrect answer" type of student rather than an "explain/discuss/what is your opinion on..." type.

But if you're asking about "traditional" A-Levels, which are usually considered to be harder, more academically rigorous, more relevant to university studies etc. then I suppose the Trinity List is probably what you're looking for. Of the subjects on that list, I'd hazard a guess that Further Maths might be considered the "hardest" of the science subjects, while English Literature might be its Arts counterpart.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'd go for:

English Literature
Philosophy
History

Further Maths
Chemistry

That would be my top 5 hardest.
Reply 24

Additional further maths has to be the hardest a level for two reasons: 1) To get the a-level in all all boards apart from MEI you have to study 6 A2 units most of which are at the top end of the difficulty spectrum.
2) Everyone who does this qualification is already likely to be extremely competant at maths meaning that the grade boundaries are consequently very high, disproportionate to the difficulty of the exam.
Original post by Miracle Day
What? I find Psychology twice as hard as History.

Okay...what would you like me to say? :tongue: I think psychology would be perceived by universities and most people as an easier A-level than History, though you may find it harder.
Got to put languages on here.
Reply 27
Ok sorry if this sounds stupid but if you took 3 A levels from this list below would you stand a chance of getting into cambridge even if you got As and A*?
LIST C
A-levels Suitable Only As Fourth Subjects

Accounting
Applied Science
Citizenship
Communication Studies
Critical Thinking
Dance
Environmental Science
General Studies
Health & Social Care
Home Economics
ICT
Leisure Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Perspectives on Science
Photography
Physical Education
Science
Science for Public Understanding
Sports Studies
Travel & Tourism
World Development
History is definitely the hardest out of the three I do, which are History, Maths and French. Having said that I think there are elements of difficulty in all three, but History certainly requires a lot of dedication and time.

Time which is being spent on tsr....
Personally I'd say Chemistry, in my AS year I took Double maths, Physics, Economics and Chemistry, I got an A in all of them except Chemistry, where I got a D, needless to say I dropped it. To be fair though our teacher left after about a month and we were left with some replacement guy who didn't have a clue (his only qualification seemed to be a degree in wine studies, whatever that is.)
Original post by Yolofied
Some people will find subjects hard that others will find easy and visa versa... I was wondering if there is an official list of subjects that are considered as hard
If there is please reply :smile:
I don't mind if a made up list is posted as well :biggrin:
I'm just really curious
Thanks!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

**Trinity College, Cambridge, Suitable A-level combinations page**

LIST A1
Generally Suitable Science A-levels

Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics

LIST A2
Generally Suitable Arts A-levels

Art History
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Economics
English Literature
French
Geography
German
Greek
History
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Latin
Music
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Russian
Spanish
Welsh

LIST B
A-levels of More Limited Suitability

Archaeology (Arch & Anth)
Art & Design (Arts)
Business Studies (Economics)
Computing (Computer Science)
Design & Technology (Architecture)
Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
Electronics (Engineering)
English Language (Arts)
Film Studies (Arts)
Government & Politics (Arts)
Law (Land Economy & Law)
Media Studies (Arts)
Psychology (Arts)
Sociology (Arts)

LIST C

Accounting
Applied Science
Citizenship
Communication Studies
Critical Thinking
Dance
Environmental Science
General Studies
Health & Social Care
Home Economics
ICT
Leisure Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Perspectives on Science
Photography
Physical Education
Science
Sports Studies
Travel & Tourism
World Development

Don't take up any controversial inclusions with me, I'm just the messenger :smile:

My personal view:
When we say something is "hard", that's very subjective. Some people are not very good at Maths, for example, and for them Maths is hard, but for Mathmos it's easy. However, many subjects can be revised for, and I'd say with effort and consistent work, you can achieve A grades in most subjects regardless of ability. Maths, for example, can be revised; methods can be memorised etc.

The only subjects for which I would say this does not hold true is languages (particularly German, as that's the only one I do). You can work really hard, you can revise loads, you can memorise vocab, but it takes genuine talent to shine in exams.
(edited 11 years ago)
chemistry or physics

as a bio/chem guy i hated the **** out of physics
Reply 32
Ok sorry if this sounds stupid but if you took 3 A levels from this list below would you stand a chance of getting into cambridge even if you got As and A*?
LIST C

Accounting
Applied Science
Citizenship
Communication Studies
Critical Thinking
Dance
Environmental Science
General Studies
Health & Social Care
Home Economics
ICT
Leisure Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Perspectives on Science
Photography
Physical Education
Science
Sports Studies
Travel & Tourism
World Development

You'd stand 1% chance of getting an interview.
I guess it's pretty subjective as to what constitutes a 'hard' A level, as what an indavidual finds hard is usually dependant on what skills they do/don't have and how much work they put into something. For example, I personally find English Literature quite easy, but there is no way I could attempt doing Maths at A level. In general many people do cite subjects such a maths, the sciences, philosophy, law etc as the hardest subjects in contrast to subjects such as religious studies, sociology and history where some argue that picking up marks is easier, although all of those subjects require a lot of revision and memorising things so as I said, it really does depend on where your skills lie. :smile:
No point in this, it's all subjective
Reply 35
Original post by Obscenedilemma

I just about to write the same thing!!
Reply 36
Original post by Obscenedilemma

Whatever, I was just tryna see if there was actually an official list and see what other ppl think...
Original post by swbp
Agreed. Most would say english literature was harder than geography, yet I have to puts weeks of revision in to my geography exams, whereas i don't with english lit. Each to their own I guess.

Wow, someone else who finds English Lit easier than Geography. I breezed IGCSE Geography but now i find it really hard, yet English really easy. Woooo.
Ancient Greek hands down.
Reply 39
Oooooo what stuff do you have to learn in classics? xD

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

well the one im doing in AS we did the odyysey and tragedy and in A2 art&architecture and the iliad/aeniad

theyre harder than they sound with the art one we had to know about 30 statues, 30 pots, 30 free standing statues and numerous santuries and their associated temples, metopes, treasuries etc. etc. off by heart ... was horrible -_-

Quick Reply

Latest