The Student Room Group

Benzoic acid from benzyl alcohol?

What is the equation for the oxidation of benzyl alcohol to form benzoic acid? My teacher has given an incomplete equation on the answer sheet :s-smilie:

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Nerdatious
What is the equation for the oxidation of benzyl alcohol to form benzoic acid? My teacher has given an incomplete equation on the answer sheet :s-smilie:

Thanks

Does your exam board wants an answer in terms of [O], which represents oxidation in an equation OR do you need to write permanganate ions?
Reply 2
Original post by Zishi
Does your exam board wants an answer in terms of [O], which represents oxidation in an equation OR do you need to write permanganate ions?

In terms of [O] please! :smile:
Reply 3
In terms of [O] please! :smile:

Alright, C6H5CH2OH + 2[O] C6H5COOH + H2O
Reply 4
Original post by Zishi
Alright, C6H5CH2OH + 2[O] C6H5COOH + H2O

Thank you! I thought it had 2[O] as is the case with oxidising aliphatic alcohols but my teacher had just put the one so I thought that they had made a mistake!

I've run out of rep for today but I'll rep you tomorrow! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Thank you! I thought it had 2[O] as is the case with oxidising aliphatic alcohols but my teacher had just put the one so I thought that they had made a mistake!

I've run out of rep for today but I'll rep you tomorrow! :biggrin:

The first equivalent of oxidising agent turns it into benzaldehyde, which then forms the hydrate in the presence of water, which is then oxidised to the acid.
we can understand that benzyl alcohol will be a primary alcohol so therefore you will use reflux and H2SO4 to form an carboylic acid.
Original post by kurdishboy94
we can understand that benzyl alcohol will be a primary alcohol so therefore you will use reflux and H2SO4 to form an carboylic acid.

:yes:

Primary alcohol ----> Carboxylic acid: K2Cr2O7 + dilute H2SO4 + reflux :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest