The Student Room Group
University logo
Abertay University

Who's going to Abertay?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by panda s
Make sure you submit the picture or they are going to take an awful webcam photo of you during registration and that one will stay on your card until the end of studies - I've made this mistake last year.

Yeah - I got snapped during my interview - Ok now Smi *CLICK* le

Original post by isengard1
I sent my photo via post with the form attached with the orientation pack. Is there a way to check they have received it?

You can always email them and ask - doubt they're overly busy at the moment anyway until Scottish exam results come out.
University logo
Abertay University
Reply 261
Original post by Brizee
doubt they're overly busy at the moment anyway until Scottish exam results come out.

Out of curiosity, when is that?
I'm pretty sure that it's the 7th of August we all get our exam results in Scotland :smile:
I think they come out a couple of days earlier if you signed up for the email or text results. Assuming they still do that anyway I know they did it fo rmy brother.
Reply 264
You guys will know better than me :P 3 years since I last had to bother with the SQA and waiting all summer for results but early August sounds about right and I got the results a day early via text/email.
I wont been 6 years since I had anything to do with them lol but yeah barring any delays its alwasy been early august
Original post by levela13
Thanks a lot, Mike, Brizee! You really helped a lot! :> Another question would be about local jobs. As you may have noticed, I'm from Hungary, and I'm sure that I'll need to get a job to be able to pay my living costs, etc. This is not a problem at all, I'm just wondering how hard is it to get one, and where I could start.

Thanks again, guys! :]

You're coming to do GDPM with a TEEMO icon! Think I might like you hahaha. I've not gotten a job in Dundee yet (mostly because I got help with money last year) but I need to get one this year. My friends found jobs fairly easy, and I did get an interview at three of the McDonalds there, however they were all close together and I couldn't go due to problems at home lol. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a job! Look forward to meeting all you guys next year!

Original post by miciasger
Haha, hey Robert, how did you get on with the coursework?

Well I need to wait if I can get mitigating circumstances for programming, but other than that I got a B for Games Industry and a C for QA which i'm buzzing about cos I was two weeks over the deadline lol :P hbu?!
Original post by Brizee
Nah, they don't check everyone in and technically you can bring a picture with you in September however you won't get it for probably up to a month after starting. An Abertay Student Card carries the PASS Hologram making it a legal form of ID for purchasing Alcohol, however this means they can't just print them on campus.

Also Abertay Union is a Private Members Club restricted to Abertay Students - so without a valid student ID you won't be able to get in there in the Evenings - incl. the latter half of Freshers Week.

You can take any other form of ID and proof that you're a student at Abertay, for example the letter of acceptance. I did this last year and it worked for me fine. You can also get a print out of your card which is still accepted with anything to do with the uni, of course you can't use your temporary student ID to get into places like Fat Sams and Underground lol.
Reply 268
Original post by ThatEmoKid
You can take any other form of ID and proof that you're a student at Abertay, for example the letter of acceptance. I did this last year and it worked for me fine. You can also get a print out of your card which is still accepted with anything to do with the uni, of course you can't use your temporary student ID to get into places like Fat Sams and Underground lol.

You'd be surprised how easy they go missing though :P but yeah a temp student ID is still a valid student ID.
Reply 269
Hey, I'll be doing the MProf in Games Development in September, can't wait to start! Anyone else on the course or staying at the Old Mill?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by levela13
o, hello! :smile:

I just firmed my GDPM, and just can't wait to get started! :biggrin: Yet, I'd have some questions about the course and accomodation.

Actually I don't really have the slightest idea which residence I should choose..:confused:

I've read the whole topic, some say that Alloway is the best for freshers (I'm 19), some say that Opal is the best, etc.. I actually don't really mind the distance between the school and Alloway, because currently I have to travel 'bout an hour every morning to get to school, so I got used to it. I'd appreciate any infos/thought about accomodation! :smile:

About the course: is it math heavy? Math is my weak point, so I'm afraid of it. I know the basics of programming (c# mainly), and haven't got problems with it at all.

Thanks! :smile:

Not sure if your questions have been answered, so I'll answer them for you again just in case :smile:
Alloway is probably the best in terms of price. At the end of the day, the only difference from every accommodation is the distance from the university, which type of bed you get and if you have a bathroom attached to your room. Alloway can range from £280-£335 a month, whereas my friend in Opal paid around £400.
The course lacks mathematics (at least above standard grade level), so you will be fine. You do C++ in your first year, so knowing the basics of C# is very helpful also.
If you're incredibly lazy like me, you'll struggle, but Mike put a lot of effort into it and got it out of the way and I'm pretty sure he breezed through his first year.
Reply 271
Just a quick question about how the module system works at Abertay, if anyone knows how that works. I have a friend at Stirling Uni, who was able to take on an extra module in his first year which broadened his possibilities to change his degree in second year. Is this possible at Abertay as well, or are you stuck to only whatever modules your course offers?
Reply 272
Original post by Gaffel
Just a quick question about how the module system works at Abertay, if anyone knows how that works. I have a friend at Stirling Uni, who was able to take on an extra module in his first year which broadened his possibilities to change his degree in second year. Is this possible at Abertay as well, or are you stuck to only whatever modules your course offers?

I would also like to know the answer to this. I would love to take an extra module if possible.
Reply 273
I just got my final exam results and really failed them :frown:. The Uni asked for 11 points in Biology in my German Abitur and I got only 5 :eek: but I had 10 in the last term. I have some kind of exam anxiety. I went bad in all of my exams. Should I call them and explain the situation to them or will it be rubbish? I'll go to a extra oral exam in Biology. Might that be enough for them? Further they asked for an overall grade of 3.0 and I'll get 2.7 (or 2.6 after a good oral exam). (BTW 1.0 ist the best grade)

HELP!!!!!
Original post by German_Saskia
I just got my final exam results and really failed them :frown:. The Uni asked for 11 points in Biology in my German Abitur and I got only 5 :eek: but I had 10 in the last term. I have some kind of exam anxiety. I went bad in all of my exams. Should I call them and explain the situation to them or will it be rubbish? I'll go to a extra oral exam in Biology. Might that be enough for them? Further they asked for an overall grade of 3.0 and I'll get 2.7 (or 2.6 after a good oral exam). (BTW 1.0 ist the best grade)

HELP!!!!!

Abertay isn't really strict when it comes to exam results. Priority is given to the people with unconditionals & conditionals, if your course has spaces left, they will more than likely accept you if you weren't far off the required grades. My friend needed a BBC at Scottish Highers, she got a BCD and was allowed entry :smile: Sorry if this didn't help, but i'm not really sure how big the difference between 3.0 and 2.7 is because I didn't have those types of grades, mines was letters xD
Reply 275
Original post by ThatEmoKid
Abertay isn't really strict when it comes to exam results. Priority is given to the people with unconditionals & conditionals, if your course has spaces left, they will more than likely accept you if you weren't far off the required grades. My friend needed a BBC at Scottish Highers, she got a BCD and was allowed entry :smile: Sorry if this didn't help, but i'm not really sure how big the difference between 3.0 and 2.7 is because I didn't have those types of grades, mines was letters xD

Hey thanks. 2.7 is better than 3.0 but I'm really worried about the 11 points they asked for in their offer because i only got 5 in the final exam. I hope they will still take me in. I applied for Forensic Science.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 276
Original post by Gaffel

I have the same plan. I have sent them an email but it got ignored so we will see.

Let us know if u get an answer.
Reply 277
Original post by THESHade
I have the same plan. I have sent them an email but it got ignored so we will see.

Let us know if u get an answer.

I will send them an email today and see if they ignore me as well or whether it's just you :tongue:
Reply 278
Well I just got an email back saying that Abertay only allows you to take the modules your course offers, so no extra ones outside the regular structure..
Reply 279
Original post by Gaffel
Well I just got an email back saying that Abertay only allows you to take the modules your course offers, so no extra ones outside the regular structure..

That is sad... However, I was also told by HR that you can do it when your schedule allows it. Maybe u can ask them if you are allowed to go to lectures, workshops etc. and u just won`t get accredited or if you can`t attend at all
cheers

Quick Reply

Latest