The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ras90
You clearly have no understanding of how businesses work.

Enlighten me.. As a business, you would rather refuse the £4.80 (for it being 20p short) than take the £4.80 for the seat?

Source: BA International Business Management
Reply 181
Original post by SubAtomic
Do you find Stephen Hawking ugly? Well by your logic we wouldn't be advancing much in Science and other fields would we! So we kill people because of how they look? Yet another troll account on TSR:rolleyes:.

Rape is a power thing for some people so, well, if you cannot work it out, well, I cannot be bothered explaining it to you.

Agree with almost everything you say, except about rape being a power thing for some people. All rapists rape for power, in one way or another.

As to the poster who said only ugly people rape. That's not true at all. So many of the rape survivors I've spoken to talked about how their rapist was a good looking man. It seems to be people who have no experience of rape believe only ugly people rape. It's another myth that damages survivors. :frown:
Original post by Theturnbull9
Enlighten me.. As a business, you would rather refuse the £4.80 (for it being 20p short) than take the £4.80 for the seat?

The bus driver is a low level employee of the bus company. The company could tell him that he is allowed to use his discretion, but this basically deregulates him and opens the bus up to anyone the bus driver feels like letting on. The alternative is just to tell him not to let anyone on who doesn't have the fare, and the loss of £4.80 is entirely worth maintaining regulation over the drivers for.

And seriously, if your university taught you that the business world is that simple, you should take your degree back.
Stories like this make me very angry. While it's the rapist's fault for attacking her, the bus driver could have just let the woman go to a cash point like she asked to get the extra bus fare, or to save even more time, one of the passengers could have shown a bit of compassion and coughed up a measly 20p. 20p is nothing. The bus was already running late because the driver would have had to speak to the woman and deny her boarding, so why couldn't he have just let her on?

I understand that bus drivers get in trouble for not taking the correct fare, but 20p is such a small amount it shouldn't have been a problem. If it were me driving that bus I'd have just paid it for her, because walking alone at night can be dangerous, and look what happened.
(edited 11 years ago)

It's not like the bus driver is gonna make any more money if he lets her on with a lower fare

the driver's making the decision, not the cfo. There's often an inspector hanging around the boarding point on night busses afaik. Be understandable if the driver didn't want to pick up a minor disciplinary with the job market as tough as it is.

Who knows, maybe she'd have tried harder to cadge 20p if she didn't expect to be able to get her mum to come and pick her up.
Reply 186
While I agree that in this case it would be quite heartless to not let the girl on the bus, I do think it's still a difficult situation for a bus driver because of how you can possibly draw the line. Would he be obliged to let her on if she had no money at all? Would this situation form a precedent where other people could also get on for cheaper? It makes it all very messy, so I'm sure that's why they stick to the rules.

It's like those hostage cases where the government is asked to pay some sum to prevent a beheading. You could argue that £100,000 is nothing in order to save a life, so why not negotiate with the captors? But the reality is more complicated than that because actions turn into principles and set precedents for the future.

The truth in this case is no one knew that the girl would get raped. If you asked the driver if he would have let her on in hindsight I doubt he would have said no.

On a separate point, I wish she had just called a taxi.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hajinator
Only ugly ****ers like him have to rape women. We should get rid of all ugly people in the world to stop rape.

:lolwut:

You have to be either a very bad troll or a moron.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Stories like this make me very angry. While it's the rapist's fault for attacking her, the bus driver could have just let the woman go to a cash point like she asked to get the extra bus fare, or to save even more time, one of the passengers could have shown a bit of compassion and coughed up a measly 20p. 20p is nothing. The bus was already running late because the driver would have had to speak to the woman and deny her boarding, so why couldn't he have just let her on?

I understand that bus drivers get in trouble for not taking the correct fare, but 20p is such a small amount it shouldn't have been a problem. If it were me driving that bus I'd have just paid it for her, because walking alone at night can be dangerous, and look what happened.

But if you go down that route, then you might as well just say, the woman could just have brought enough money. Which is silly reasoning.
Original post by Craig_D
But threats are of varying sizes and intentions, and sexual assault isn't the only kind to be feared. Walking home at 3am you could run into 10 lads who are intent on beating the crap out of you, and you'd be in as much danger as the girl of the article. If measures are going to be taken to prevent this kind of thing happening again they have to protect everyone if they're to have any credibility.

Now you're just being pedantic and ridiculous.
This is absolutely disgusting. I can't understand how someone could have had such a horrible and uneducated life that they feel this is ok.

And of course it's not her fault. She begged the bus driver to wait while she went to the cash point, so she did have money, just not physically. No one has money with them ALL of the time, and she might not have realised she was that 20p short until she re-counted her change.

Of course, blaming the passengers and the driver is not fair and will only make them kick themselves more for letting it happen. If bus drivers were to allow anyone onto the bus even without paying the full fare they would be inadvertently lowering the prices. It is that price for a reason, and the bus driver has to stick to it or everyone will be asking to get on when 20p short. For all we know he might get loads of students doing the same thing and have been told not to accept them at all costs.

Obviously it was unfair of the passengers but we can only hope people will learn from this and not blame anyone but the rapist.
[OFF-TOPIC]

*reads OP*

*Looks at mugshot*

My reaction:

[ON-TOPIC]

I feel so sorry for her! Its totally the rapists fault..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 192

I should do that next time I go to the cinema. Right at the end when the film is starting and there are spare seats, I should offer £2 for the seat. Surely it's better than nothing? :biggrin:
Original post by kopite493
stupid selfish southern bastards
this would never happen in the north

Because rapes never happen in the north, right?
Original post by Fusion
This is a case of hindsight being a wonderful thing.

Also that doesn't bode well.

p.s. £5 for a bus fare wtf?!!

It was a 14 mile journey after all...
what colour was the victim? sounds like a black on white race hate crime......
Original post by Chief Wiggum
But if you go down that route, then you might as well just say, the woman could just have brought enough money. Which is silly reasoning.

I'm sure it's quite common for people to mistake the cost of bus fare, it happens all the time, and the woman did ask the bus driver if she could go to the cash point and he refused, which is unreasonable. If it were a day bus where they come more regularly I could understand because the driver has to stick to rigid timetables, but a 5 minute wait on a night bus won't make that much difference to everyone involved.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
I'm sure it's quite common for people to mistake the cost of bus fare, it happens all the time, and the woman did ask the bus driver if she could go to the cash point and he refused, which is unreasonable. If it were a day bus where they come more regularly I could understand because the driver has to stick to rigid timetables, but a 5 minute wait on a night bus won't make that much difference to everyone involved.

Yes but surely if you're saying that the bus driver should have let her on the bus because "walking alone at night is dangerous", you are also, by implication, saying that women who choose to walk alone at night then get raped are contributing to their being raped?
Reply 198
Original post by pokemontah!
what colour was the victim? sounds like a black on white race hate crime......

No it doesn't. :s-smilie: It sounds like a man on woman sex hate crime.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Yes but surely if you're saying that the bus driver should have let her on the bus because "walking alone at night is dangerous", you are also, by implication, saying that women who choose to walk alone at night then get raped are contributing to their being raped?

Um, not at all. Most people are aware that you're increasing your risk of being attacked if you walk alone at night where it is unlit, it's fairly obvious that it would make it more easy for the attacker to get away with it.

It is never the woman's fault for being attacked, but some women do make poor choices when it comes to deciding a route to get home. This does not mean the woman is to blame just because she's in the wrong place at the wrong time. This woman was not one of those people, she tried her best and was forced to walk home alone.