The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sam1309
That is really encouraging that living costs you that, especially saying you eat fresh fish which costs a fortune. I had visions of eating 11p noodles like my mate. Does this require a lot of budgeting and sticking to it?

It depends what sort of fresh fish you eat - mackerel, for instance, is cheap and very nice, whereas I normally only buy more expensive fish like salmon and tuna steak when it's on special offer / reduced.

I don't really bother budgeting too much, but I do keep a close eye on what I spend if you see what I mean.

If you want to work out how much your weekly shop might cost you, then write out a meal plan for the week and then look on www.sainsburys.co.uk to work out how much it will cost you.

Original post by Black-Adder
Well,that doesn't sound too bad at all.
But I will have to stop smoking.
Cigarettes are expensive as hell in England.

Yes - I don't smoke - I couldn't afford to! I think cigarettes are about £6 for a packet of 20, although if you roll your own (as almost all students who smoke do) then it works out a lot cheaper.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
thanks for all the info. I'd like to read some comments about Canterbury,Burkhardt and Pankhurst court if possible! :smile:
Reply 2182
Original post by Origami Bullets
It depends what sort of fresh fish you eat - mackerel, for instance, is cheap and very nice, whereas I normally only buy more expensive fish like salmon and tuna steak when it's on special offer / reduced.

I don't really bother budgeting too much, but I do keep a close eye on what I spend if you see what I mean.

If you want to work out how much your weekly shop might cost you, then write out a meal plan for the week and then look on www.sainsburys.co.uk to work out how much it will cost you.

I don't eat fresh fish, just working in a supermarket I've seen how expensive it is. I think get what you mean, sort of asking yourself twice if you need something sort of thing?

And with the weekly shop thing I should probably learn to cook a weeks worth of meals before I try that
Original post by Sam1309
I don't eat fresh fish, just working in a supermarket I've seen how expensive it is. I think get what you mean, sort of asking yourself twice if you need something sort of thing?

And with the weekly shop thing I should probably learn to cook a weeks worth of meals before I try that

It's generally a case of asking if I'm going to eat it before it goes off. I also use a budgeting app to keep a track of what I'm spending.
£400?! what the **** I am not going to be able to afford that AT ALL
Original post by IrishPerson
£400?! what the **** I am not going to be able to afford that AT ALL

If it's really going to be a problem for you, then contact the university and they will work something out with you.
X

I did a video tour of Oak House just for you!

Quote me to see the code :smile:

Yes - I don't smoke - I couldn't afford to! I think cigarettes are about £6 for a packet of 20, although if you roll your own (as almost all students who smoke do) then it works out a lot cheaper.

Yeah. In my country (Croatia) it's 1.5-2.5£ per 20-pack so I can afford it,although some people complain that it's still too expensive.
Edit: I just looked at Tesco's site,and rolling tobacco is also quite expensive.
I see that I will buy 30 boxes at home and bring it here.

Original post by ellakrystina

Woooow,it actually does look like a prison.
I like it anyway,the rooms are pretty much standard.
But there are no couches,right?
This living room could be better.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
(edited 11 years ago)
And do you people know how much does it cost to rent a flat for lets say 3 people somewhere in town,in a few miles radius from the Uni?

I bet it's cheaper even than Oak House (per person)
I lived in Weston Hall which is across the road from the Sackville Building - not cheap, but I'd recommend it.
Woooow,it actually does look like a prison.
I like it anyway,the rooms are pretty much standard.
But there are no couches,right?
This living room could be better.

Have you ever been in a prison? I see no prison bunkbeds and I teach in a prison.
Unless you saw sofas then there are no sofas.
(edited 11 years ago)
Relax

And thanks for the video

P.S.

I've never been in a prison,but I went once to the detention house on a school trip,and the walls look just like Oak House.

I never said that I have anything against it.
Interior estethics is absolutely unimportant for me.

Btw,what's the difference between a sofa and a couch?

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ellakrystina

Wow, that's amazing! +rep I wish my kitchen was as clean as yours though . . . although I have to admit that my room isn't that tidy either - I have one flatmate who describes it in terms of various warzones, depending on how bad it is that day!

Now I've finished stressing over exams, I can do some more work on this FAQ :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
And do you people know how much does it cost to rent a flat for lets say 3 people somewhere in town,in a few miles radius from the Uni?

I bet it's cheaper even than Oak House (per person)

Not necessarily. For a typical student let (not a rat-infested pit, not a palace), you're talking £70-80pppw, plus bills, so it works out as

Oak House
£82 for 40 weeks = £3280 (all bills included)

Private shared flat (conservative estimate)
£70 for 44 weeks = £3080
£35 for 8 weeks (it's common to only charge half rent over the summer, but you will be on a 52 week contract in total) = £280
Bills - typically £10-15pppw, so £10 for 52 weeks = £520
Deposit - typically £300-400, and you may or may not get it back.
Total = £3880 + deposit

(This is a good idea for a question for the FAQ - thanks :smile:)

Btw,what's the difference between a sofa and a couch?

Nothing - it's just two different words for the same thing.
Wow, that's amazing! +rep I wish my kitchen was as clean as yours though . . . although I have to admit that my room isn't that tidy either - I have one flatmate who describes it in terms of various warzones, depending on how bad it is that day!

Now I've finished stressing over exams, I can do some more work on this FAQ :smile:

We have an amazing cleaner - it's all her work! My dick of a flatmate SERIOUSLY trashed it last night but the cleaner got straight to it before the rest of us had managed to clean it up, bless her.
Think I'm going to pinch your idea ellakrystina and do a similar video for WP if that's okay? Need to boost our rep following that horrible one which was posted of accomb a few years ago :P. My room will need cleaning first though! ><.
Hey ppl,did anybody of you travel to London by train?
Is it practical?
I looked,and the prices for train seem just fine.

I'm asking because plane ticket Zagreb-London is 3x cheaper than Zagreb-Manchester

Hey ppl,did anybody of you travel to London by train?
Is it practical?
I looked,and the prices for train seem just fine.

I'm asking because plane ticket Zagreb-London is 3x cheaper than Zagreb-Manchester

It's a 2 hour train journey, I believe, and will take you into Manchester Piccadilly station.

However, you will have to
a) work out how you get from the London Airport (of which there are 5) to your mainline station. Some of them have their own train stations, but at others you will have to get a coach (National Express is the major UK coach company, if you want to have a look) into central London, and then find your way from the bus station to London Euston, where trains to Manchester go from. I'm not entirely familiar with London's public transport, but this is likely to involve a bus / taxi ride.
b) at Manchester Piccadilly, I'd recommend getting a taxi to your halls. But that's only because you'll be tired, carrying lots of stuff, and in an unfamiliar city. If you don't get a taxi, then you'll have to walk the 5-10 mins from the station to the bus stops, and then find the right bus etc. The taxi will cost you about £10.

Anyway, yes, it is possible, so long as you can stomach airport-coach-bus-train-taxi! Don't forget to factor in some extra time in case the plane / coach / train is late though.

If you come into Manchester Airport, then it's relatively simple because you can get a bus from the airport (it's either a number 42 or 43; I can never remember). That bus will then take you along Wilmslow / Oxford Road, and drop you directly outside the Fallowfield halls, or on Oxford Road near to the City Campus halls.
I'd like some info about Canterbury Court Pankhurst Court and Burkhardt House :smile:
Reply 2199
Hey,

Quick question - I've applied to three halls as standard in the application, I get my unofficial degree results tomorrow, and official ones some time in July, graduation certificate in September. It says they'll give me a response by the 12th of September but kinda need to know if I've got a place before then.. Should I email them straight away tomorrow and say that I've met my conditions? Will give me a response about my placement?

Cheers,

T.