The Student Room Group

Taiwanese-Chinese Question

If you’re from Taiwan. Would you call yourselves Taiwanese? Just wondering because I got a few Chinese students in my class and I think they’re a bit die hard. If I call someone Taiwanese, cause they’re from Taiwan. They just blurt in, “Chinese, they’re Chinese”. They’re from Taiwan, “Still Chinese!”.

I’m I the only one who thinks Chinese kids are a bit brain washed? The ones in my class keep talking about how the Dali Lama is a dick, how Taiwan is cause problems, Philippians is causing problems. The US is financing spies and dissidents in China.

Scroll to see replies

Politics. They didnt grow up in the same country you did- i doubt they in china, had access to half the independant reporting and media you do. So they will have their own indoctrinated opinion on who owns taiwan (and the taiwanese).

they are probably correct about the last part, though, in the same way that chinese spies and hackers are constantly keeping an eye on what the US are doing.
Reply 2
Taiwan people will (for most of the time) say they are Taiwanese. Its the same with Hong Kong people say they are from Hong Kong. What happened was a tiny bit like north and south korea.

Towards the end of the Chinese civil war, the communists controlled the mainland and the Nationalists retreated to the island of Taiwan. Genetically speaking, they are no different to mainland Chinese and indeed in Taiwan the main language is Mandarin and pretty much their whole culture is Chinese
Original post by Nalced
If you’re from Taiwan. Would you call yourselves Taiwanese? Just wondering because I got a few Chinese students in my class and I think they’re a bit die hard. If I call someone Taiwanese, cause they’re from Taiwan. They just blurt in, “Chinese, they’re Chinese”. They’re from Taiwan, “Still Chinese!”.

I’m I the only one who thinks Chinese kids are a bit brain washed? The ones in my class keep talking about how the Dali Lama is a dick, how Taiwan is cause problems, Philippians is causing problems. The US is financing spies and dissidents in China.

Yea we tend to say we're from either HK,Taiwan or Chinese although we look the same our opinions and personality is different
Our passports all have the "Republic of China R.O.C" label's on it. So yes, we are. But people here in Taiwan will call themselves Taiwanese as we like to distance ourselves from our brothers and sisters in China.
Reply 5
Original post by JonathanNorth
Our passports all have the "Republic of China R.O.C" label's on it. So yes, we are. But people here in Taiwan will call themselves Taiwanese as we like to distance ourselves from our brothers and sisters in China.

What do most people in Taiwan think about the ROC's claim to mainland China? Do they agree that ROC is the rightful government of mainland China, or are they happy to accept that Taiwan is a separate, independent country?
Reply 6
I personally feel anti Chinese, all the Taiwanese and HK people I've met over the years have been nice, cool, open and funny. Where the Chinese seem more brainwashed, less creative and all they can talk about is how China owns HK, Taiwan, Tibet. As well how they make new military weapons stuff that can rival the US.

The thing that scares me most. The impression they give. If China and the West went to war, people in the West would be like, "Do we have to? I like my bed. Halo4 is coming out soon" But people in China would be like, "YES! YES! WAR! WAR! KILL THEM!"
Original post by Psyk
What do most people in Taiwan think about the ROC's claim to mainland China? Do they agree that ROC is the rightful government of mainland China, or are they happy to accept that Taiwan is a separate, independent country?

I was talking about this today with my co-workers, even the senior software developer.

Out of the conversation, I concluded that everyone thought of it as just "history". The claims are just part of history and unrealistic. From what I gathered, most of us support declaring independence and becoming the Republic of Taiwan. (ROT)

We would never want to become part of the PRC that would never happen without some sort of uproar.

But yes, we already believe Taiwan is an independent country. (Or most Taiwanese I've come across do; even if not officially)

However, if we were to ever declare independence China (PRC) would go ballistic and probably block all trade with us and impose heavy sanctions on Taiwanese companies who operate in China. So, it isn't going to happen unless China becomes democratic.

But really, Taiwanese people are happy with being Taiwanese. We don't want to be Chinese or part of the PRC. We want to be a separate country and we kind of are. - In the sense we have our own government, identity and way of life.

Plus, we write in traditional as opposed to simplified Chinese. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Nalced
I personally feel anti Chinese, all the Taiwanese and HK people I've met over the years have been nice, cool, open and funny. Where the Chinese seem more brainwashed, less creative and all they can talk about is how China owns HK, Taiwan, Tibet. As well how they make new military weapons stuff that can rival the US.

The thing that scares me most. The impression they give. If China and the West went to war, people in the West would be like, "Do we have to? I like my bed. Halo4 is coming out soon" But people in China would be like, "YES! YES! WAR! WAR! KILL THEM!"

You know Taiwanese and HK people are still ethnically Chinese?

I'm of Chinese descent and I couldn't care less about HK, Taiwan, Tibet or military weapons. Your generalisations do nothing but promote prejudice and stereotypes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
I'm from Taiwan, and I call myself Taiwanese. It annoys me when filling out forms and stuff that Chinese is an option and Taiwanese isn't, so I tick Other and write Taiwanese!

@Psyk, I believe that Taiwan is an independent country.

