The Student Room Group

AQA Business Studies BUSS4 2012 - 21 June 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by tdkr
what must i do to get a mid-high B in this exam ?

urmm revise?
Reply 41
Original post by 0range
urmm revise?

more specifically ?
Reply 42
Original post by tdkr
more specifically ?

Have good thorough examples which you can talk about and know all the theory!
Reply 43
No idea how I'm gonna pass this exam.
Reply 44
Section B seems a joke most of the time. Theres usually really random industries in it. How the hell are we to know so much detail about industries such the building industry and bottled water companies? They should make the whole exam research based, so they should give the industries in Section B before hand too or they should just stop the application side of it for Section B and just make it theory.

:/
Reply 45
Original post by Smeemi
Section B seems a joke most of the time. Theres usually really random industries in it. How the hell are we to know so much detail about industries such the building industry and bottled water companies? They should make the whole exam research based, so they should give the industries in Section B before hand too or they should just stop the application side of it for Section B and just make it theory.

:/

That's where they want you to read the news and stuff, but it's still pretty straightforward, just bull**** your way through it :biggrin:
Reply 46
Original post by 0range
That's where they want you to read the news and stuff, but it's still pretty straightforward, just bull**** your way through it :biggrin:

so this topic is mergers and takeovers right, so just research on companies that have done this recently ? but what companies must i know for the section B part of this paper ?
Reply 47
Original post by tdkr
so this topic is mergers and takeovers right, so just research on companies that have done this recently ? but what companies must i know for the section B part of this paper ?

off the top of my head, apple is a pretty good one to know, I'll edit this later with my notes
Original post by 0range
off the top of my head, apple is a pretty good one to know, I'll edit this later with my notes

Yeh Apple is a good one. But it does depend on what topic comes up, you should look to have about 2 businesses for each subject area PESTLC.
Reply 49
Original post by Theturnbull9
Yeh Apple is a good one. But it does depend on what topic comes up, you should look to have about 2 businesses for each subject area PESTLC.

What's PESTLC?

Yh I have like a total of like 5 but I made them in like march time, so forgotten most of them :P
Original post by 0range
What's PESTLC?

Yh I have like a total of like 5 but I made them in like march time, so forgotten most of them :P

Political
Ethical
Social
Technological
Legal & Competitive

They're the main topics that can come up on section B of the paper. Look to have about 2 businesses for each topic area and you should be fine.

:smile:
Reply 51
Political
Ethical
Social
Technological
Legal & Competitive

They're the main topics that can come up on section B of the paper. Look to have about 2 businesses for each topic area and you should be fine.

:smile:

Thank you :smile:
Original post by 0range
Thank you :smile:

No problem mate, good luck with your exams :smile:
Reply 53
No problem mate, good luck with your exams :smile:

You too :smile:
Reply 54
Heyy.. okay so just literally started revision for buss4.. I needed examples of HOSTILE takeovers please
Original post by 11billi11
Heyy.. okay so just literally started revision for buss4.. I needed examples of HOSTILE takeovers please

Cadbury's.. Not many of the Kraft shareholders where happy with the takeover. Cadbury workers also annoyed about the takeover, potential for hostility. :smile:
Cadbury's.. Not many of the Kraft shareholders where happy with the takeover. Cadbury workers also annoyed about the takeover, potential for hostility. :smile:

Also, you can check out Tutor2u and go on the 'buss4' forum, some really good examples on there.
Reply 57
Will do, Thanks to all, for Sec B of the paper, are we meant to have some sort of general sound knowledge of various businesses and in how much depth because there is soo much out there :eek:
Reply 58
Original post by 11billi11

Some good example of hostile takeovers are ones that have been intervened/prevented by the Competition Commission to prevent a market becoming a monopoly.

Like kind of an example for this is that Morrison's took over Safeway in 2004 to prevent them being a target of takeover by Tesco and Asda. But the commission saw this as a move towards a monopoly, so only allowed the deal togo ahead if hey sold some of its 479 stores, which it did, most of which to Waitrose part of the John Lewis Partnership.
Reply 59
Original post by 0range
The only examples I can think of are Kraft/ Cadbury and News corp & BSKYB

Government interventions:-

Lloyds TSB takeover of HBOS - Needed to save bank but if was in normal conditions then would have been referred to CC (Competition Commission)

Morrison's takeover of Safeway - Had to sell some of Safeway stores for the takeover to proceed

Quick Reply

Latest