The Student Room Group

WJEC Film A2 FM4 21st June

Who has this exam? I'm about to start revision and building my resources, any insights or resources to share?

I Studied the French New Wave and Hollywood New Wave, Emotive Cinema and Vertigo.

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

I am taking the WJEC film exam too! :smile: I am studying Urban Stories: Power, Poverty and Conflict, Spectatorship (Emotional Response), Fight Club and Vertigo. I am going through all of the films and looking for theory etc (I need help with this!) and analysing the key scenes for macro and micro features :smile:
Reply 2
I can provide you with the resources and book lists we were given for Emotional Response. I can try to find you all my Vertigo Stuff but it'll be in handwriting.

Anyway Let me know :smile:
Yes please :') that would help. I really need an A! I dont have much theory. :'(
Reply 4
Original post by hopingforuni12
I am taking the WJEC film exam too! :smile: I am studying Urban Stories: Power, Poverty and Conflict, Spectatorship (Emotional Response), Fight Club and Vertigo. I am going through all of the films and looking for theory etc (I need help with this!) and analysing the key scenes for macro and micro features :smile:

What films have you watched for Power, Poverty and Conflict?
Reply 5
Original post by fusionet24
I can provide you with the resources and book lists we were given for Emotional Response. I can try to find you all my Vertigo Stuff but it'll be in handwriting.

Anyway Let me know :smile:

Hey would you be able to share those resources and booklists for emotional response with me if possible too?

Thanks buddy would appreciate it!

G
Original post by JJames
What films have you watched for Power, Poverty and Conflict?

City of God, La Haine, Gomorrah and Elite Squad.
Reply 7
how and which critical approaches do you apply for your section C- critical study?
Original post by coodooloo
how and which critical approaches do you apply for your section C- critical study?

What do you mean...I haven't been told any critical approaches.
Reply 9
What do you mean...I haven't been told any critical approaches.

If you look at section C you'll see three types of questions: 2 general and one specific. For the general ones, one is focussed on applying a critical approach. We haven't been taught either.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
If you look at section C you'll see three types of questions: 2 general and one specific. For the general ones, one is focussed on applying a critical approach. We haven't been taught either.

I need to get an A in this! Im screwed.
Reply 11
I need to get an A in this! Im screwed.

Which film are you working on. I'm doing vertigo. Some critical approaches that may be useful are gender (psychoanalysis) and auteur theory the idea that the director is the sole creative force upon a film and thus the film reflects some of the directors principle beliefs.

Which film are you working on. I'm doing vertigo. Some critical approaches that may be useful are gender (psychoanalysis) and auteur theory the idea that the director is the sole creative force upon a film and thus the film reflects some of the directors principle beliefs.

I am doing Vertigo and Fight Club :smile:
Reply 13
We've studied Modern Times and Fight Club for the close-study film, though I prefer Modern Times by a long mile - much more sociological factors to write about, and also silent filmmaking etc!

Our PPC films are: City of God, Tsotsi, Once Were Warriors and Metropolois. Like all but the last.

Finally my choice for emotional response will be: Shaun of the Dead (Edgar Wright, 2004), The Exorcist (William Friedkin, 1973) and The Pursuit of Happiness (Gabriele Muccino, 2006). Other supporting (one liner) films I plan to use are: Paul (2011)/Hot Fuzz (2007) to support the points I raise for Shaun of the Dead, A Nightmare on Elm Street (series of films, 1970s - Wes Craven) and Scream Trilogy (excluding scream 4, Wes Craven again) to contrast against points used for The Exorcist and I Robot, Hancock and I Am Legend - when talking about Will Smith's acting style and typecasted image and how effectively he breaks this.

Whew, thats my semi-reivison paragraph done. What's everyone using for the emotional response question as focus films? :smile:
Original post by Dpdr
We've studied Modern Times and Fight Club for the close-study film, though I prefer Modern Times by a long mile - much more sociological factors to write about, and also silent filmmaking etc!

Our PPC films are: City of God, Tsotsi, Once Were Warriors and Metropolois. Like all but the last.

Finally my choice for emotional response will be: Shaun of the Dead (Edgar Wright, 2004), The Exorcist (William Friedkin, 1973) and The Pursuit of Happiness (Gabriele Muccino, 2006). Other supporting (one liner) films I plan to use are: Paul (2011)/Hot Fuzz (2007) to support the points I raise for Shaun of the Dead, A Nightmare on Elm Street (series of films, 1970s - Wes Craven) and Scream Trilogy (excluding scream 4, Wes Craven again) to contrast against points used for The Exorcist and I Robot, Hancock and I Am Legend - when talking about Will Smith's acting style and typecasted image and how effectively he breaks this.

Whew, thats my semi-reivison paragraph done. What's everyone using for the emotional response question as focus films? :smile:

Schindlers List, Life is Beautiful, My Sisters Keeper, The Reader, Psycho, Un Chien Adelu. I have loads.
Reply 15
I've only got two emotional response films: American History X and Crash, but I suppose its possible to make occasional references to other films, without it being too in depth?
My Chosen Texts:

'Empowering Women' Section: Nikita and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish Version)
Emotional Response: The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile
Section C: Fight Club

I'm confident on Section A and C but not the Emotional Response question funnily enough as The Shawshank Redemption is one of my favourite films. I'm hoping a question comes up about cinematography techniques or masculinity for Section C but I know there was a question about visual style already :frown: I haven't really revised critical approaches so I'd probably fail that if I can't answer the general question. I've read a few negative (Roger Ebert) and positive reviews on the film and have looked at the auteur theory but that's pretty much it.
My teacher gave the class a physical copy of this PDF file. His friend is writing a book on Fight Club for A Level students. I thought I'd put it on here if anyone wants to take a look at it.
Original post by joey_richardson
My teacher gave the class a physical copy of this PDF file. His friend is writing a book on Fight Club for A Level students. I thought I'd put it on here if anyone wants to take a look at it.

Reply 19
Do we get marked down for not including every film we have looked at for emotional response?
My tutor screwed us over by making us watch extra films and I'm wondering whether the exam board has a full list of what we have watched...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending