The Student Room Group

I don't understand my offer.......

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your help.
Basically my offer is -

This offer is subject to you obtaining

A minimum of 200 UCAS points from at least 2 A Levels

including subjects from the physical, mathematical or

biological sciences. Achieve A level Chemistry at grade C or

above.

What I don't understand is if I get c in chemistry (80 points), d in biology (60 points), B in as Ict (50 points) and e in as maths (20 points).
Overall I will have 210 ucas points. Will I get accepted onto my course.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I would say yes, but always contact the university if in doubt.
Reply 2
Original post by TheSownRose
I would say yes, but always contact the university if in doubt.

thanks- I sent them an email just now but I'll just wait until they reply.
Reply 3
Original post by mariah11mariah
Basically my offer is -

above.

What I don't understand is if I get c in chemistry (80 points), d in biology (60 points), B in as chemistry (50 points) and e in as maths (20 points).

That certainly sounds like an awfully low and easy offer. From which Uni is this? If you have definitely read this correctly, I would suggest contacting the Uni to verify this information.

Typically, unis which use UCAS points, offer 270-340
thanks- I sent them an email just now but I'll just wait until they reply.

It's always the best idea to clarify with the university, because on second thoughts I might say no because it's not clear if they'll accept your AS points or not.
Basically my offer is -

above.

What I don't understand is if I get c in chemistry (80 points), d in biology (60 points), B in as chemistry (50 points) and e in as maths (20 points).

AS and A level chemistry don't add together, the A level replaces the AS UCAS points.
Original post by big-bang-theory
AS and A level chemistry don't add together, the A level replaces the AS UCAS points.

I'm sicker than I realised, totally read that as AS physics. :s-smilie:

With that pointed out, I'd definitely say no, you haven't met the offer; the 'will they, won't they' on the AS also is a point you need to consider.

Doesn't mean they won't accept you, though.
Reply 7
Original post by big-bang-theory

sorry meant as ict
Reply 8
Original post by Mr Tough
That certainly sounds like an awfully low and easy offer. From which Uni is this? If you have definitely read this correctly, I would suggest contacting the Uni to verify this information.

Typically, unis which use UCAS points, offer 270-340

Don't judge me!! You don't know how much I've struggled with alevels due to mitigating circumstances. The course is pharmaceutical sciences at an ex polytechic
Reply 9
It's always the best idea to clarify with the university, because on second thoughts I might say no because it's not clear if they'll accept your AS points or not.

but they say 200 points from 2 alevels or equivalent
but they say 200 points from 2 alevels or equivalent

An AS isn't an A-level equivalent. However, they may well accept it - it's just not entirely clear from their offer.

Are they aware of your mitigating circumstances?
Reply 11
yeah. i'd say email the uni coz u can't assume when it comes down to something as important as your offer.
if they don't reply soon, i'd ring.
hope i am of some help.
Reply 12
Don't judge me!! You don't know how much I've struggled with alevels due to mitigating circumstances. The course is pharmaceutical sciences at an ex polytechic

I don't think he was judging you..... you were asking about UCAS points and he was trying to give information
An AS isn't an A-level equivalent. However, they may well accept it - it's just not entirely clear from their offer.

Are they aware of your mitigating circumstances?

Yeah they are aware. The offer seemed abit confusing to me aswell. Thanks for your help and not for judging me.

What a snappy response to someone who was offering you help, in regards to your question. The university that gave you the offer are the only people who can help you, our comments are merely opinions.
Original post by pinda.college
What a snappy response to someone who was offering you help, in regards to your question. The university that gave you the offer are the only people who can help you, our comments are merely opinions.

To be honest the person that gave the response seemed rather stuck up. UCAS points are not exclusive to unis asking for up to 340 points. how do people manage to get into foundation degrees etc. The offer may be awfully low to the person who posted that comment but for me it is realistic. Some people are not as intelligent as others.
To be honest the person that gave the response seemed rather stuck up. UCAS points are not exclusive to unis asking for up to 340 points. how do people manage to get into foundation degrees etc. The offer may be awfully low to the person who posted that comment but for me it is realistic. Some people are not as intelligent as others.

I agee with you 110% and looking back at it, the person's comments may have come across as being a little immature. However, s/he might have just wanted to get a reaction from you, which they have successfully done. You have a good attitude in terms of 'realistic goals', I hope you meet the requirements of your offer:smile:
Original post by pinda.college
I agee with you 110% and looking back at it, the person's comments may have come across as being a little immature. However, s/he might have just wanted to get a reaction from you, which they have successfully done. You have a good attitude in terms of 'realistic goals', I hope you meet the requirements of your offer:smile:

:wink:
you wouldn't quite meet the criteria as only one of the marks was grade c or above but they may be lenient.
Original post by Gwilym101
you wouldn't quite meet the criteria as only one of the marks was grade c or above but they may be lenient.

As long as that one is chemistry, it's irrelevant how many are C or above.