The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smack
To see if my back could handle it. And I didn't go that heavy lol.

Fair enough. Interesting strategy, did u go heavy before today? Most I've done is 130 and I don't particularly care, gonna take it real slow.
Original post by redbuthotter
Fair enough. Interesting strategy, did u go heavy before today? Most I've done is 130 and I don't particularly care, gonna take it real slow.

I did 160 two-ish weeks ago. Again, not heavy, but heavy enough that my back didn't like it.
Better session tonight although back still ****ed.

Bench press:

82 x 5/5/5/5/5

Not excruciating - in fact easier than last time!

Clean and press:

50 x 3
55 x 3
60 x 3
65 x 3
70 x 1
75 x f

First time doing a press after a clean and yes, this might actually make the press easier. Not sure if I'd be good for a 70kg press from the rack without wrist wraps after 5x5 bench PR. Upon this discovery I no longer see the point in ever doing a press without a clean first any more...

Chins:

bodyweight x 4/3/2/2/2/1

These weren't so good.

Some foam rolling and stretching and home.
Good session again tonight.

Clean and press:

60 x 5/5/5/5/5

Cardio let me down a little but no grinders on the press side of things. Only issue is with occasional uneven grip when it comes to pressing due to when I rack the bar. Will easily be fixed with more practice.

Chins:

bodyweight x 4/3/4/3/2

Meh.

Supersetted curls with bodyweight GHRs with broomstick for two sets each but stopped there so I could catch the bus home on time.
****ing **** session tonight.

Bench:

84 x 3/5/3/3

Just never had any strength in me tonight. Form felt all off, couldn't keep tight, awful.

Tried to dumbbell bench after to get some work in but shoulders seemed a bit overworked.

Skull crushers:

bar + 10 x 10/10/10/10/10

Not hard, thankfully.

Did some curls to finish off then home.
Mind posting some pictures of your physique?
Original post by Gakthoil
Mind posting some pictures of your physique?

Would this give you sexual gratification?
Wow Nice Gains!!!

Im doing ss aswell could you check y log please mate?
Original post by Smack
Would this give you sexual gratification?

Typical SS-er response.
Original post by Slick Fosbury
Typical SS-er response.

I don't do Starting Strength.
Average session tonight.

Clean and press:

worked up to 77 x 1

Happy with that - the best I've had strict overhead in almost a year, but this time with no wrist wraps. Missed it the first time because clean was ****, but second time not too hard - easier than the last time I strict pressed 77. A good clean seems to really help on this.

Hammer grip chins:

bodyweight x 3/3/2

Meh. Left shoulder feeling awkward on this - think I just need to roll it with a lacrosse ball or something since I think its ROM is quite limited.
Just a quick one tonight.

Squats:

worked up to 160 x 1

Think back might be getting better. Definitely never felt 100% tonight but managed to squat up to 160 okay, pain backed off a bit. But I suppose I won't really see until I squat again since when I first noticed it the pain got worse as I continued squatting.
****ty session tonight. First time doing upper body in a while and back ****ed - much worse than on Saturday. Could only get a few reps of 80 before I decided to call it a day.

Clean and press:

70 x 3
75 x f
70 x 3
70 x 2

Not much to say really.

Some quick triceps, foam rolling and home.
Meh session tonight. Back totally ****ed.

Bench press:

80 x 5/5/5

Quite hard, lost a lot of bench strength from not doing it for a few weeks, but should hopefully be back up there soon.

Also don't seem to have the shoulder mobility to keep my shoulders tucked. And **** arching my back, too. Completely flat.

Flyes:

10s x 10/10/10

Holy **** these kicked my ass. Humbling, but doubtlessly effective.

Skull crushers:

bar + 22 x 10/10/10/7

Triceps were really frying up.
same **** happens to me with bench, miss one session and it goes to ****s
Okay session tonight.

Bench press:

82.5 x 5/5/5

Not too hard, but not easy.

Clean and press:

60 x 3
65 x 3
70 x 3

Clean form was really **** tonight. Press not easy either.

Did some curls and home.
Meh session tonight. Back felt better but not 100% these last few days so decided to squat tonight.

Squats:

60 x 5
80 x 5
100 x 5
120 x 5

Back was in quite a bit of pain by 120... so stopped the squatting.

Bench press:

85 x 5/5/4

****. Just hit a wall on the fourth rep of the last set and got pinned on the last. Shoulders felt more mobile however.

Sumo deadlifts:

140 x 2

Thought these might be better on my back given the more horizontal angle but they weren't.
Did you get your back checked out ? I am facing the same issue too... I keep getting told that it's a soft tissue related issue... the best my gp comes out with are the pain killers ..... going to chiro this week. Hopefully all goes well...
Original post by liftorrot
Did you get your back checked out ? I am facing the same issue too... I keep getting told that it's a soft tissue related issue... the best my gp comes out with are the pain killers ..... going to chiro this week. Hopefully all goes well...

Not yet, but mine is probably a soft tissue issue (mirin my rhymes?) too. I've still to try deepheat and the lacrosse balls on my thoracic spine.
Original post by Smack
Not yet, but mine is probably a soft tissue issue (mirin my rhymes?) too. I've still to try deepheat and the lacrosse balls on my thoracic spine.

Hahah ^ ... I see.. I am doing the same too for now.. just applying heat whenever get the chance to...

Quick Reply

Latest