The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Well we watched Prometheus but I'm not sure what to think. It's an absolutely gorgeous film visually and it's the best use of 3D since Avatar. Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace were absolutely phenomenal in their roles whilst the rest of the cast was forgettable. The dialogue was a bit underwhelming. The shocks were poorly done. I was sitting thinking how I could have made particular scenes came across better - but then I suppose it's more science fiction than horror like Alien was. A lot of the stuff in the film was left unexplained, deliberately I would assume for the purposes of a sequel, but it felt like the film raised more questions than it provided answers. And there was a lot of stuff that happened quite randomly - like there were multiple strands of various plots coming together but then going nowhere and clumsily falling apart.

One of my friends who has watched all of the Alien films gave it a higher rating than me so maybe being a fan of the franchise elevates your appreciation of it. It's definitely something that leaves food for thought.

Original post by aja89
Ape Gone Insane banned? Say whaaat? :lolwut:

Just a temporary ban by request. I swear I wasn't a naughty person. :ashamed2:
Reply 6541
I was convinced that Prometheus would be amazing, personally and critically, but it seems to be getting mixed reviews. Going to see it this Wednesday hopefully.
Reply 6542
Original post by Glenbot3000
I think that's what annoys me about Fight Club - it's too impersonal, almost as if what could've been a brilliant story takes a back seat to all the psychobabble and violence.

Too impersonal? A film that largely takes place from the perspective of one man, inside and outside of his head, is impersonal? :K:

I don't see Fight Club as a film that has much 'psycho babble'. There's a few points about being part of the Ikea generation and such, but I'd hardly call a critique of materialism particularly pseudo psychological.

As for the story taking a back seat to the violence... wha? The entire film is driven by it, the changes it causes, what it morphs into etc. It's an absolutely integral part of the film's story; the main focus.
Having just watched all of the Matrix films, I think it's safe to say that I would be happy never to see a green filter again.
Anyone seen Dog Day Afternoon?
Original post by Kenan and Kel

Yep, very good film.
Reply 6546

:yep: Fantastic stuff. Cazale's performance in that is one of my all-time favourites.
Reply 6547
I'm so excited for Prometheus. Listened to Ridley Scott's interview on Kermode & Mayo and he said that the film is, in effect, the Phantom Menace in the sense that it's set about two films before Alien. He's intending to make the other two depending on the success of Prometheus. :sogood:
Anyone who compares their own creation to the Phantom Menace is treading a very precarious tightrope.
Reply 6549
Original post by Phalanges
Anyone who compares their own creation to the Phantom Menace is treading a very precarious tightrope.

Haha, he just said there is the equivalent of two films between Prometheus and Alien, I added Phantom Menace. :colondollar:
That's actually not a bad analogy. It's like Phantom Menace in a few ways.
Original post by noggins
Yep, very good film.

Original post by Abiraleft
:yep: Fantastic stuff. Cazale's performance in that is one of my all-time favourites.

Can't believe I only just watched it yesterday. Top top film. Cazale sold his character so well.
Can't believe I only just watched it yesterday. Top top film. Cazale sold his character so well.

Better late than never. It could be worse. You may have never seen Total Recall before, like a certain someone on this thread.
Reply 6553
Original post by noggins
Better late than never. It could be worse. You may have never seen Total Recall before, like a certain someone on this thread.

:creep:
Reply 6554
[video="youtube;n5rh7O4IDc0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5rh7O4IDc0[/video]

Looks way more cheerful than the book.
Original post by Pi!

Looks way more cheerful than the book.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too...Also Emma Watson with an american accent...:s-smilie: But at the same time :colone:
Original post by Phalanges
Having just watched all of the Matrix films, I think it's safe to say that I would be happy never to see a green filter again.

Then I'd stay far clear of Krótki film o zabijaniu. Great film, though let the natural spectrum of colours return to your eyes before renting it. :wink:
Reply 6557
I absolutely LOVED Prometheus.
Can't believe how utterly **** Prometheus was. I'm just not bothering with the cinema anymore.

"Maybe it's because I'm a human and you're a robot." *GAG* Asimov would be proud....

Terrible dialogue throughout with the exception of David who still couldn't save this piece of **** film. Why the hell was that irritating religious zealot the protagonist? I was hoping she would be killed off immediately. Given that a lot of the questions were still unanswered I'm expecting 'webisodes' to come out of this but I've lost absolutely all interest in the franchise.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6559
Original post by sheep_go_baa
Yeah that's what I was thinking too...Also Emma Watson with an american accent...:s-smilie: But at the same time :colone:

I probably will go and see it because of Ezra Miller, who was really good in We Need To Talk About Kevin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending