The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Still avoiding the outside.

BF was looking up weekend breaks in the country earlier = panic attack. He's just gone to town (which I turned down) and whilst most of me wants to go for a walk, get out the house etc., the anxiety is just too much to cope with. This time in a year I'll have graduated and I'll have to get a proper, full time job, how the **** is that going to happen?
Reply 3401
I think I might have a mental illness. Who do I tell?
Original post by Etoile

Your doctor is the best, but if you can't face it then a good friend or family member who you trust. :hugs:
just so people know, I am okay, recovered from Friday night fully now, met up with a friend on Saturday and stuff that really helped.
Reply 3404
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Your doctor is the best, but if you can't face it then a good friend or family member who you trust. :hugs:

I don't trust any of my family or friends :sigh: What would I say to the doctor? :hugs:
Original post by SciFiBoy
just so people know, I am okay, recovered from Friday night fully now, met up with a friend on Saturday and stuff that really helped.

Glad to hear it. Sorry I didn't respond to any of your messages. It's not because I didn't care. More that it's a very triggering subject for me and I thought it was safest to avoid the whole thread until it was deemed safe to return (got d123 to keep me updated. She's an angel like that :love: ) :colondollar:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Glad to hear it. Sorry I didn't respond to any of your messages. It's not because I didn't care. More that it's a very triggering subject for me and I thought it was safest to avoid the whole thread until it was deemed safe to return (got d123 to keep me updated. She's an angel like that :love: ) :colondollar:

ah, yeah sorry about that, was both very drunk and in pretty bad way on Friday night so im sorry if anything I posted was upsetting to anyone.

I hope everyone else is okay :hugs:
Original post by Etoile
I don't trust any of my family or friends :sigh: What would I say to the doctor? :hugs:

Without knowing exactly what you're going through it's hard to give advice.

Best thing to do is write down the main bullet points of why you feel bad/what you feel is wrong and take that with you; so you can remember what you want to say or if you clam up just pass it over to your GP and they can read it. They'll probably (again, depending on what the nature of your problem is) do a few quick tests like questionnaires to determine whether you can be formally diagnosed.
ah, yeah sorry about that, was both very drunk and in pretty bad way on Friday night so im sorry if anything I posted was upsetting to anyone.

I hope everyone else is okay :hugs:

Not to worry, hun. Really glad you're feeling better now: that's the most important thing :yes: :hugs: :yes:
Reply 3409
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Without knowing exactly what you're going through it's hard to give advice.

Best thing to do is write down the main bullet points of why you feel bad/what you feel is wrong and take that with you; so you can remember what you want to say or if you clam up just pass it over to your GP and they can read it. They'll probably (again, depending on what the nature of your problem is) do a few quick tests like questionnaires to determine whether you can be formally diagnosed.

Awesome thank you :smile: I think I might have bipolar (probably type II), so I should probably write down about my episodes I guess. Thank you.
Original post by Etoile
Awesome thank you :smile: I think I might have bipolar (probably type II), so I should probably write down about my episodes I guess. Thank you.

Yes, that'd be a good idea :smile: Try and track how quickly/slowly your moods change. If you need any more help or just a chat, pop back in here :smile:
:ditto:

Keeping a diary of symptoms might be a good idea :yes:
:console: :hugs: :console:

Thanks
Original post by Sabertooth
Yeah that does sound pretty **** but I think you might have the start of several things so it's not all doom and gloom. You went out last night with your flatmates, ok they're leaving today but did you at least have a good time? The fact you still went shows that you are capable of interacting with people and when you have no friends that's a very important thing to be able to do. It'll be scary moving in with people you haven't met but perhaps try to see it as an opportunity - they might be awesome people and you might make friends with them, it's worth a shot at least. Going back to work is also scary obviously but it's a chance to get to know the people you work with, they might be cool guys and you might feel less alone, again, you don't know until you try. Are you getting any help with how you feel? That is often a big step to take but it's usually a good idea.

I'm going back to my GP tomorrow. Problem is I'm back at home so I'll be seeing someone who isn't familiar with what's been happening with the GP at uni. Just concerned it'll be a few weeks again until the ball starts rolling.
Original post by Etoile

THe others have given really good advice, Writing things down, keeping a diary all good things :smile: THe only thing I would add is to be completely honest with your doctor, they can't help unless they know the whole truth.

Glad your doing better!! :biggrin:
Pretty sure I have 2 other quotes to reply to but I've forgotten them :ashamed:

Original post by Anonymous
...Does anybody still remember me?

Basically, the last month or so has been awful and I'm in a mental health unit for young people following a suicide attempt. I'm still there and it's unclear how long I'll be here for. I'm on leave at home at the moment hence internet access.

I hope everybody is ok x

Tots remember you :jumphug: I hope you're okay. Sorry things got so bad but we're all here for you and will keep you in our thoughts :hugs: Hopefully you get out soon and it's all okay.

Original post by littleshambles
x

Hey :smile: Been wondering how have you been?

Original post by Etoile

Oh no! :frown: How have you been feeling? Well everyone else has pretty much answered, but yeah your GP is the first person to tell. If you freak out over telling a male GP (often happens with me) then you can request for a female one :yes: Good luck with it hun :hugs:
Original post by ViceVersa
If you freak out over telling a male GP (often happens with me) then you can request for a female one :yes:

Obviously not glad that this happens to you but it's nice to know I'm not alone in this :o:

My EIS only has male psychiatrists. Also appears to only have one female CPN at a time :eyeball: TLG was NOT impressed :no:
Obviously not glad that this happens to you but it's nice to know I'm not alone in this :o:

My EIS only has male psychiatrists. Also appears to only have one female CPN at a time :eyeball: TLG was NOT impressed :no:

Ah same :yep:

:lolwut: I would not be able to cope with that. Luckily my psychiatrist is a woman, and my GP I see is a woman (finally, after my practise realising they will get nothing out of me if I kept seeing male GPs) but she (my GP) could be better tbh :sadnod:
Original post by ViceVersa
Ah same :yep:

:lolwut: I would not be able to cope with that. Luckily my psychiatrist is a woman, and my GP I see is a woman (finally, after my practise realising they will get nothing out of me if I kept seeing male GPs) but she (my GP) could be better tbh :sadnod:

Fortunately my psychiatrist is very nice so even though I'm often suspicious of him, it's manageable. Though when I'm in a major psychotic episode, I tend to decide that he's out to get me and so I drag my (female) CPN to every meeting with him :colondollar: Hoping to hear from my new female CPN tomorrow. It always takes them so bloody long to assign me a CPN when my one leaves (this is the second time my assigned CPN has left me :nopity: ), coz they have to wait til a female one comes along :rolleyes:

That's a shame about your GP :sad: My GP is lovely but she keeps going on year-long maternity leave. The first time, I was like :h: but the second time I was like :eek: :sigh: :cry2: Hoping that she's done enough baby-making for the time being and that she'll stick around :lol:
Reply 3419
Fortunately my psychiatrist is very nice so even though I'm often suspicious of him, it's manageable. Though when I'm in a major psychotic episode, I tend to decide that he's out to get me and so I drag my (female) CPN to every meeting with him :colondollar: Hoping to hear from my new female CPN tomorrow. It always takes them so bloody long to assign me a CPN when my one leaves (this is the second time my assigned CPN has left me :nopity: ), coz they have to wait til a female one comes along :rolleyes:

That's a shame about your GP :sad: My GP is lovely but she keeps going on year-long maternity leave. The first time, I was like :h: but the second time I was like :eek: :sigh: :cry2: Hoping that she's done enough baby-making for the time being and that she'll stick around :lol:

TLG not wanting more babies around??? :eek: :P

Latest