science:B
English:B
Maths:C
History:B
Spainish:C
I.C.T:biggrin:
R.E:B
P.E:B
so my grades are fairly average and in alevel i want to aim for all B's with the following subjects; History,Business studies,chemistry,physics.I was just wondering if these would be okay for applying to the royal navy as an officer and also wondered what else would be usefull i have a rya in sailing and my dofe. thank you and any idea on ideal a levels for a navy officer would be useful.Thanks
Reply 1
There aren't any ideal a levels just ones you enjoy and would benefit in civi life.

Do a degree.

Search the forum.
What sort of Navy Officer do you want to be?
Reply 3
Warfare i think and i was thinking of doing a business based degree would that be okay?
Reply 4
My information comes from the RAF and Army side of it, but I am 90% sure it is the same for the Navy. To join as ANY officer you need a minimum of 2 A levels grades A-C and 180 UCAS points. In reality, you need at least CCC in A Level, although higher will be better.

If you have a degree, once you pass basic officer training, you will gain extra seniority and pay to account for your university degree. In the RN, without a degree you will start as a Midshipman on an annual salary of £24,615, but with a degree you start as a Sub Lieutenant on £29, 587.

Unless you want to apply for a specific role, such as medical, which requires a specific degree, then any degree will do. Ultimately, I would suggest picking your A Level's and degree based on what you find most interesting, but with half a mind on keeping them as a back up career if you change your mind or cannot join due to unforeseen circumstances.

Hope that helps

Sam
Reply 5
Thanks i just thought being a warfare officer would be fairly maths based but dont want to take that for a level :-/ You know a lot about it thanks, So any degree or A levels as long as i get 3 C's :-)How competitive is the warfare branch do you know?
You have read this haven't you?

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/Careers/Explore-Opportunities/Job-Finder/Roles/WarfareOfficer

Given that you are between 2 and 5 years off applying to the RN there is no way to say how competitive it will be. Just work hard, get the best results you can and get involved in more stuff like DofE and sports.
Reply 7
Original post by Craig456
Thanks i just thought being a warfare officer would be fairly maths based but dont want to take that for a level :-/ You know a lot about it thanks, So any degree or A levels as long as i get 3 C's :-)How competitive is the warfare branch do you know?

Never ever aim for the minimum. It's the surest way to guarantee you won't get in. Do the absolute best you can, otherwise what's the point?
Reply 8
My recruitment adviser told me that they always hire 10% more than they need to initially to fill the spaces as thats the dropout rate during the selection process, not through beating each other per se, but from failing fitness tests, selection tests etc etc. If you do the bare minimum you might just about get through, but it will be picked up on in your interview, and you would have to sell yourself hard. Where it would really bite you in the backside however is during basic training, as the instructors do not take kindly to slackers or "grey men" who get the work done and keep their heads down with nothing extra to contribute. After that promotion will be especially hard, as it gets very competitive very quickly.

My advice is not to worry about getting the minimum, but in 110% into everything. If you feel like you have your A levels sorted (lets be honest their the most important thing) then apply for extra stuff, join the local cadets, do DofE, out of school activities etc etc.

Try as hard as you can, but be true to yourself and don't overburden yourself.
Reply 9
Original post by Sam_Roach
My recruitment adviser told me that they always hire 10% more than they need to initially to fill the spaces as thats the dropout rate during the selection process, not through beating each other per se, but from failing fitness tests, selection tests etc etc. If you do the bare minimum you might just about get through, but it will be picked up on in your interview, and you would have to sell yourself hard. Where it would really bite you in the backside however is during basic training, as the instructors do not take kindly to slackers or "grey men" who get the work done and keep their heads down with nothing extra to contribute. After that promotion will be especially hard, as it gets very competitive very quickly.

My advice is not to worry about getting the minimum, but in 110% into everything. If you feel like you have your A levels sorted (lets be honest their the most important thing) then apply for extra stuff, join the local cadets, do DofE, out of school activities etc etc.

Try as hard as you can, but be true to yourself and don't overburden yourself.

Says who?
I'd personally disagree. Showing aptitude and leadership potential is a far more important attribute for an Officer Candidate. Being a well rounded individual will be more beneficial to the Armed Forces than solely a bookworm.
Reply 10
My information comes from the RAF and Army side of it, but I am 90% sure it is the same for the Navy. To join as ANY officer you need a minimum of 2 A levels grades A-C and 180 UCAS points. In reality, you need at least CCC in A Level, although higher will be better.

If you have a degree, once you pass basic officer training, you will gain extra seniority and pay to account for your university degree. In the RN, without a degree you will start as a Midshipman on an annual salary of £24,615, but with a degree you start as a Sub Lieutenant on £29, 587.

Unless you want to apply for a specific role, such as medical, which requires a specific degree, then any degree will do. Ultimately, I would suggest picking your A Level's and degree based on what you find most interesting, but with half a mind on keeping them as a back up career if you change your mind or cannot join due to unforeseen circumstances.

Hope that helps

Sam

In regards to the section in bold, from 1 April 2013, Officers starting at BRNC will have an annual salary of £24,615 no matter if they have been to Uni or not.
Reply 11
I think I didn't explain my point very well there, apologies.

I agree with you entirely, a pure bookworm is not the best candidate in compassion to the well rounded individual.

However the well rounded individual still needs those minimum grades, and those A levels will still very much affect later life choices such as university and possible alternative jobs.

So I would say a priority needs to be made to get your A levels sorted first, then worry about the extras which you can impress the recruitment officers with.
For the well rounded individual its a moot point really if you get AAB or ABB, as you've proven you've got the "stuff".
But if you bog yourself down with being the rugby clubs captain, working towards your 12th badge at scouts and learning the trombone, instead of revising for your A levels, its a lot harder to explain why you failed your A level, because you've missed a core minimum requirement.
Reply 12
Original post by Harpoon
In regards to the section in bold, from 1 April 2013, Officers starting at BRNC will have an annual salary of £24,615 no matter if they have been to Uni or not.

Interesting to hear, is that solely for the RN, or is that tri service as well? Do you have a source where I can read up on it?
Reply 13
Interesting to hear, is that solely for the RN, or is that tri service as well? Do you have a source where I can read up on it?

Tri-Service: It's from here: http://www.ome.uk.com/AFPRB_Reports.aspx
2011/2012 - Chapter 3

I've also attached the relevant document.
Reply 14
Original post by Harpoon
Tri-Service: It's from here: http://www.ome.uk.com/AFPRB_Reports.aspx
2011/2012 - Chapter 3

I've also attached the relevant document.

Thanks for that, raises a bunch of questions on my part, but this isn't the place for me to derail the original question.

@OP

Scratch what I said then, by the time you join you will earn exactly the same to begin with or without a degree. Although of course, in the next two years, the armed forces might not have any ships left and will be paid in chocolate coins....

Quick Reply

Latest