The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jazzykinks
x

Original post by Cinnie
x

Thank you guys.

I'm scared about going to see my GP. I've never got on well with any of them and this seems like such a personal issue that I can't bear the idea of going and them being sniffy and unhelpful with me like they have been in the past. I'm also scared they'll say there's nothing wrong with me (I don't think I'm underweight) although I know my eating is definately disordered. My family are incredibly old fashioned and don't 'believe' in anorexia and I think going to my GP is frightening as it's finally admitting the problem publically. Right now I want to believe I can manage this on my own - and I used to think I could, but as each day passes, I'm beginning to see I probably can't...

Spoiler

Thank you all for your help. There are amazing people on this thread. Absolutely amazing.
Original post by Anonymous

I never feel worthy of being diagnosed as anorexic.

I 100% also feel like that. I guess that's all part of it though - the internal dialogue of not feeling good enough, 'sick' enough, thin enough etc. x
Original post by beebie
I 100% also feel like that. I guess that's all part of it though - the internal dialogue of not feeling good enough, 'sick' enough, thin enough etc. x

Same. At my worst I would have met all but 2 diagnostic criteria for AN, had I been dragged to the doctors. Still didn't think I had a problem...
does anyone feel uncomfortable when the conversation topic is on food and/or diet? How do you deal with it?

Also, how do you deal with people who make jibes (undeliberately)?
Original post by cowsforsale
does anyone feel uncomfortable when the conversation topic is on food and/or diet? How do you deal with it?

Also, how do you deal with people who make jibes (undeliberately)?

Yes. I don't. Lets just say I can't eat downstairs if biggest loser is on. Can't be downstairs if Supersize vs Superskinny is on. Hated the last 4 weeks of biology lessons because they were to do with our scientific article, which is about AN/the media.
Hey

I'm a guy of normal weight and even though i know for a fact i have a healthy body fat percentage i always look at myself and see a really fat person. I see myself and want to lose more weight.

I've lost 2stone ish in the last few months. Sitting at around 11stone atm and i think i look even fatter now than before sometimes. I know i don't as there are pictures where i looka lot better/thinner but at other times i hate my own body.

Also, sometimes i obsess over my food. I've got better and relaxed it over the last 2 weeks since i told someone irl but it's still tough and people i know in real life can be mean about it without even realising.
Thank you guys.

I'm scared about going to see my GP. I've never got on well with any of them and this seems like such a personal issue that I can't bear the idea of going and them being sniffy and unhelpful with me like they have been in the past. I'm also scared they'll say there's nothing wrong with me (I don't think I'm underweight) although I know my eating is definately disordered. My family are incredibly old fashioned and don't 'believe' in anorexia and I think going to my GP is frightening as it's finally admitting the problem publically. Right now I want to believe I can manage this on my own - and I used to think I could, but as each day passes, I'm beginning to see I probably can't...

Spoiler

Thank you all for your help. There are amazing people on this thread. Absolutely amazing.

The first step is the hardest, I believe in you as do many others here :hugs:
Thank you guys.

Spoiler

Stay strong, we're all here for you. It's not easy, that's why supporting each other and celebrating every little success and helping each other up when we fall is so important!
So you had a bad day. This doesn't mean it has to be a bad week. Time to be strong and start again tomorrow with a positive attitude. Yes it will be hard but have faith, just the act of choosing cake yesterday was such an achievement! You've let the negative outweigh the positive here. Stop feeling like a failure because of what you haven't done and look at all the things that you have. That's something I want to be able to do, so badly, and I'm not strong enough to do it. You're already proving to be a good fighter against it!
Relax. You do need to see your GP. Yes, some of them can be very blasé about the whole thing and dismissive, but you need to tell them straight how much this is affecting your life. I'm currently having to get my diabetes team to force my GP to refer me because he's horrible and basically said he couldn't care less what I do because I'm "not his problem". But that's not to say all doctors are like that, I've met some lovely ones too. Keep on at them enough and they will have to help you.
Chin up lovely, and keep us updated! You can do this. You can be healthy again.
Reply 3608
Original post by ClaireyG
Another question for those of us in recovery. Do you find that you get super bloated when you eat even a reasonably sized meal? And how long did it take for your weight to redistribute properly. Having a disproportionately large pot belly is starting to get me down. :frown:

Yes :frown: Food baby!

Original post by .snowflake.
I'm not convinced my friends really are my friends. All the photographs from the ball are appearing on facebook. I look horrendous in all of them. The ones mum took, I look fat, and have my eyes shut in all of them. In the candids taken by friends, i look fat in them, my face looks really short and i have no neck. The ones taken on an SLR, I look miserable in all of them. I had to be tit taped into my own dress because it's too big. Yet I look like the size of a small elephant in the photographs.

This is absolutely not true! You look great in them!

Original post by beebie

That's why I put off getting help for so long, or admitting I had a problem - I felt like I was too fat for anyone to take me seriously.
Reply 3609

Spoiler

My mind is a train wreck today. Moreso because this threatens to overshadow the massive achievement I had the other day of holding a tarantula (been an arachnophobe since I can remember :colondollar:)
(edited 11 years ago)
Riku, your amazing. Tarantulas. Yuck. Nothing should have that many legs/ eyes.

I am so ****ing confused. I feel bigger than ever, yet this t-shirt I'm wearing has never been this loose before.

Spoiler

Is this the point where I'm supposed to realise I'm going crazy?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3611
So i'm gonna add my little bit of crazy... Not in a position to give advice to you guys right now but when i'm thinking straight...

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Cinnie
So i'm gonna add my little bit of crazy... Not in a position to give advice to you guys right now but when i'm thinking straight...

Spoiler

:hugging: Don't panic about it. We'll all mad here in the asylum. Be warned, it's much easier to get in than it is to get out.
Reply 3613
Im gonna try forgetting calories exist and eating when i'm hungry, and making balanced rational choices. Will give it a week and see what the result is. Realistically it's probably wise to count calories for 'junk' foods and treats when considering them but hopefully not the rest.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Cinnie
Im gonna try forgetting calories exist and eating when i'm hungry, and making balanced rational choices. Will give it a week and see what the result is. Realistically it's probably wise to count calories for 'junk' foods and treats when considering them but hopefully not the rest.

:hugs: you can do this. Whether I can keep my sanity is another matter entirely.
Reply 3615
Original post by .snowflake.
:hugs: you can do this. Whether I can keep my sanity is another matter entirely.

:hugs: Hate body dismorphia, your clothes don't lie, your ED does!

And anyway, remember your weight doesn't have anything to do with your self-worth. xxx
Original post by Cinnie
:hugs: Hate body dismorphia, your clothes don't lie, your ED does!

And anyway, remember your weight doesn't have anything to do with your self-worth. xxx

I know. but it's difficult to separate irrational mind stuff and rational mind things. Combined with my first A2 exam in just over a week. AND it's in the subject I essentially had to beg for my predicted grade to go up, so I'd get more than 1 offer through UCAS. I'm terrified I'll let sir down. I desperately want to make up for last year, because they were awful.

It's always fun when you see in the news 'Study shows premature babies are more likely to suffer from mental health issues' then you're all 'I was buggered from that start wasn't I'
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Riku

Spoiler

My mind is a train wreck today. Moreso because this threatens to overshadow the massive achievement I had the other day of holding a tarantula (been an arachnophobe since I can remember :colondollar:)

I really do hope this is just a temporary bad patch for you. I've seen so many inspiring posts by you noting all your achievements; please don't forget about those! Your posts always uplift me.
Nobody's perfect and everybody has their off days.
Don't cut yourself off, you need support in times like these. Come on, pick yourself up, take a deep breath and take another step forward.
You can do this! It's good that you've let it all out here; the worst thing you can do is bottle it all up. It's good to see that you know that you don't have to suffer the low points alone.
As for the tarantula? Awesome! :biggrin:
Here's to a better week, please stay positive and please stay strong.
Bulimia and scared. I had a handful of raisins just now and I freaked out. I stood infront of my bathroom mirror and had to glare at myself - dare myself... convince myself that it was ok.... "As long as you don't eat tomorrow" But I KNOW I will. I've got to. This is exam season!! Someone help me. How quickly will I gain the weight if I eat normally and not purge everything?

Is this true? I'll gain it all back really quickly???

D:
Original post by CollateralElement
Bulimia and scared. I had a handful of raisins just now and I freaked out. I stood infront of my bathroom mirror and had to glare at myself - dare myself... convince myself that it was ok.... "As long as you don't eat tomorrow" But I KNOW I will. I've got to. This is exam season!! Someone help me. How quickly will I gain the weight if I eat normally and not purge everything?

Is this true? I'll gain it all back really quickly???

D:

First of all....RELAX.
It's exam time. You have enough stress without this irrational fear taking hold of you and even though deep down you KNOW eating won't suddenly make you put on stones, you have to try your very very hardest to eat normally and keep your brain full of enough energy to concentrate. You deserve to do your very very best and must not let this disorder ruin your grades; you're worth more than that.
Keep us posted here on how it's going. You won't suddenly gain a load of weight if your eating is as you say "normal". Please look after yourself, your mind is such a precious thing. The disorder racks your body, please don't let it spoil your chances of getting great grades. Keep fighting it, you've got support behind you here :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest