The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Original post by Anthony Ani
Just had to ask this. Who thinks they are on track in some topics in terms of learning and seriously lacking in others (I mean lacking majorly)? :s-smilie:

I have like bouts of confidence, then I see a difficuilt question then think I'm seriously lacking :s-smilie:
I am extremely panicked. The exam clashes with DT so I am on seclusion. And to make things worse I have a maths exam the day after. Feel like my head is about to explode....
Reply 882
I understand the majority of the background knowledge behind my three topics, I just cannot seem to remember all these facts and figures for the case studies.

Anyone feeling the same? :s-smilie:
Original post by Heyimdec
I understand the majority of the background knowledge behind my three topics, I just cannot seem to remember all these facts and figures for the case studies.

Exactly :wink:
Is anyone doing the Kobe earthquake? Just wondering, was there anything that the government did really wrong, like were they prepared enough? or was the widespread damage more to do with the nature of the earthquake and the physical factors like the local soil conditions, liquefaction etc.?
i can only seem to find 3 past papers for Geog3 =/ has anyone got the jan 10 and 2009 ones?
Reply 886

Yeah exactly the same feeling. Just gotta cram in the morning (I have econ Tuesday :frown: )

Original post by emelizabeth
Is anyone doing the Kobe earthquake? Just wondering, was there anything that the government did really wrong, like were they prepared enough? or was the widespread damage more to do with the nature of the earthquake and the physical factors like the local soil conditions, liquefaction etc.?

Was more to do with the nature of the event, I think in 1990 they passed an act to improve buildings to be 'quake proof' - most of these stood up, then the majority which were not did not (103500 destroyed).

Anyone else realise how morbid plate tectonics is? :tongue: So many stastics on death and injuries, so depressing..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 887
Predictions

Tectonics Essay: Seismic events' (Probably earthquake) impacts/ effects depending on physical factors

Weather Short questions: Something to do monsoon :smile:
Was more to do with the nature of the event, I think in 1990 they passed an act to improve buildings to be 'quake proof' - most of these stood up, then the majority which were not did not (103500 destroyed).

Anyone else realise how morbid plate tectonics is? :tongue: So many stastics on death and injuries, so depressing..

Haha yeah I know!
Thanks, yeah you're right - most of the old wooden houses with clay roofs collapsed (60%) and buildings constructed in the massive rebuilding period after World War II (before the 1981 update of seismic safety standards in the Building Standards Law.) :smile:
Original post by sensei_mooni
i can only seem to find 3 past papers for Geog3 =/ has anyone got the jan 10 and 2009 ones?

there wasn't one in 2009 but there was a june 2010 one - it's on the aqa website i think. :smile:
Reply 890
Original post by emelizabeth

there wasn't one in 2009 but there was a june 2010 one - it's on the aqa website i think. :smile:

I have Jun 2010, Jan 2011, Jun 2011 and Jan 2010 so far. just google for the Jan 2012 one :smile:
Original post by Sagga
I have Jun 2010, Jan 2011, Jun 2011 and Jan 2010 so far. just google for the Jan 2012 one :smile:

hey can you link me the Jan 2010 paper, can't find it on the aqa website =/
My Eyjafjallajokull case study could really use some reinforcement, especially with regards to management - anyone know of some good articles/websites/resources? Other than shutting down airports and evacuating locals, what else did they do to manage it?
Reply 893
Original post by lukas1051
There is a lot of evidence for plate tectonic theory, more than is written in the textbook, I think quality is more important than quantity though, so pick a few and maybe read a bit deeper into them. I think paleomagnetism really nailed it though, previous evidence seemed to suggest that the continents were once together and in different places, but paleomagnetism provided the mechanism as to how this happened. The Atlantic is undeniably expanding, and if this is happening then there must be destruction elsewhere, and the whole theory fits together very nicely. Case studies of events are quite difficult to fit in, and won't be expected in detail because it's irrelevant, but look at the physical characteristics of your event. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, in the 2011 Japanese earthquake there were huge amounts of crustal displacement as a result of the earthquake because it occurred on a destructive boundary.

I did this question for homework ages ago, you can have a look at my answer. Admittedly I think it could be much better, I don't think it's well written enough and I don't think I've been synoptic enough (this topic doesn't lend itself to synopticity very well which I think the examiner would understand, but I think I could have still mentioned some more places), but it was the first practice essay I did.

Thanks for the plan:smile:
Reply 894
Anyone got any notes on a property led regeneration case study for world cities? I seem to have misplaced mine haha

Anyone else struggling with tectonics? Can't get my head around it at all :frown:
Original post by Sagga

i didn't know there was a january 2010?
Reply 896

I feel your pain.. esp in world cities when discussing unemployment figures, global warming estimations, so many %'s but unfortunately without them to back up your answer your reply to a question comes across a little wishy washy. I feel like i know enough to get a decent grade (B) if they ask nice questions and don't word the 40 marker awfully.
Reply 897
The 40 marker question is stressing me out a bit,anyone got any tips for writing a good answer for weather or tectonics (i think they are the ones i will probably end up answering)
Reply 898
Original post by lukas1051
My Eyjafjallajokull case study could really use some reinforcement, especially with regards to management - anyone know of some good articles/websites/resources? Other than shutting down airports and evacuating locals, what else did they do to manage it?

http://www.science20.com/planetbye/volcanic_eruptions_science_and_risk_management-79456

I think detailing about different systems used to detect ash clouds,and their span might help but I'm struggling to think of anything else the authorities did-that link might help though.
Reply 899
Original post by alicex3
Anyone got any notes on a property led regeneration case study for world cities? I seem to have misplaced mine haha

Anyone else struggling with tectonics? Can't get my head around it at all :frown:

London Docklands 1981-1998

Background information
-Decline due to decline in portside industries
-Docklands was derelict by 1950's
-Regenerated 8 1/2 square miles
-Has become a slight attraction

-Began in 1980's in a effort to reverse inner city decline
-Organisations got planning permission from local authorities
-Government money was used 4 billion of public money spent 12 bn private
-Refurbished 35,000 housing units and created 19,000 jobs

Social benifits
-10 million pounds spent on improving council housing
-Docklands sailing and water sports centre

Economic
More shop keepers in the area
190,000 new jobs

Criticisms
-People argues not enough jobs were created
-Lost huge sums of money for buying land that later fell in value (trigger happy)
-Democratic accountability was removed and people felt their feelings were -being ignored
-Locals felt physically secluded
-Intimidated by high rise buildings and bankers in the streets
-Lack of jobs that needed locals skills so unemplyment
-Anti LDDC vandalism

Right thats my revision for the night! Going out :wink: YOLO

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending