The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geography Unit 4 (Pre-release: Pollution and Human health risk))

I was just starting a thread for this pre-release so people can discuss opinions and help people out.

So feel free to share information, advice, case studies, structure etc :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey,

I am sitting this exam in a few weeks. I am really happy with this pre-release as my best notes are on the first enquiry question which the steer seems to focus on :smile:

Obviously I am working on definitions/measurements of quality of life as it seems to have equal weighting as health risks!

I have some case studies relating to health risks, mainly from the WHO website; if anyone want them shout at me :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Sansfield
Hey,

I am sitting this exam in a few weeks. I am really happy with this pre-release as my best notes are on the first enquiry question which the steer seems to focus on :smile:

Obviously I am working on definitions/measurements of quality of life as it seems to have equal weighting as health risks!

I have some case studies relating to health risks, mainly from the WHO website; if anyone want them shout at me :smile:

I thought the pre-release wasn't too bad until my teacher said we had done nothing on it! :frown: i need 57/70 overall to get an A which i can get if i just get the right case studies but my teacher is really confusing me :frown:
Reply 3
Hey,

hi, are you doing pollution and human health topic ? if so i would really be grateful if you could forward me the case studies your on about!! :smile: I would offer you something back but yh... got nothing ha
Reply 4
I really need help on pollution and human health too!

I need a B and am really struggling as to what case studies to use, can anyone help me!?!?!?
Reply 5
Hey,

Hey, would I be able to have the case studies too? I have information on unit 3 if you want to trade :smile:
Reply 6
For incidental pollution you can look at classic studies of chernobyl and bhopal for sustained anything to do with air or water pollution in cities would work
Reply 7
Original post by Dazzyboii
Hey, would I be able to have the case studies too? I have information on unit 3 if you want to trade :smile:

I need them!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!
Reply 8
What definitions have people got for quality of life?
Reply 9
Quality of life is quite difficult to define. I've had a look on loads of different websites and they all say different things, but from wikipedia I got-
Quality of Life- the term used to evaluate the general wellbeing of individuals and societies, it can be used in a wide range of concepts including healthcare, politics and international development.

What did you get?
Reply 10
Does anyone have any practice questions? I'm struggling to find/think of any.

Thanks!
Reply 11
Original post by Feefs
Does anyone have any practice questions? I'm struggling to find/think of any.

Thanks!

I didn't but i'm finding this whole thing really hard !? my introduction seems to go on FOREVER in it i have
Defining health risk (by the health risk equation), Defining quality of life (by saying it refers to health in the way that effects the physical, psychological and social domains, influenced by believes, expectations and perceptions - Scotland.gov.uk)
The i outline the DTM putting my case studies on, and do the epidemiological model (do i need to do Kuznets curve as well?
Then my methodology paragraph
THEN my case studies, which are

Varanasi and the Ganges river

Abestos in wittenoom, australia

Obesity in the UK

HIV in Africa

and an undecided global problem..

all with sub conclusions and a conclusion... i find it hard to link back to quality of life, like, they're all basically the same... :confused:
Reply 12
You know it's suppose to be in a report style not like essay endless writing prose. To explain a new topic you just need to put a new subheading and continue that after each section write a short sub conclusion

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13
So for the definitions you can just write them out how you would see them in a dictionary layout and put the source in brackets next to it and move on

Reply 14
When going onto a new topic yes subheading are required if you want to get good QWC which is out of 10.

e.g. 1.0 Introduction
2.0 Methadology
2.1 Source Table
3.0 Analysis
3.1 LEDC
3.1.1 (Case study name)
3.1.2 (Next Case study) etc. for whatever structure you choose.
4.0 Conclusion

When sourcing my teacher says after your first figure in every analysis section put source in brackets.

Im guessing everyone is using Omrams model for this :smile: and Here is a list of the case studies that i have but am only going to use 7 out of the 12 in exam.

- Malaria, Burkina faso (LEDC, infectious, stage 1)
- HIV, Sub-Saharan Africa (LEDC, infectious, stage 1/2)
- Dengue Fever, Dandora (LEDC, infectious, Stage 1/2)
- Diarrhoea diseases, Kenya (LEDC, infectious/chronic, stage 1/2)
- Chronic Bronchitis, Linfen (NIC, chronic, stage 3)
- Cancer, Harbin (NIC, chronic, stage 3)
- Lung cancer, South korea (NIC, chronic/lifestyle, stage 3/4)
- Obesity, China (NIC, lifestyle, stage 3/4)
- Sickle cell disease, Chhattisgarah (NIC, genetic, no stage is anomaly)
- Type 2 diabetes, UK/Stoke-on-trent (MEDC, Lifestyle, stage 4)
- Alzheimer's, UK (MEDC, mental health, no stage is anomaly)
- Radiation poisoning, Chernobyl (MEDC/FCC, incidental, no stage is an anomaly)
Reply 15
One thing that confuses me is according to the pre release aren't we suppose to only be looking at health risks associated with pollution? Cos a lot of people keep say they are using HIV but how is that a health risk from pollution ? :/

Reply 16
Original post by jaredjw
One thing that confuses me is according to the pre release aren't we suppose to only be looking at health risks associated with pollution? Cos a lot of people keep say they are using HIV but how is that a health risk from pollution ? :/

Not pollution know because the pre-release said nothing about it at all. The focus is quality of life and the health risks, only pollution ones should be the anomaly of incidental (e.g. Chernobyl) and maybe one for an example of a NIC showing double health burden (e.g china)
Reply 17
Lool how could I have been looking at last years pre release!!!!!! Fank **** for you sergeant ha

Reply 18
Original post by jaredjw
Lool how could I have been looking at last years pre release!!!!!! Fank **** for you sergeant ha

No problem :biggrin: i listed my case studies further up the thread if you need help :smile:
Reply 19
Yh cheers man. Considering I have to start from scratch now!! are there any models u think we cud use except the epidemiological one cos that we take a good 10 mins to draw out lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending