The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey all,
I am interested in doing an epq project either about something medical, ethical or psychological related and was wondering if someone could help get me going with ideas with what to do :smile:
reps for good advice :P
Reply 2801
Anyone got an ideas on what EPQ I could do for computer science, I was thinking about how social networking has affected the world?
How about 'Euthanasia: The perspective of Medical Professionals'?

Covers all of those topics and is quite unique, will be tough though.
Hi guys am starting the EPQ soon after the upcoming holidays. I was wondering if anyone else is. My main interests are History, Politics, literature and Philosophy. I'm excited about starting the EPQ and could do with something extra to put on my application to be ohnest :biggrin:
Original post by Helloworld_95
How about 'Euthanasia: The perspective of Medical Professionals'?

Covers all of those topics and is quite unique, will be tough though.

I've decided a topic :smile: I just dont know how or where to start? :/ any tips?
Original post by AishaTara
hey, how much work is the epq? I'm not sure if I should take it :s-smilie:

Quite simply, it is a lot of work. But trust me, if you really are passionate about the topic you pick, then it will fly by.
I always hear of how people moan about EPQ and they don't even care about what they did the project on-yet I was really passionate about BOTH of my EPQ's, and thus it was a lot of work-but I enjoyed it and I managed to do everything on time. Evaluate if you want to spend extra time outside of college exploring a subject, and if so, then doing it will be a reward.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by FallenMan
Quite simply, it is a lot of work. But trust me, if you really are passionate about the topic you pick, then it will fly by.
I always hear of how people moan about EPQ and they don't even care about what they did the project on-yet I was really passionate about BOTH of my EPQ's, and thus it was a lot of work-but I enjoyed it and I managed to do everything on time. Evaluate if you want to spend extra time outside of college exploring a subject, and if so, then doing it will be a reward.

Good luck :smile:

you did two? ahh wow well done! what were they on?
thanks for the advice
Original post by AishaTara
you did two? ahh wow well done! what were they on?
thanks for the advice

Yup, one in each year of college.

My first one was on how the horror movie genre has evolved, and the second one I made a short film and looked at how tutting it on YouTube and social networking sites is how small films get audiences (a focus in my presentation). Because I love films, the EPQ was a lot easier to do, but ours was due in near January exams..so people weren't as focused on it
Reply 2808
I am doing an EPQ on the ethics of stem cell research and I really need good sources to research because the one's I found kept repeating the same points over and over again in different words so now I am struggling to write a 5000 word dessertation.
I am enjoying doing my project but its just that I am not finding enough information to write 5000 word on it so please help me if you can.
Reply 2809
is there anyone who would be willing to post their EPQ, as I have no idea of the standard which is expected. Unfortunately we have been given minimal information at school and I would really appreciate viewing just how much is involved in the extended project.
At our college everyone has to do an EPQ. The first day back after half term we have a tutor meeting about EPQ topics and how to start. I have no idea what i want to do. How are you meant to write 5000 words on one narrow question?!
Original post by Mojojojo
At our college everyone has to do an EPQ. The first day back after half term we have a tutor meeting about EPQ topics and how to start. I have no idea what i want to do. How are you meant to write 5000 words on one narrow question?!

It maybe a narrow question but the idea is that you research around the topic and then bring your ideas together. At least, that is my interpretation and my strategy.
Starting mine now I have finished all my AS exams, doing it on The Leveson Inquiry, specifically about whether we should have a self regulating press or not.. Looking forward to it!
Hello

I want to complete my EPQ this summer or at least until Sep/Oct and am in the process of choosing a topic. I am planning to read Law at university and was thinking of a question that links morality with law, societies and how the law is representative of the people that made it and reflects their attitudes. I was also thinking of writing about how law changed through the years and the role it plays in a society....

Any ideas? Unfortunately that is all that I can think of at the moment :confused:
I'm starting my EPQ now, though the summer holidays unofficially since exams are all done and because of this I'm confused about the parts of the EPQ that require a supervisor/validator. I'm trying to finish the majority of the work on the EPQ over the next 3 months before we get back for A2, in order to avoid being distracted during term. How would I get the discussions/reviews of the various stages done (and, more importantly, on the log) if I'm doing it in the holidays when college isn't even open? Thanks in advance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2815
so im doing the EPQ on medical treatments vs talking treatments and i would like some advice on where i can get my research from and how i can get hold of them, please can anyone give me some ideas urgently, it will be much aprreciated, thnks
Original post by S_123
Do you know what he/she has given you? Could you negotiate it?

How exactly does the supervisor's marking influence the exam board's? :smile: I hadn't read of this before...
Reply 2817
Hi :smile:
Im starting the extended project this summer and was really struggling to decide what to do...
I currently study biology,chemistry,maths and physics but will be dropping physics next year!!!
I would like to study pharmacy at uni so would like to do something involving it.
I was looking into autoimmune diseases and alzeimer's but can't think of anything more specific..
Any idea's would really be appreciated :biggrin:
Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 2818
I want to do law at Uni but I have a high interest in Greek Mythology and other mythologies. Would any of these be good for an EPQ?

Influence of Ancient Greek Religion on the Laws of Ancient Greek society.

Significance of Ancient Mythology on modern day law.

Please suggest any that may be better for more meaty.
Original post by Dust.
I want to do law at Uni but I have a high interest in Greek Mythology and other mythologies. Would any of these be good for an EPQ?

Influence of Ancient Greek Religion on the Laws of Ancient Greek society.

Significance of Ancient Mythology on modern day law.

Please suggest any that may be better for more meaty.

I would say that is quite an in-depth and complex subject to look at so any long piece of writing on it would be quite well taken by a university. Assuming you have the predicted grades (I really don't know anything about the law route but guessing its the same) for your course go for it! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest