The Student Room Group

Jo Does The 30 Day Shred

I started the 30 day shred last month, I got to about day 11 before I neglected it for revision and the exam period. During this time I stress ate and did barely any exercise and so have put on weight again. I'm not one of those skinny girls with a warped body image, I am genuinely obese and have a BMI of about 30. I weigh 12 Stone, 9 Pounds (177 pounds). I am also a Size 16/18 UK clothes size. I will add measurements of hips, waist, thighs and arms later on.

The 30 day shred is from Jillian Michaels, from The Biggest Loser USA which I am a fan of. i read the rave reviews on Amazon and found that it really did work for people. The DVD is about 20 minutes, excluding warm ups and cool downs so I really have no excuse not to fit it into my day anymore. The 30 day shred consists of 3 levels. each level has 3 circuits. Each circuit has 3 minutes of strength exercises, 2 minutes of Cardio and 1 minute of Ab work.

In terms of dieting I struggle as I don't like many foods (fussy eater). i dont like salad, fish, most meats eggs etc. But I love chicken and I have that a lot, tonight I am making Chilli breadcrumbs to put on chicken breast. So I wont be dieting strictly, but will be stopping takeaways and swapping unhealthy snacks for fruits or drinks.

I will be doing Day 1 of the 30 Day Shred later, using 1.5kg weights, and i will post later telling you how I found it and including my measurements. i will be taking measurements and weighing myself every 10 days to see any progress after each level.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just finished Day 2! Easier than day one as my body is now getting used to it again. Love this DVD because I can do it, have a shower, blow dry and straighten my hair within an hour and then go out, its brilliant! Still doing knee push ups but I can do about 10 now which is a fast improvement from the first time I did the 30 day shred last month as I did about 3 and then felt like my arms were going to fall off. Im still taking breaks between circuits but the breaks are getting shorter.

As regards to food, i was bad yesterday! i had a nice dinner of actifry chips, and slimming work homemade kfc chicken so that was good. But then i ruined it all by having a chocolate flapjack bar and raspberry ripple ice cream! Bad me:frown:

Today I had Toast for breakfast, cheese and brocoli pasta for dinner and tea is yet to come so who knows!

I will be doing my next weigh in in 8 days to see if 10 days of level one actually has an effect! It did last time as I had lost 5 pound after 5 days so fingercrossed!
+1

Have you seen videos, testimonials of the end result if you complete it? The hardest part for me is the food :frown: !

Good Luck.
Reply 3
I watched a few youtube videos of people who had completed it and there were definitely noticeable results and they had gotten stronger as well as slimmer. Mostly I read Amazon reviews where the vast majority had given the DVD 5/5 stars and said it really worked for them so I'm hoping it works for me too!
Reply 4
Hi, i just wanted to ask, everything that you have to do, is it all at home or are there parts which you have to do outside like running/jogging and is there any equipment that you need for this. Thanks in advance
Reply 5
Original post by Rizzy J
Hi, i just wanted to ask, everything that you have to do, is it all at home or are there parts which you have to do outside like running/jogging and is there any equipment that you need for this. Thanks in advance

Its a £5 DVD from amazon and all you need are some hand weights. I use 1.5kg ones and they are fine for me. You can do it all in your living room in half an hour.
Although if you dont have a soft carpet i would recommend a mat to use.
Reply 6
Original post by breakeven
Its a £5 DVD from amazon and all you need are some hand weights. I use 1.5kg ones and they are fine for me. You can do it all in your living room in half an hour.
Although if you dont have a soft carpet i would recommend a mat to use.

Oh great!! thanks. i don't want a dvd that involves running/jogging as i'd have to do that outside, don't want everyone seeing me :colondollar:
Reply 7
I wish you the best of luck for this :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Rizzy J
Oh great!! thanks. i don't want a dvd that involves running/jogging as i'd have to do that outside, don't want everyone seeing me :colondollar:

Join the club! The only time I'd ever consider it is at like 5am when no one will be outside:colondollar:

It's why I love this DVD its quick and I don't have to go outside for it.
Reply 9
Original post by cpdavis
I wish you the best of luck for this :biggrin:

Thank you very much! Im hoping the support and advice I get on TSR will spur me on and motivate me to do better! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by breakeven
Join the club! The only time I'd ever consider it is at like 5am when no one will be outside:colondollar:

It's why I love this DVD its quick and I don't have to go outside for it.

I'll buy this after my exams in 3 weeks time, so will ask you before that how you're getting on. Wish you the best !!
I've known lots of people who say that the 30 day shred is an absolute killer! You're brave tackling it, I daren't try it myself.
Reply 12
Original post by Rizzy J
I'll buy this after my exams in 3 weeks time, so will ask you before that how you're getting on. Wish you the best !!

I hope I'll have good news when you check back, good luck with your exams, i hope you do great!
Best of luck :top2:
Reply 14
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Best of luck :top2:

Thanks so much for the support, it really does make a difference motivation-wise! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I've known lots of people who say that the 30 day shred is an absolute killer! You're brave tackling it, I daren't try it myself.

First few days, especially if you're unfit, you ache like crazy. the first time I did it, I couldn't stand up or sit down withouth going 'ow ow ow ow ow' haha!

It gets easier though. But then again I haven't done Level 2 yet, who knows what horrors await me!
Reply 16
Okay, Day 3 done and dusted but I made the genius mistake of doing it just 1 and a half hours after a carvery, now I feel ill! But at least I'm still one more day closer to the end.

Managed to do more of the exercises today without stopping so I know im getting a little bit fitter. So hard to resist getting the scales out! Won't be weighing myself until next monday so hope level 1 does me some good. I want to be a size 12/14 again!

Okay, didn't get up until 11 (whoopsie) so had a bowl of co co pops for brunch and a carvery for dinner. Snacks - Starburst + Jaffa Cakes (again! they are my kryptonite)
Reply 17
Day 4 is complete! Absolutely shattered today though, feel like I need a little power nap now!
What's the plan for after the 30 day shred?
Reply 19
Original post by HFerguson
What's the plan for after the 30 day shred?

Excellent question! I was thinking to invest in some of Jillian Michaels other DVDs as they are also highly rated on Amazon and to alternate between her DVD's. Oh, and mainly to just keep eating better and exercising more :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest