The Student Room Group

Aqa Law Unit 3 15th june 2012

Decided to make this thread for the Law 3 exam. I am doing the Criminal section instead of the contract. Last time the the 1st question on the murder part put me off and we did not get taught involuntary manslaughter so the whole class messed up.

How is everyone else getting on with revision and that?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Revision for me is going really well in terms of the scenarios....learning my defences and all....but I'm going through my criticisms and was wondering....do we get asked to evaluate the law on Loss of Control & Dim. Res? Or is it just Murder/Inv. Manslaughter/Non-Fatal/General Defences?

Hope your revision is going well! :goodluck:
Reply 2
Original post by Katerzzz
Revision for me is going really well in terms of the scenarios....learning my defences and all....but I'm going through my criticisms and was wondering....do we get asked to evaluate the law on Loss of Control & Dim. Res? Or is it just Murder/Inv. Manslaughter/Non-Fatal/General Defences?

Hope your revision is going well! :goodluck:

Thats good to hear same here, just need to do some work on the evaluation question.

This is how it works. They can ask 3 types of questions.

1) Reforms on the law of murder and voluntary manslaughter (This is Diminished responsibility and Loss of Control)
2) Reforms on the non fatal offences against the person.
3) Reforms on two defences.

The specification says that they will not ask us for reform on involuntary manslaughter.

In the january exam the reforms on the law of murder and voluntary manslaughter came up therefore the chances are that it wont come up in this June exam. I am therefore revising non fatals and defences.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by govarkarim
Thats good to hear same here, just need to do some work on the evaluation question.

This is how it works. They can ask 3 types of questions.

1) Reforms on the law of murder and voluntary manslaughter (This is Diminished responsibility and Loss of Control)
2) Reforms on the non fatal offences against the person.
3) Reforms on two defences.

The specification says that they will not ask us for reform on involuntary manslaughter.

In the january exam the reforms on the law of murder and voluntary manslaughter came up therefore the chances are that it wont come up in this June exam. I am therefore revising non fatals and defences.

Right, that's great, thank you! And thank god for that because I have virtually NO NOTES on reforms on Loss of Control...so hopefully *fingers crossed* it won't come up again.

For all of the questions, how do you suggest timing yourself? My teacher said if you run out of time and haven't finished then bullet pointing what you would've put will show the examiner you have the knowledge but just couldn't finish in time.
Reply 4
Original post by Katerzzz
Right, that's great, thank you! And thank god for that because I have virtually NO NOTES on reforms on Loss of Control...so hopefully *fingers crossed* it won't come up again.

For all of the questions, how do you suggest timing yourself? My teacher said if you run out of time and haven't finished then bullet pointing what you would've put will show the examiner you have the knowledge but just couldn't finish in time.

Yeah i know same here, i havent even learnt it fully.

Well the exam is 90 mins so 30 mins on each question is what i am planning to do, but if you do the questions in order then on the evaluation question, if you do run out of time just bullet point them; you wont get full marks but you might still get a high mark.

Do a lot of past papers and try to do it in 30 mins. If you cant do it in 30 mins then you most likely have to much stuff in the answer which aren't really that relevant or your very very slow at writing. :P
Reply 5
What evaulation question do you think is likely to come up?! Reform of murder came up in Jan - do you think it'll come up again? I'm thinking possibly Defences??
Reply 6
Original post by blue_
What evaulation question do you think is likely to come up?! Reform of murder came up in Jan - do you think it'll come up again? I'm thinking possibly Defences??

I think Defences is the most likely one to come up. I think because reform of murder came up in January it wont come up again. So its defences or non fatals, and non fatals has come up numerous times before. But personally defences is the one I am not feeling confident on.

If defences did come up which two would you evaluate because it is usually choose 2 to evaluate? However my teacher said they may specify which two rather than give us the option to choose two.
Reply 7
I think Defences is the most likely one to come up. I think because reform of murder came up in January it wont come up again. So its defences or non fatals, and non fatals has come up numerous times before. But personally defences is the one I am not feeling confident on.

If defences did come up which two would you evaluate because it is usually choose 2 to evaluate? However my teacher said they may specify which two rather than give us the option to choose two.

I agree! I've been told to evaulate automatism and insanity, what about you?
Reply 8
Original post by blue_
I agree! I've been told to evaulate automatism and insanity, what about you?

Yeah thats cool, I too am doing insanity but instead of automatism im either gone do intoxication or consent.
Reply 9
Hello! I also have the exam a week on Friday and I would just like some clarity on a point. You get two lots of three questions and you have to pick one of them, will one definitely be on manslaughter and the other murder (scenario) and will the other scenario question always be non-fatal offences? If so then do you think I could get away with just revising Murder and the Non-fatal offences and skip all the manslaughter stuff? In terms of the evaluation essay, I'm guessing its going to be the Defences or NFO this time round given the Murder evaluation in January. I revised literally three days before the exam in January and managed 76/100 which wasn't bad, however I need 82/83 at minimum!

Thanks guys, the help would be much appreciated.
Reply 10
Original post by Tom Hardy
Hello! I also have the exam a week on Friday and I would just like some clarity on a point. You get two lots of three questions and you have to pick one of them, will one definitely be on manslaughter and the other murder (scenario) and will the other scenario question always be non-fatal offences? If so then do you think I could get away with just revising Murder and the Non-fatal offences and skip all the manslaughter stuff? In terms of the evaluation essay, I'm guessing its going to be the Defences or NFO this time round given the Murder evaluation in January. I revised literally three days before the exam in January and managed 76/100 which wasn't bad, however I need 82/83 at minimum!

Thanks guys, the help would be much appreciated.

Yeah so theres two scenario's and in the past prior to the January 2012 exam, 1 scenario was on murder and non fatals and the other on involuntary manslaughter and non fatals. However as you might know in the january 2012 exam, 1 scenario was all on non-fatals and the other was on non fatals, murder and involuntary manslaughter. Therefore it is not certain what will come up this time. I suggest just know the basics with a few cases on involuntary manslaughter.

Thats good why do you need 82/83? what did you get for AS?
Reply 11
I'm on 79 (Unit 1), 82 (Unit 2), 76 (Unit 3) and the Unit 4 is on 22nd June. If I can get 83 on this Unit 3 resit then I will only need 76 on Unit 4 which I'm confident for.

I'm just planning on revising the actus reus and mens rea for murder with a few cases, also the defences of loss of control and diminished responsibility which can reduce the murder to voluntary manslaughter. Then there is the obvious Non-fatal offences to learn for the other question in the scenario along with the various defences. I think I will miss out the Involuntary manslaughter stuff and just do the question which doesn't have involuntary manslaughter in the scenario. Get where I'm coming from?
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey guys. Do I need to write the whole case such as Smith v chief superintendent of Woking police station or can I just shorten it to smith?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13
Original post by Tom Hardy
I'm on 79 (Unit 1), 82 (Unit 2), 76 (Unit 3) and the Unit 4 is on 22nd June. If I can get 83 on this Unit 3 resit then I will only need 76 on Unit 4 which I'm confident for.

I'm just planning on revising the actus reus and mens rea for murder with a few cases, also the defences of loss of control and diminished responsibility which can reduce the murder to voluntary manslaughter. Then there is the obvious Non-fatal offences to learn for the other question in the scenario along with the various defences. I think I will miss out the Involuntary manslaughter stuff and just do the question which doesn't have involuntary manslaughter in the scenario. Get where I'm coming from?

Yeah I see, are you doing tort for unit 4?

Yeah same here, I haven't done involuntary manslaughter either so I too will do the question without it.

Btw I was wondering how do you set out your non-fatal question? As in do you go through all the possible offences or do you just talk about the obvious one in the scenario?
Reply 14
Original post by Jellybeany
Hey guys. Do I need to write the whole case such as Smith v chief superintendent of Woking police station or can I just shorten it to smith?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Well preferably yes if u remember but I'm sure they will still accept it if you wrote Smith v CSWP.

Yeah same here, I haven't done involuntary manslaughter either so I too will do the question without it.

Btw I was wondering how do you set out your non-fatal question? As in do you go through all the possible offences or do you just talk about the obvious one in the scenario?

Are you not going to revise involuntary manslaughter? If you don't mind my asking, WHY??! Lol.
Reply 16
Original post by whattheheck
Are you not going to revise involuntary manslaughter? If you don't mind my asking, WHY??! Lol.

There is no need. There are two scenario's of which usually 1is on murder and the other on involuntary manslaughter. But in January there was 1 scenario all non fatals and the second scenario, on murder involuntary manslaughter. So if that happened again I will do the non fatal scenario.
There is no need. There are two scenario's of which usually 1is on murder and the other on involuntary manslaughter. But in January there was 1 scenario all non fatals and the second scenario, on murder involuntary manslaughter. So if that happened again I will do the non fatal scenario.

Oh right. I see. What if they are both involuntary manslaughter!?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by whattheheck
Oh right. I see. What is they are both involuntary manslaughter!?

I highly doubt the exam board will omit the whole of murder and have two scenarios both on involuntary manslaughter. That being said you never know soo if thats the case im stuffed.
Reply 19

What I do is for example say, "In so and so committing the act of this, the most likely offence would be that of a s.20 malicious wounding offence whereby the actus reus and mens rea for this offence must be satisfied for conviction". Then I go into applying the law to the detail of the AR and MR. Like "The actus reus for a s.20 OAPA 1861 offence is that of an act or omission which inflicts wounding (Eissenhower) or greivous bodily harm (Smith) upon another, followed by the application and detail of what amounts to a wound etc.

Am I right in that there are multiple non-fatals within the scenario which must be dealt with like for example, a s.20, s.47 and also a common assault followed by a defence all in one para and Q?

Lastly, when setting you're Murder scenario essay out do you explain the AR and MR of murder then apply and say murder would be the conviction without taking into account any defences, then go on to explaining any defences of loss of control or DR below if any occur in the scenario?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending