The Student Room Group

A levels for an architecture degree? MONSTERTHREAD

I want to become an architect when I am older, and need to pick my A-levels, would these be appropriate for getting a place in a Architecture university course?:
Maths
Physics
Geology
Art

I also want to take english, because I really enjoy it :smile:

Also what universities in the UK offer good and well respected Architecture courses? I know Oxbridge do, but because it is exceptionally difficult to get a place there I want to find out others, I have heard York also offers good architect courses.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's actually based on the university that would suit you best... for e.g the UCL Bartlett requires art because its course is very design based, whereas Bath wouldn't because its course is more engineering based, i suggest you go and visit well-known universities to see where you'd be most comfortable to study :wink:
Reply 2
Like FFMA said, it depends on the universities you wish to apply to, because different unis require different A levels for entry on your chosen course. That said however, I think your given choices for architecture are very good :smile: If you want to study English (lit or lang), then I'd suggest perhaps swapping the Geology for it. Either that, or look at the universities you want to attend, and see if they require art. If not, then perhaps swap art for english?
Reply 3
Might want to check your sources.

The University of Cambridge runs an architecture course but the University of Oxford doesn't.

The University of York does not run an accredited architecture program.

According to architects the top ten schools:
1. University College London
2. Architectural Association
3. Cambridge
3. Cardiff
3. Mackintosh
3. Sheffield
4. Bath
4. Manchester
4. Notthingham
4. Oxford Brookes

Don't use any of the papers tables as they are next to useless for architecture.

Here is a full list of accredited UK architect courses:
http://www.architecture.com/Files/RIBAProfessionalServices/Education/Validation/2010/UKSchoolsList.pdf
keep studying what you enjoy. one can weave it all into architecture...
Your A Levels should be fine I did a very similar combination (Geography instead of Geology) and did not find my choice limited me at all when I applied (to Cambridge, Cardiff, Sheffield, UCL and Newcastle) last year :smile:, but as others have said check the unis you are interested in just to make sure.
Reply 6
I'd say do art because an awful lot of schools want art, and then if you think you can get a good grade in them do maths and/or physics, but if you're not sure you can, you'd be better off choosing a subject you can do well in and get a better grade at.
Reply 7
I pretty much did the same subjects as you (just Geography instead of Geology) and I got on ok.

I think most schools will ask for Art and a quite a few like you to have maths. In my first year I ended up doing an engineering maths module.

They do seem to ask for a lot now, am I right in thinking some want A*A*A? Try them all at AS and if it gets too intense then drop one. They say it's better to have 3 top marks than loads of midrange ones. I ignored this, probably foolishly, I loved all the subjects too much :rolleyes:
Hi,
I've already create this thread before, just wanted to post it on different sections to get an array of opinions, would appreciate any advice.
I am completing my GCSE at the moment and moving onto A levels in September.
I want to study architecture at university and was wondering if the A level combination I am currently thinking of is a good combination. I am aiming to study at UCL, The Bartlett.
A levels:
Art < essential
History < to develop writing style and research techniques, handy when studying a history and theory module at degree level.
Geography < to develop environmental awareness (hazards/climates/agriculture/ecosystems/global development etc)
Economics < develop economical awareness

I feel my subject choices will be useful in an architectural environment. I have an interest in architecture which considers the environment as well as society, this is reflected in my subject choices and since maths isn't my strongest subject, I wouldnt feel confident taking it on as an A level whilst art is the main requirement for admission into an architecture degree, I thought that an Economics a level would be a good alternative as it blends mathematics with social concerns and topics.
Are my subject choices good?
Will they allow me to apply to top architecture universities?
Would you recommend any other combination?
also, How hard are my subject choices? (workload etc.)
I would appreciate any help,
Thanks
Graphic design?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
graphic design isnt accepted as an alternative to art, maths also isnt my strongest subject, I wouldnt feel confident taking it on as an a level but the majority of universities ask for art as a requirement only. :s-smilie:
Original post by RadwanBakkali
Hi,
I've already create this thread before, just wanted to post it on different sections to get an array of opinions, would appreciate any advice.
I am completing my GCSE at the moment and moving onto A levels in September.
I want to study architecture at university and was wondering if the A level combination I am currently thinking of is a good combination. I am aiming to study at UCL, The Bartlett.
A levels:
Art < essential
History < to develop writing style and research techniques, handy when studying a history and theory module at degree level.
Geography < to develop environmental awareness (hazards/climates/agriculture/ecosystems/global development etc)
Economics < develop economical awareness

I feel my subject choices will be useful in an architectural environment. I have an interest in architecture which considers the environment as well as society, this is reflected in my subject choices and since maths isn't my strongest subject, I wouldnt feel confident taking it on as an A level whilst art is the main requirement for admission into an architecture degree, I thought that an Economics a level would be a good alternative as it blends mathematics with social concerns and topics.
Are my subject choices good?
Will they allow me to apply to top architecture universities?
Would you recommend any other combination?
also, How hard are my subject choices? (workload etc.)
I would appreciate any help,
Thanks

Hello, I am currently in my second year of Architecture. I took Product Design, IT, Business Studies and Computing at A level.

UCL is at the top of the leader board for architecture at the moment I do believe. If you are planning on applying there, I would strongly recommend taking Maths and Art. I didn't take Art at A-level, but I wish I did as it would have been useful.

I do not think History, Geography or Economics will benefit you massively. If you are a more technical person than arty person, I would recommend a design based subject, like Product Design. It will look very good for your portfolio to get some design based experience. Another great subject for the technical approach is physics.

I would also strongly advice you to go to an open day at UCL. Architecture is taught very differently at different institutions. Some universities are more suited to students from an art background, i.e. conceptual work. Some are more suited to technical minded people, i.e. more design based work, and building science.
Reply 12
Do you need an art based subject to do architecture? I'm doing Maths further Maths physics and chemistry and was just wondering.
Original post by Miryo
Do you need an art based subject to do architecture? I'm doing Maths further Maths physics and chemistry and was just wondering.

some schools want it, some don't. mine didn't
Reply 14
Original post by harreeeee
Hello, I am currently in my second year of Architecture. I took Product Design, IT, Business Studies and Computing at A level.

UCL is at the top of the leader board for architecture at the moment I do believe. If you are planning on applying there, I would strongly recommend taking Maths and Art. I didn't take Art at A-level, but I wish I did as it would have been useful.

I do not think History, Geography or Economics will benefit you massively. If you are a more technical person than arty person, I would recommend a design based subject, like Product Design. It will look very good for your portfolio to get some design based experience. Another great subject for the technical approach is physics.

I would also strongly advice you to go to an open day at UCL. Architecture is taught very differently at different institutions. Some universities are more suited to students from an art background, i.e. conceptual work. Some are more suited to technical minded people, i.e. more design based work, and building science.

What uni are you at studying architecture ?
Reply 15
Original post by harreeeee
some schools want it, some don't. mine didn't

Do you have to be an artistic person?
Original post by trinutt9
What uni are you at studying architecture ?

UWE Bristol
Reply 17
Art is a must.

After that it really just depends on your interests and which universities you are thinking of applying to. I am at Bath (known for its slant towards engineering) and they let people in without Physics or Maths. Granted, some of them may have found the odd module a little harder in first year, but after that we barely touch any Physics or Maths related modules.

I took Art, Physics and Maths and really regret not taking a more analytical subject, as I struggle with a lot of the History and Theory essays.

Research the universities you are interested in, see what subjects they require/prefer. Take what you are interested in. And if you are worried about workload at A-Level, you might want to reseach an Architecture Degree a little more...
Reply 18
I took Art&Design in GCSE and got an A* but for A level these are the subjects I'm doing.
Math
Chemistry
Biology
English Literature.
Will I be able to do Architecture at for example University of Edinburgh or actually I'm thinking of applying for American universities like UPENN?
Original post by lynnny8
I took Art&Design in GCSE and got an A* but for A level these are the subjects I'm doing.
Math
Chemistry
Biology
English Literature.
Will I be able to do Architecture at for example University of Edinburgh or actually I'm thinking of applying for American universities like UPENN?

I got a B at GCSE Art and ACCb at A level (Product Design, Maths, Physics, GS) and got into my architecture course. Art is by any means compulsory for architecture. Your subjects are quite academic based so they may want to see a portfolio prior to interview of any of your own design work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending