The Student Room Group

Studying in Germany

Hi Guys,

Basically, I want to study for a degree in Germany.

Although I don't have the necessary qualifications it seems, I didn't complete A-Levels, I only have GCSE's.

I'm pretty fluent in German, I've passed the TestDAF and I'm upto level C1 on the language framework therefore my understanding of the German language would not be a problem.

Is there any way I could access a University in Germany through an access course or a foundation year?

If anyone could share some information, It would be appreciated

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Honestly, why don't you research this on your own? Some universities might have a foundation year. Usually German schools are picky with non-Abitur qualifications such as the IB so a foundation year would be your only feasible option, in my view.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
So far I have not seen anyone who started studying in Germany without Abitur (or equivalent) qualifications. However, I started studying here a year ago and can highly recommend it! For a very good education I pay less than 400 euros/year. Even though I started studying with knowing very little German, I quickly picked up on it. It is even possible to do entire degrees in English but I think being able to speak a foreign language is an asset. At the moment it is extremely easy to find a job here too.

So if you ask for my opinion: go for it!
Hi Guys,

I got admitted to University of Applied Sciences, Ravensburg Weingarten for MSc in Mechatronics for WS 2012/13. What is your opinion about the university, the education, effectiveness of the degree and the post degree opportunities if any? It would be of great help if I could get some valuable information on these.

Thanks & Regards
Hari
Reply 4
Original post by harimachismo
Hi Guys,

I got admitted to University of Applied Sciences, Ravensburg Weingarten for MSc in Mechatronics for WS 2012/13. What is your opinion about the university, the education, effectiveness of the degree and the post degree opportunities if any? It would be of great help if I could get some valuable information on these.

Thanks & Regards
Hari

I have never heard of this university even though I live in Germany. Also, it wouldve been helpful if you said that you are applying for a Master's and what your Bachelor qualification is. My best advice would be for you to visit the uni.
Hi Guys,

Thanks & Regards
Hari

University of Applied Sciences = Polytechnic, nevertheless the job prospects can be still great,
Original post by Ameen
Hi Guys,

Basically, I want to study for a degree in Germany.

Although I don't have the necessary qualifications it seems, I didn't complete A-Levels, I only have GCSE's.

I'm pretty fluent in German, I've passed the TestDAF and I'm upto level C1 on the language framework therefore my understanding of the German language would not be a problem.

Is there any way I could access a University in Germany through an access course or a foundation year?

If anyone could share some information, It would be appreciated

Thanks

You could try it at a Studienkolleg (but GSCEs are probably to low to gain admittance) or do directly your Abitur in Germany. As not even every A Level combination meet the criteria for University Entrance GSCEs will clearly not be enough and foundation degrees don't really exist. (In general a "mature" student would use distance learning or go to special part or full time schools to do his Abitur/fachgebundene Hochschulreife to gain University entrance. Entrance due to professionel experience is realtively new and still very rare.)

Probably A Levels would be still the easiest way for you to do it. I don't know if you would be accepted to go to a school in Germany (but why not? probably you would need to hurry) and it would often take you two years, exspecially for full Abitur, but this is the route immigrants take.
Original post by Andre93
I have never heard of this university even though I live in Germany. Also, it wouldve been helpful if you said that you are applying for a Master's and what your Bachelor qualification is. My best advice would be for you to visit the uni.

Hello Andre,
I'm applying for an MSc(Masters). I have a bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. I'm from India and it's not really practical of me visiting the university. From your comment, I don't think you have a great opinion about the univ. Can you please gather more info for me? Also have you heard of Univ of Siegen, Univ of Karlsruhe?

Thanks & Regards
Hari
Original post by Nathanielle
University of Applied Sciences = Polytechnic, nevertheless the job prospects can be still great,

Are there any disadvantages in studying at one, that cannot be overlooked?
Are there any disadvantages in studying at one, that cannot be overlooked?

If you love theory and research, than it is probably not for you. Otherwise it depends totally on the "Polytechnic" (and subject). It is often another style than University and the aim of the education is to work, not to research. Some people will say, they missed the acedmic thinking, others will be very happy to have missed it. Compared to the Universities outside Germany you will find a couple who are at the same level or beneath if it comes to acedemic quality and job prospects.

But I don't know the details, so I can't help you further. You can look at their international partners, industry connection and syllabus, the NC maybe also an indicator how popular the course is, that won't tell you all, but a lot.

When it comes down to PHD it is more difficult but not impossible to go for it. But if you plan to do one, you will be happier at a University, as they will teach you how to research and you will have moe oppurtunities to get in contact with potential supervisors. (Polytechnics don't have PHD students.)
Hello Andre,
I'm applying for an MSc(Masters). I have a bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. I'm from India and it's not really practical of me visiting the university. From your comment, I don't think you have a great opinion about the univ. Can you please gather more info for me? Also have you heard of Univ of Siegen, Univ of Karlsruhe?

Thanks & Regards
Hari

For Mechanical Engineering when it comes down to the Universities, than the TU 9 are allways a good hint, KIT is definitely very good.
Reply 11
Hello Andre,

Thanks & Regards
Hari

Karlsruhe is familiar. I would recommend you also apply there.
Thank you for the information.
Original post by Andre93
Karlsruhe is familiar. I would recommend you also apply there.

I have already applied there. Hope, I get through. I missed one, I have also applied to RWTH Aachen.
Reply 14
You really need to find a course first and then enquire at the respective universities about admissions criteria. It varies a lot depending on institution (whether Fachhochschule or Universität) and Bundesland. I think it could be a waste of time doing A Levels unless you want to go to a Fachhochschule (applied university) because they are normally regarded as a Fachabi and not as an Allgemeine Hochschulreife because the breadth of subjects is too narrow, and then the Fachabi would have to relate to a course at a Fachhochschule. IB would thus be better. It is not possible to be admitted to a German university without some form of Abitur unless you in some cases you have a certain amount of professional experience or have done an Ausbildung. Although it's inflexbile in that way, an Allgemeine Hochschulreife (which you can nachholen at a Kolleg/Abendgymnasium - google "der Zweite Bildungsweg"), once gained, is a golden ticket. Unlike in Britain, many university courses even at prestigious universities, have no Numerus Clausus (oder "nicht-zulassungsbeschränkt), which means anyone with an Abi can sign up a couple of months' before the beginning of the semester and start in September.

It may be different in other regions but in Bavaria this is your option:

- zwei Jahre Berufstätigkeit to qualify for state Kolleg/Abendgymnasium
- ein Jahr Vorbereitungskurs (unless you've done German at Mittlere Reife level, which if not educated in Germany/Austria/Switzerland, you won't have done) at state Kolleg/Abendgymnasium
- 2-3 years for Abitur at Kolleg/Abendgymnasium
- Can start at university

6 years just to get to the stage of being able to go to uni?!

I'd seriously think about your desire to study at a German university before proceeding.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jo1692
You really need to find a course first and then enquire at the respective universities about admissions criteria. It varies a lot depending on institution (whether Fachhochschule or Universität) and Bundesland. I think it could be a waste of time doing A Levels unless you want to go to a Fachhochschule (applied university) because they are normally regarded as a Fachabi and not as an Allgemeine Hochschulreife because the breadth of subjects is too narrow, and then the Fachabi would have to relate to a course at a Fachhochschule. IB would thus be better. It is not possible to be admitted to a German university without some form of Abitur unless you in some cases you have a certain amount of professional experience or have done an Ausbildung. Although it's inflexbile in that way, an Allgemeine Hochschulreife (which you can nachholen at a Kolleg/Abendgymnasium - google "der Zweite Bildungsweg"), once gained, is a golden ticket. Unlike in Britain, many university courses even at prestigious universities, have no Numerus Clausus (oder "nicht-zulassungsbeschränkt), which means anyone with an Abi can sign up a couple of months' before the beginning of the semester and start in September.

It may be different in other regions but in Bavaria this is your option:

- zwei Jahre Berufstätigkeit to qualify for state Kolleg/Abendgymnasium
- ein Jahr Vorbereitungskurs (unless you've done German at Mittlere Reife level, which if not educated in Germany/Austria/Switzerland, you won't have done) at state Kolleg/Abendgymnasium
- 2-3 years for Abitur at Kolleg/Abendgymnasium
- Can start at university

6 years just to get to the stage of being able to go to uni?!

I'd seriously think about your desire to study at a German university before proceeding.

That is correct with the exception of the 6 years, because with GSCES (should count as Mittlere Reife, at least it is the other way round), he would need as long as in the UK to get A Levels who are the equivalent of a Fachgebundene Hochschulreife.

Just to clarify the other possibilities: (For questions regarding the equivalency of A Levels and "Abitur" please search for the Abitur thread in the International Study forum, where I have linked the important information.)

You have three different University entrance qualification (there are more exotic ones, but they aren't applicable to your situation):
1) Fachholschulreife => You gain entrance into Universities of Applied Science(=Polytechnic), after one year at a University of Applied Science you maybe are upgraded to a Fachgebundene Hochschulreife, but after your Bachelor at the University of Applied Science you are allowed to enter Universities BUT that is only a goodie to proceed to further studies and not a "way" to get Abitur
2) Fachgebundene Hochschulreife => for Universities (and thus also Universities of Applied Sciences), the same thing as A Levels, as they only allow entrance for a certain range of subjects
3) Abitur(Allgemeine Hochschulreife) => University/Polytechnics/ ALL SUBJECTS, five full A Levels are accepted as equivalent

The above posted possibilities are for people with work experience, there is also the FOS (Fachoberschule), where students with a high enough "Mittlere Reife" can proceed to Abitur or Fachgebundene Hochschulreife and which takes three years.

PS.: Bavarian System, in other Länder that differs, e.g. in BaWü you have also the Technische Gymnasium (Technical Grammar School)

=> I don't know how it is for foreigners, but 6 years are definitely too long.

For A Levels you have to enquire before, which A Levels they want you to do for the course and aren't able to apply to whichever course you like. Thus you won't be faster than in the UK. (GSCES are done in Germany after grade 10.)

PS.: Sorry for my English, I came homelate from work in another language.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
That is correct with the exception of the 6 years, because with GSCES (should count as Mittlere Reife, at least it is the other way round), he would need as long as in the UK to get A Levels who are the equivalent of a Fachgebundene Hochschulreife.

Mir wurde erklärt, dass ich einen Vorbereitungskurs machen muss, da ich unter keinen Umständen Deutsch bis zur mittleren Reife bestanden haben kann. Das gilt natürlich für jeden, der außerhalb des deutschsprachigen Raum auf die Schule gegangen ist.

Im Übrigen mit Fachabi meinte ich eigentlich die fachgebundene Hochschulreife. Das hätte ich klarer machen sollen.

3) Abitur(Allgemeine Hochschulreife) => University/Polytechnics/ ALL SUBJECTS, five full A Levels are accepted as equivalent

In fast jedem Fall macht man nur drei oder höchstens vier. Deswegen gibt es oft einfach keine Möglichkeit fünf A Levels an einer Schule zu machen. Außerdem müssen die fünf A-Level-Fächer richtig gewählt sein, damit sie den normalen Abitur-Fächern entsprechen.

Auf jeden Fall würde ich mich einfach an die entsprechende Universität wenden.

EDIT: Why the negative rating? If I write something controversial, with potentially opposing views, I can see why I could get negged, but here?! Was it because the info is incorrect? I reassure you it is not, this is what both the Bavaria's Kultusministärium and the local "Abitur nachholen" Kolleg told me about the Mittlere Reife issue. Also it is the case that it is often impossible to do 5 WHOLE A Levels, without studying extra ones at home and putting a lot of pressure on yourself, and you do have to do 5 subjects that reflect those done for the Abitur e.g. see http://www.brd.nrw.de/schule/schulrecht_schulverwaltung/pdf/Merkblatt_GB.pdf . Or because it's written in German? I was replying to an OP who should have good enough German to understand it if they're contemplating studying in Germany and was also quoting a poster who is German. I would really love to know.
(edited 11 years ago)
hello

I'm an international student applying for MS Project Management and Data Science at HTW Berlin. Please is HTW really a Polytechnic? Does degrees at HTW on same level with the ones offered in German universities? Are there other universities that offer Project Management and Data Science/ Business Analytics?

Thanks for your responses
Reply 19
hi all,

i am going to pursue my music studies in germany could anyone give any information about the good college and about the entrance exams?

Quick Reply

Latest