The Student Room Group

TSR Halo Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
So I guess they may be a rogue group or they broke off from the whole civil war to follow the Covenant.

Could be :holmes:
Just went ahead and preordered the limited edition after seeing the gameplay stuff. Looking good so far!
Reply 1282
Haven't played Halo Reach in about 3 months, and stopped playing it regularly last Christmas. Reach is just a bad Halo game, a good FPS, but a poor Halo. If Halo 4 is more of a throwback to Halo 2/3 I will be ecstatic. Had over 40 days of game-time in Halo 3....

As for the E3 first looks, the new skin and graphics update looks cool, but that is to be expected, the features revealed so far haven't annoyed me, so Halo 4's release may just get me back into Halo. Although, I really hope it has a proper ranking system, something I can invest into and see a permanent reward, I grinded out 4 level 50's in Halo 3 and enjoyed playing at the highest level and maintaining them, but never got that satisfaction with achieving the Onyx division in Reach. Hopefully Halo 4 instills a 1-50 or similar ranking system.
The Elites pretty much took control of the Covenant after Truth was killed. Most of the Prophets died in High Charity, and the Brutes probably just started fighting upmonst themselves, so it makes sense that the Elites would have little opposition in taking over.

I'm trying to get hold of Glasslands, but Amazon seems to have de-listed the kindle version, and I'm reluctant to pay out extra for paper copy right now, but from the extracts I listened to on 343's pod casts suggested something along those lines.
Original post by Gibbers
Haven't played Halo Reach in about 3 months, and stopped playing it regularly last Christmas. Reach is just a bad Halo game, a good FPS, but a poor Halo. If Halo 4 is more of a throwback to Halo 2/3 I will be ecstatic. Had over 40 days of game-time in Halo 3....

I've recently got back into Reach. Didn't like it but now they've got rid of bloom in MLG gametypes and they have games like Rockethog, it's actually pretty good. Nothing on Halo 3 though.

Btw, how did you check how much game time you had in Halo 3? I'm curious about finding out my own.
Game looks really good so far, but I am worried that the multiplayer seems to be more like Reach than Halo 3.

I felt like armour abilities was just such a step backwards compared to the relative simplicity of Halo 3 online, which I don't think many will disagree was the better of the two.

On a more positive note, was glad to see the Battle rifle return!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1286
I've recently got back into Reach. Didn't like it but now they've got rid of bloom in MLG gametypes and they have games like Rockethog, it's actually pretty good. Nothing on Halo 3 though.

Btw, how did you check how much game time you had in Halo 3? I'm curious about finding out my own.

Hmm, did it yesterday, let's see -

1) You go to halo.xbox.com
2) Login to the site using the email linked to your gamertag
3) Go to Career Overview by clicking the drop down menu underneath your gamertag at the top of the page
4) In the bottom right it says Halo Stat's Summary - Click Halo 3
5) Click Multiplayer
6) Become ashamed by how much of your life you've wasted away on a game
Original post by Gibbers
Hmm, did it yesterday, let's see -

1) You go to halo.xbox.com
2) Login to the site using the email linked to your gamertag
3) Go to Career Overview by clicking the drop down menu underneath your gamertag at the top of the page
4) In the bottom right it says Halo Stat's Summary - Click Halo 3
5) Click Multiplayer
6) Become ashamed by how much of your life you've wasted away on a game

My total comes to 64 days spread over 4-5 years. :ashamed2:
My total comes to 64 days spread over 4-5 years. :ashamed2:

I think mine's 16 days, seems like too little though considering that in my younger days I could pour upwards of 8 hours a day into the game :\ is it days/hours/minutes/seconds?
Original post by CRHarrison
The Elites pretty much took control of the Covenant after Truth was killed. Most of the Prophets died in High Charity, and the Brutes probably just started fighting upmonst themselves, so it makes sense that the Elites would have little opposition in taking over.

I'm trying to get hold of Glasslands, but Amazon seems to have de-listed the kindle version, and I'm reluctant to pay out extra for paper copy right now, but from the extracts I listened to on 343's pod casts suggested something along those lines.

You can have mine if you want?

Here's a snapshot of the campaign from E3 and my buddy Paul.

Its looks good, I like the "discvovery" feel that Halo2 had.

343 introducing the Promethean class of forerunner warrier (of which Didact also belongs to) completely silly. I am quite miffed at 343 for employing Greg Bear to write the books now. If anyone has read Cryptum, or not, basically its pre forerunner-flood war, 120,000 years, in which Humans and forerunners lived along side each other, and were of similarish technological capability (tier 1), and then had a war, in which the forerunner "de-evolutionised" humanity back to hunter gather stages, which the precursors got angry at since they weren't protecting the mantle philosphy, so created the flood outside the milky way galaxy (where the prescursors had been forced to go after a war with the forerunner ever earlier) to take care of the forerunners. And that's where the story links up with the Halo 3 terminals, where Medicant Bias is telling the chief about how the Librarian (another class of forerunner I forget the name of, the humanoid appearing ones) took samples of specied from all over the galaxy and but them on the ark, after array activiation, they were all sent back, and that's covered in the Halo Legends stories.

Cryptum really focused on the pre forerunner-flood, and pre forerunner-human war, following a forerunner from the world builders class (highest) and exploring the different castes of forerunner species, and human competive technology. Its a while since I read it, so can't remember too much, and I'm excited about the new book http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo:_Primordium. Which is more interlinked with halo 4, which is what the old auther Nylund did, when he wrote the books (I forget the names) which set the story/back-story for Halo 2 and 3.

But I find that greg bear is trivialising a lot of what went on the first 3 games, meaning all that we learnt from the terminals in 3 and halo combat evolved anniversary, especially, 3, kind of obsolete and trivialised.

Anyway, Joseph staten is working on much of the In game, non-background side of the story, so hopefully we will see some resolutions and linear plotting with regards to the Elites and the covenant and the UNSC/humanity. Whereas Greg Bear has been brought in by 343, wasn't involved with Bungie, so has fluffed up the continuity and canon of the back-story for the books/halo 4.

And yes.

I am a MASSIVE Halo nerd.

:tongue:
Original post by prog2djent

And yes.

I am a MASSIVE Halo nerd.

:tongue:

Me too :smile:

What's your favourite book?

Fall of Reach for me :smile:

how have the other authors measured up to eric nylund?

Halo 4 looks good imo, I've missed the chief.
"41.04:18:38" I've played 41 days, 4 hours, 18 minutes and 38 seconds. Dayum.

ANd halo 4 looks insanely good, key upgrade are dem visuals. :eek:
Reply 1293
Hope Halo 4 updates Theatre so that you can watch clips in parties once again and makes Forge even more user friendly so creatively deprived people like myself can still produce something decent.

Also hope that there is no BS like Armour Lock or something.
Halo 3:

34.22: 49:10

Reach: 8 days, 13 hours, 6 minutes
Original post by Gibbers
Also hope that there is no BS like Armour Lock or something.

From what I've heard, there will be armour abilities involved in the online...:redface:

Somebody here can probably confirm/deny that because I'm unsure, but if there are, I might just be playing the campaign. Halo 3's online was undoubtedly better than Reach's but it seems like this is the way the series is being taken, sadly.

Campaign looks great though so I'm not all doom and gloom :tongue:
Original post by kingkongjaffa
Me too :smile:

What's your favourite book?

Fall of Reach for me :smile:

how have the other authors measured up to eric nylund?

Halo 4 looks good imo, I've missed the chief.

I've only read first strike, ghost of onyx, and Cryptum.

I'm wanting to get hold of Primordium soon, after exams. I've never read the fall of reach and the flood, seen as both are essentially the same as the games, reach and CE obviously haha. Someone called Karen Traviss has one called "Glasslands" from october last year. I think that's all the books, I don't really care for the UNSC side of the Novels, which are all the ones I haven't read haha. Greg Bear, compared to Nylund with Onyz and first strike, is a bit too goofy. Sound odd, I know, but he writes in first person, as in a forerunner or human from 120000 years ago speaking, its all a bit Japanese, personal and charcter based in a huge sci-fi, fantasy universe, whereas nylund write more like the flow of a game or movie.
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Forerunner_caste_system Greg Bear is responsible for this, whereas Nylund was responsible for things like Medicant Bias, the mantle, the ark, and Staten for things like the terminals.

When I saw the promethians I was like "sigh", 343 are trying to put something new into the game, which would be cool if it did fit in with the Halo continuity.

I have a feeling they will concentrate on this, along with didact. Instead of focuising what was mentioned in the Halo 3 terminals, which is Medicant bias, and him basically telling you the flood-forerunner librarian-didact story, which suggesting he would sever the portle back to earth, to keep the chief outside the galaxy and present him to the (now bulder class) architects of the ark and rings as forgiveness for his rampancy.
which is Medicant bias, and him basically telling you the flood-forerunner librarian-didact story, which suggesting he would sever the portle back to earth, to keep the chief outside the galaxy and present him to the (now bulder class) architects of the ark and rings as forgiveness for his rampancy.

That is an interesting thought I thought all the forerunners were dead though?

tbh I would rather see chief meet up with the Spartans II's on onyx at some point

BTW are there any books about the time when the forerunners created the maginot line and were about to be overrun by the flood due to mendicant bias' betrayal ?

I think the only bad bit about the halo universe is the whole prehistoric human bit about how we used to be as advanced as the forerunners but they de-evolved us. that bit sucks

Also the creation of the flood by the precursors doesn't make sense either because the forerunner beat the precursors and they had to leave the galaxy, but then magically could create a weapon to kill the forerunners (the flood ) why would they get beat in the first place ?
I've only read first strike, ghost of onyx, and Cryptum.

I'm wanting to get hold of Primordium soon, after exams. I've never read the fall of reach and the flood, seen as both are essentially the same as the games, reach and CE obviously haha. Someone called Karen Traviss has one called "Glasslands" from october last year. I think that's all the books, I don't really care for the UNSC side of the Novels, which are all the ones I haven't read haha. Greg Bear, compared to Nylund with Onyz and first strike, is a bit too goofy. Sound odd, I know, but he writes in first person, as in a forerunner or human from 120000 years ago speaking, its all a bit Japanese, personal and charcter based in a huge sci-fi, fantasy universe, whereas nylund write more like the flow of a game or movie.

Fall of Reach is nothing like the games. The Flood is a paper copy of Halo 1, though.

I've read Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike and Contact Harvest - Fall of Reach is definitely the best one of those 4.

Quick Reply

Latest