The Student Room Group

SCLY3 Beliefs in Society June 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by alexsasg
Those are the sort of questions I don't like. Do you mean the crime & deviance paper? I'm dreading both :frown: although I enjoy C&D far more. The 33 marker could potentially be very tricky though.

Not sure how I would go about doing that one myself... I'd certainly avoid it.
Yeah, the C&D. The crime questions are okay, as is the methods in context, but it's the 33 marker I really dread. If action theories come up, I shall just give up, the one section I hate, and yet it could well appear...
Reply 61
Original post by C3S
Not sure how I would go about doing that one myself... I'd certainly avoid it.
Yeah, the C&D. The crime questions are okay, as is the methods in context, but it's the 33 marker I really dread. If action theories come up, I shall just give up, the one section I hate, and yet it could well appear...

:| dear God, I hope Action theories don't come up....the 33 marker is definitely the one to beware of, hopefully the examiners have been nice this year and given us a good paper.
Reply 62
:| dear God, I hope Action theories don't come up....the 33 marker is definitely the one to beware of, hopefully the examiners have been nice this year and given us a good paper.

My hope is that paper 1 turns out fine, so I can afford to get lower in the C&D... Religion shouldn't go too badly, hope it's as good as last time anyway.

For C&D, I suppose UMS would help if everyone found the 33 marker horrendous, so that's a slight positive :L
Reply 63
Original post by C3S
My hope is that paper 1 turns out fine, so I can afford to get lower in the C&D... Religion shouldn't go too badly, hope it's as good as last time anyway.

For C&D, I suppose UMS would help if everyone found the 33 marker horrendous, so that's a slight positive :L

That's what I'm hoping - if religion is fine, then dropping a little in C&D won't be the end of the world. I need to get an A* in Sociology though, so I can only afford to drop 20 marks overall :| it's a worrying thought. And is it just me, or was the June 2011 paper amazing?! I would've loved that paper :frown: I'm really beginning to think that after a good June 2011 and Jan 2012 paper, our paper is going to be awfully hard...

Haha, I must admit that the thought of that comforts me somewhat.
Reply 64
Original post by Naf*
Finally after ages of searching ie found this thread... I've revised functionalism, Marxism, feminism, church, sect, denominations and cults, NRMs and nearly finished NAS... Need to do the globalisation thingy, secularisation, religious fundamentalism and ... The ideology religion and science stuff but il have to do all that on Monday coz I have psychology to revise for... I was wondering if anybody has any predictions on what might be comin up as it would make my revision much much easier !

sorry, what's NAS? :confused:
Reply 65
New age spirituality
Any Predictions on 33 and 18 Marker ? Thank You
Reply 67
Does anybody know if we have to learn the dynamics of the sects and NRMS , including the death of a sect etc
Original post by helpmekid
Any Predictions on 33 and 18 Marker ? Thank You

33 perhaps either Marxism or Postmodernity

18 Globalisation or Science

Who knows though, could be vice-versa! I'm just hoping social groups doesn't come up as an 18 marker.
Reply 69
Original post by R3cognize
33 perhaps either Marxism or Postmodernity

18 Globalisation or Science

Who knows though, could be vice-versa! I'm just hoping social groups doesn't come up as an 18 marker.

Make this the exam plz.

Social groups isn't that bad serious. It looks really daunting but just have a mini discussion, a big chunky paragraph, about gender, ethnicity, age, class and TUH-DAH you are done.
Whats the diff between

New Age Movements? and the other one

Whats

World Accomondating Groups
and World Affriming Gropus??

What are they and whats the difference?
Reply 71
Original post by helpmekid
Whats the diff between

New Age Movements? and the other one

Whats

World Accomondating Groups
and World Affriming Gropus??

What are they and whats the difference?

New Age Movements have emerged since the decline of established religion and often have a spiritual dimension. Individuals may turn to New Religious Movements in absence of a grand narrative, seeking a personal rationale. Bruce identified three types of NRM, which include world accommodating groups, world affirming groups and world rejecting groups. World affirming groups tend to be individualistic and life positive. They are not critical of the outside World and do not require exceptional committment - example of this movement would be the Church of Scientology. Worlld accommodating groups tend to be more orthodox in that they maintain some connections with the outside world but place a high value on inner religious belief. Buddhism is an example of this.
Reply 72
Original post by Laura_2010
New Age Movements have emerged since the decline of established religion and often have a spiritual dimension. Individuals may turn to New Religious Movements in absence of a grand narrative, seeking a personal rationale. Bruce identified three types of NRM, which include world accommodating groups, world affirming groups and world rejecting groups. World affirming groups tend to be individualistic and life positive. They are not critical of the outside World and do not require exceptional committment - example of this movement would be the Church of Scientology. Worlld accommodating groups tend to be more orthodox in that they maintain some connections with the outside world but place a high value on inner religious belief. Buddhism is an example of this.

I thought it was Wallis that identifies the three types of NRM's .
Original post by Sana210693
I thought it was Wallis that identifies the three types of NRM's .

Yeah it was Wallis' typology on NRM. I suspect the original poster knew that, though. Probably just a typo - better here than in the exam! :wink:
Reply 74
That's what I'm hoping - if religion is fine, then dropping a little in C&D won't be the end of the world. I need to get an A* in Sociology though, so I can only afford to drop 20 marks overall :| it's a worrying thought. And is it just me, or was the June 2011 paper amazing?! I would've loved that paper :frown: I'm really beginning to think that after a good June 2011 and Jan 2012 paper, our paper is going to be awfully hard...

Haha, I must admit that the thought of that comforts me somewhat.

I need an A myself, which is still tricky enough. My teacher expects an A*, though I really doubt this will be the case. The last two were very good, and often a bad one can follow the nice, but again, UMS is a thing!
Reply 75
Original post by C3S
I need an A myself, which is still tricky enough. My teacher expects an A*, though I really doubt this will be the case. The last two were very good, and often a bad one can follow the nice, but again, UMS is a thing!

Getting an A/A* in Sociology is no mean feat....I really don't understand why A-level Sociology has such a bad rep, it's not soft at all! :confused:

Ah yes, UMS. Anyway, good luck :smile: hopefully it goes well for both of us!
Reply 76
Getting an A/A* in Sociology is no mean feat....I really don't understand why A-level Sociology has such a bad rep, it's not soft at all! :confused:

Ah yes, UMS. Anyway, good luck :smile: hopefully it goes well for both of us!

I know, in my school, maths is timetabled at the same time as sociology and gets looked down upon. People don't realise the extent of what we have to learn!

Good luck to you too, here's hoping globalization! :biggrin:
Reply 77
Original post by C3S
I know, in my school, maths is timetabled at the same time as sociology and gets looked down upon. People don't realise the extent of what we have to learn!

Good luck to you too, here's hoping globalization! :biggrin:

They really don't!

I don't know what to hope for anymore - here's hoping for a paper that'll get us the grades we need! :smile:
Reply 78
If postmodernism came up what could you link it with??

Am i right in thinking social change and fundamentalism??
Reply 79
Original post by andy2007
If postmodernism came up what could you link it with??

Am i right in thinking social change and fundamentalism??

I suppose you could say how the post modern age has fueled uncertainty which has created fundamentalism, as Bauman suggests. But mostly you would just go through a run down of the main Post Modernist thinkers -

Bauman - Individual is key. Own morality. Own God. But we look to religious leaders for our morality. So we are kind of associated with the churches within our states but not a specific one and our relationship is detached. Not sure how relevant this idea is outside of the theory, I love Bauman generally, but things like gay marriage etc are not that representative.
Davie - Personal God. Believing Without Belonging. Look at the census. Many people say they are religious and believe in "a god" but they don't know which one, which institution it belongs too, what denomination. It is just in their heart.
Lyon - Re-enchanted with religion. We live in an age of diversity and freedom. Stark said it was a golden age as this is the first age where religion is able to be sincere. Not chosen by family, tradition, class, culture or other barriers. Just us.
Stark and Bainbridge - Religious Market Theory - Kind of like Lyon - More religious choice, more faith. They cite America as the ideal example.
Hervieu-Leger - The Religious supermarket. We are diverse and free and not attached to any religious group. We quite like spirituality and we dip in to bits we like and ignore the bits we don't. Often we just move onto the next crazy.

And then you would contrast -
Bauman - Is post modernity creating free and diverse religion? It is creating uncertainty and fundamentalism.
Norris and Ingleheart - Existential Security Theory - Poorer states are more religious as it gives something to cling onto - Kind of like the Marxists say.
Davies - Ethnicity - The argument of the Post-Modernists is a bit Christo-Centric. Look at the ethnic minority churches! Over 80% of Afro Caribbean's think religion is important and other 75% of South East Asians. Diversity is a White British thing.
Another criticism of Post Modernism - It over eggs the freedom omelette. It mostly only represents the views of a small group of the White dominant hegemonic middle classes and guardianistas. Ordinary people do not live like this.
Secularisation - Voas and Crockett and Bruce both question whether these diverse type faiths, NRMS and NAMS, which are non-committed and tend to have short lived memberships count as religion or if they are just further examples of a detachment from faith.

I will stop using this thread as a form of revision now. I am not touching Sociology till after my History exam so this is the only time I get to practice ahaha.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending