The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3400
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
It does seem to have more information, that's for sure. And ah, I have no idea either! This is the first I've heard of it. Good luck :smile:

Thanks. :tongue: If and when I finally make the move, I'll be assured to post my account on here, so we can befriend each other. :smile:
Original post by Aiko
Thanks. :tongue: If and when I finally make the move, I'll be assured to post my account on here, so we can befriend each other. :smile:

That'd be awesome :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3402
Summer Season Preview Thread is done~!

Reply 3403
Saw that new berserk "movie". :s-smilie: Its really more of an ova at an hour and 15 mins. When I saw the length I knew it was going to skip lots and be more like a digest of part of the series. Which it was. :s-smilie: I didnt expect that it would cover so much of the golden age arc. With the next one that arc will be pretty much done.:s-smilie: The animation was a bit mixed. For the battles and some other scenes they used this flowing cg.. which was too clean and kind of made it look like a game cutscene.:erm: The rest was nice though. Young Griffith looked more feminine than before.:lolwut: Going by the opening credits they'll be doing these for the rest of the manga too since there were some characters in it who appear much much later. So Generally I liked it.:smile: Needed more epic music though.:hmmm:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3404
Original post by vin
For the battles and some other scenes they used this flowing cg.. which was too clean and kind of made it look like a game cutscene.:erm:

This sort of thing happens far too much in far too many places and it greatly annoys me. There is good CG out there -- I think it's well-integrated in Gundam Unicorn, and Toei seem to have full-CG ED sequences down pat -- but there're a lot of cheap, weightless, too-smooth robots in anime these days. :frown:

Sorry, that didn't have very much to do with Berserk!
Reply 3405
Oh and I saw some of garzey's wing.:mmm: So damn funny.:rofl: Its just so stupid, how did this ever get released. Why did no one stop and realise that the dub was terrible.:laugh:
Original post by vin
Oh and I saw some of garzey's wing.:mmm: So damn funny.:rofl: Its just so stupid, how did this ever get released. Why did no one stop and realise that the dub was terrible.:laugh:

I must somehow make sense of this convoluted situation. :hmmmm2:

I've not watched much anime since the weekend. :eek: My eyes are playing me up - either I have conjunctivitis, need new glasses, am just really tired, or all of the above. :p: I'm keeping up to date with my weekly series, but more than a few eps a day is a bit of a strain. :s:
Reply 3407
Since Aiko has been going on about saki and mah jong I decided to check out the first ep.:hmmm: Characters are ..what I expected.:erm: Was kind of dull and confusing even with the translators notes.:sad: Till that last overdramatic moment.:shock: Dont care for this opening/ending. :pierre: Akagi was much cooler.:hmmm:
Original post by vin
Since Aiko has been going on about saki and mah jong I decided to check out the first ep.:hmmm: Characters are ..what I expected.:erm: Was kind of dull and confusing even with the translators notes.:sad: Till that last overdramatic moment.:shock: Dont care for this opening/ending. :pierre: Akagi was much cooler.:hmmm:

The characters in Shining Bread have more depth. :sadnod:
Reply 3409
Original post by vin

I'm assuming you've tried the first season, not the spinoff that's currently airing? The original series is considerably better. Regardless, it's not something I'd recommend to you, partly because of its genre and the fact that having an understanding of the game, in this case, certainly heightens the amusement.

Original post by AngryJellyfish
The characters in Shining Bread have more depth. :sadnod:

Yes, I think I'm beginning to lose count how many times you've denounced Saki, I'm surprised you're even watching it. While it's hardly groundbreaking, and I certainly would have preferred a continuation of the main manga, not this spinoff, I still enjoy watching it each week, mainly because I like the shounen aspect of the show. While I agree that the characterisation is far from complex, I don't believe it's particularly necessary for an anime like this to remain enjoyable. Besides, it's not as if there has been no development. We've had brief glimpses into a select few characters and their circumstances.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Aiko
Yes, I think I'm beginning to lose count how many times you've denounced Saki, I'm surprised you're even watching it. While it's hardly groundbreaking, and I certainly would have preferred a continuation of the main manga, not this spinoff, I still enjoy watching it each week, mainly because I like the shounen aspect of the show. While I agree that the characterisation is far from complex, I don't believe it's particularly necessary for an anime like this to remain enjoyable. Besides, it's not as if there has been no development. We've had brief glimpses into a select few characters and their circumstances.

Aside from the fact it just isn't as good as Saki, I think the part that's annoying me most is their obsession with throwing as many weird and wonderful characters (or character designs, at least) into an episode as possible, only for them to barely say or do anything as their games against the main cast are shown in the form of 1-2 minute montages, and then disappear again afterwards. I don't know why it annoys me, it just does. :p: Maybe because the main cast's character designs are so plain in comparison? I mean, they don't even have pink or green hair this time around! Even the return of Stealth Momo, Wahaha and Co. just felt like pandering to fans of the original by throwing in old faces.

I'm mostly still watching it because I don't like dropping things, but also because something has to place bottom in my weekly rankings now that Queen's Blade Rebellion is actually getting good. :p:
2 months of anime watched :shock:

:woo:

well that was a pretty random and abrupt ending to kore wa zombie but twas a fun watch, cant believe they only made 10 eps :sad:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by eugenius 8
2 months of anime watched :shock:

:woo:

Congrats. :biggrin:

Original post by eugenius 8
well that was a pretty random and abrupt ending to kore wa zombie but twas a fun watch, cant believe they only made 10 eps :sad:

I read on Mahou showtime! a few weeks ago that it'd only be 10 eps long, but knowing that site's record for getting episode counts and airdates incorrect, I didn't believe it. :zomg:
Reply 3413
Aside from the fact it just isn't as good as Saki, I think the part that's annoying me most is their obsession with throwing as many weird and wonderful characters (or character designs, at least) into an episode as possible, only for them to barely say or do anything as their games against the main cast are shown in the form of 1-2 minute montages, and then disappear again afterwards. I don't know why it annoys me, it just does. :p: Maybe because the main cast's character designs are so plain in comparison? I mean, they don't even have pink or green hair this time around! Even the return of Stealth Momo, Wahaha and Co. just felt like pandering to fans of the original by throwing in old faces.

The "weird and wonderful" characters you're referring to, and the games they played, merely served as a vehicle to demonstrate that our main group are aware of their weaknesses, in light of their performance in the last round, and are willing to rectify this by training. It was not necessary to develop these characters or to spend any time on the games they had with our main group. Consider this the cool down period until the next stage of the Nationals, which will begin next week. I'm particularly looking forward to this one because of Teru, a character that has remained more or less an enigma of sorts until now. It seems to me that you're more concerned about how the characters look like than anything else.
Original post by Aiko
The "weird and wonderful" characters you're referring to, and the games they played, merely served as a vehicle to demonstrate that our main group are aware of their weaknesses, in light of their performance in the last round, and are willing to rectify this by training. It was not necessary to develop these characters or to spend any time on the games they had with our main group. Consider this the cool down period until the next stage of the Nationals, which will begin next week. I'm particularly looking forward to this one because of Teru, a character that has remained more or less an enigma of sorts until now. It seems to me that you're more concerned about how the characters look like than anything else.

I wouldn't be so obsessed with designs if the characters had anything else going for them... which they don't, aside from Yuu's endearing%
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3415
I wouldn't be so obsessed with designs if the characters had anything else going for them... which they don't, aside from Yuu's endearing%

That's just your opinion. All of the main characters, and even a select few from the opposing teams, have been given their own background story (their motivations for playing and the relationships they share with their team members).

Edit: To clarify, I don't consider Saki to be the pinnacle of superior scriptwriting or complex characterisation, far from it, but like the wide majority of the anime I watch, I appreciate what it sets out to offer and accordingly gain enjoyment because of that. As I've mentioned before, this spinoff is definitely not as good as the original Saki, largely because the original cast were a lot more distinctive and interesting, but at least it possesses the same amusing concept of having cute girls play a game typically associated with old men that like gambling, which is hilarious in itself, but furthermore is rather entertaining in how every game is played out, if only because of how unbelievable and dramatic it all is. :giggle:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Aiko
That's just your opinion. All of the main characters, and even a select few from the opposing teams, have been given their own background story (their motivations for playing and the relationships they share with their team members).

The other 90% of my post seems to have been swallowed by TSR/the internet and been replaced with a load of random formatting rubbish. :hmmmm2: But yes, it is my opinion that the characters this time around just aren't as good.

I can't be bothered typing the rest of it out again, not knowing whether it'll post, but in summary I just feel it doesn't compare to the original in any way, shape or form. Half the episodes means faster pacing, means less time spent on both characters and matches, means there isn't much left to make the show worth watching (IN MY OPINION). :p:

[EDIT] Your own edit pretty much sums it up, except I don't find the concept alone to be strong enough or enjoyable enough to carry the show, especially when the series is compared with virtually everything else in this (admittedly better than average) anime season.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3417
[EDIT] Your own edit pretty much sums it up, except I don't find the concept alone to be strong enough or enjoyable enough to carry the show, especially when the series is compared with virtually everything else in this (admittedly better than average) anime season.

It does help if you have an understanding of the game, and certainly if you play it, like I have been recently. But yeah, my only gripe is that I wish they continued with the main manga instead. Every time we get a glimpse of Kiyosumi, I get all excited. As I say, at least Teru will strut her stuff next week. :tongue:
Reply 3418
Just been reading a blog entry regarding Japan's declining animation industry, whereas China's is rapidly expanding. What the latter is currently producing is rather lacklustre in comparison, but the Chinese government are keen to address this in the long term. There's every right to believe that Chinese talent will prosper and ultimately replace Japan as the leading producer of animation in Asia. In regard to Japan's animation industry, the decline is the result of too much pandering to appease sales at the expense of creativity and originality, and the notoriously low pay and long hours staff in this sector have to accept.

Here's the blog entry:

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-10068.html
Reply 3419
Just caught up on last week's Fate. Can't wait for today's; going to miss the airing due to a few errands I have to run.

But still anticipating it all the same.

Latest

Trending

Trending