I don't think I'd get on well with these people in your class Nalced, but you're definitely overgeneralising. The Chinese people I know are not like that at all, in fact, they don't really give a monkeys about our political situations.
Reply 10
TBH I don't really think it has anything to do with brainwashing.

I grew up in Hong Kong and I still think that "Dali Lama is a dick, how Taiwan is cause problems, Philippians is causing problems. The US is financing spies and dissidents in China."

I think it's merely different point of view. You can't expect everyone in the world to think as you do, can you? One can also argue that westerners have been "brain washed" with all those anti-china sentiments.

However it is completely pointless as as soon as you use "brain washed" to define someone's idea then you have already presumed that you are superior to others. And it hinders an equal debate from ever happening(or something like that).
I thought people grew up in those "democratic states" should know better?

Next time when you are discussing matters with other people, try to think of them as educated beings(and I believe most of them really are), you may discover some surprising things.
Just remember, education itself is a sort of "brainwashing"(if you believe there's brainwashing in the world). Receiving education in different countries just means receiving different kinds of "brainwashing". Your Chinese classmates are no more "brainwashed" than you are.

Btw, you really should read the book written by an ex-CIA director. He wrote lots of stuff CIA did in Tibet back in the 50s. How they helped the monks(slavers) simply because the monks were at odds with the Chinese government and how they picked up young Tibet children and trained they as spy etc.
Original post by suncake
I'm from Taiwan, and I call myself Taiwanese. It annoys me when filling out forms and stuff that Chinese is an option and Taiwanese isn't, so I tick Other and write Taiwanese!

@Psyk, I believe that Taiwan is an independent country.

I don't think I'd get on well with these people in your class Nalced, but you're definitely overgeneralising. The Chinese people I know are not like that at all, in fact, they don't really give a monkeys about our political situations.

That's such a stupid thing to say. On most forms they are asking you about your ethnicity and your ethnicity would be Chinese (Han Chinese to be exact). There is no race called Taiwanese, it's a nationality. Therefore, you should tick Chinese on the form because if you're from Taiwan, you are an ethnic Chinese. And Taiwanese people cannot dent the fact they're Chinese by blood.
Reply 12
Original post by Nalced

I come from Mainland China. I think it does not matter whether The people in Taiwan want to get dependent off China, only if we love each other as we share the same blood.
Original post by storeypj
Taiwan people will (for most of the time) say they are Taiwanese. Its the same with Hong Kong people say they are from Hong Kong. What happened was a tiny bit like north and south korea.

Towards the end of the Chinese civil war, the communists controlled the mainland and the Nationalists retreated to the island of Taiwan. Genetically speaking, they are no different to mainland Chinese and indeed in Taiwan the main language is Mandarin and pretty much their whole culture is Chinese

Really....? Do you mean in this country? :lolwut:
Reply 14
I personally don't call them Taiwanese. Though their personality may be different, people from Taiwan are still Chinese.
Reply 15
My parents were born in Taiwan and my grandparents were born in China but I say I'm British.

You mad?
Reply 16
Original post by Nalced

I'm not surprised you had this reaction. I've had a very similar reaction when discussing Tibet with Chinese students at University.

Unfortunately Chinese citizens do not have the same access to free information, or will have ever free political debate in their childhood. It's a shame for them as in my view this upbringing leads them to be very emotionally and ideologically stunted compared to their Western counterparts.
Reply 17
Original post by Carter78
I'm not surprised you had this reaction. I've had a very similar reaction when discussing Tibet with Chinese students at University.

Unfortunately Chinese citizens do not have the same access to free information, or will have ever free political debate in their childhood. It's a shame for them as in my view this upbringing leads them to be very emotionally and ideologically stunted compared to their Western counterparts.

I have to say, don't think that Chinese students are blocked from the outside world. They have some softwares which help them to get access to some blocked websites. What's more, in universities, students can read The Econmist, Financial Times, Time magazines. In some top unis, they can buy them as well. The government provides this information to university students, but they are sometimes too scared to talk about some opinions.
Reply 18
Original post by Whiskey
I have to say, don't think that Chinese students are blocked from the outside world. They have some softwares which help them to get access to some blocked websites. What's more, in universities, students can read The Econmist, Financial Times, Time magazines. In some top unis, they can buy them as well. The government provides this information to university students, but they are sometimes too scared to talk about some opinions.

Would completely agree with your comment, I know I was making a sweeping generalisation. However I would be happy to make the bold claim that even if they have access to information (although the Government does routinely block internet searches so I am a little skeptical as to the extent of the freedom of information you say they have) the chance for open debate is obviously reduced.
Reply 19
Original post by Carter78
Would completely agree with your comment, I know I was making a sweeping generalisation. However I would be happy to make the bold claim that even if they have access to information (although the Government does routinely block internet searches so I am a little skeptical as to the extent of the freedom of information you say they have) the chance for open debate is obviously reduced.

Haha, a very good comment. There is no "open debate", but they will use some alternative ways to express their thoughts. For examples, they will use pictures and some words with symbols(everyone knows what they mean) to express their thoughts, so the gov. cannot screen what they have writen. Survival of the fittest.....

I just share my views instead of correcting ur points, take it easy:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending