The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skeletonboy
How much SQL, DDL, DML will we actually need to know? Will we need to create databases? Add users and grant permissions? Complex queries?
AQA have a document on their website that explains exactly what is needed: http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2510-W-TRB-COMP3QDUSQL.PDF

You do need to be able to create tables, but not add users or grant permissions.

Not sure what you mean by complex queries. Certainly queries involving multiple tables is required. But I don't think we need to know about GROUP BY, COUNT, etc
Reply 321
This is what Im going for now, based on the papers I have done.
Remeber it is just a prediction.

Traversal of Binary Trees (Inorder, Preorder, Postorder, Depth First, Breadth First)

Hashing

Insertion Sort

Traversal of Binary Trees which involve a stack, thus making it a recursive routine

SQL + Normalisation

Peer To Peer networks/ public key + private key

Firewalls

Thin Computing vs Rich Computing (Can someone please give me a good answer to this as I feel that it may come up)

OS Classification, API, Virtual machine

Abstraction + Information hiding

Im going to spend the whole of today on just those topics today and re-read over some of my notes. Btw, I would really appreciate it if someone could answer this question...
Thin Computing vs Rich Computing? Please.
Reply 322
pretty sure that's thick client vs thin client...
Reply 323
Original post by exam2k10
This is what Im going for now, based on the papers I have done.
Remeber it is just a prediction.

Traversal of Binary Trees (Inorder, Preorder, Postorder, Depth First, Breadth First)

Hashing

Insertion Sort

Traversal of Binary Trees which involve a stack, thus making it a recursive routine

SQL + Normalisation

Peer To Peer networks/ public key + private key

Firewalls

Thin Computing vs Rich Computing (Can someone please give me a good answer to this as I feel that it may come up)

OS Classification, API, Virtual machine

Abstraction + Information hiding

Im going to spend the whole of today on just those topics today and re-read over some of my notes. Btw, I would really appreciate it if someone could answer this question...
Thin Computing vs Rich Computing? Please.

Looks pretty good

With regards to thin vs rich I would start if by stating what they both are and then compare the differences between both

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by exe
pretty sure that's thick client vs thin client...

Same thing.
Reply 325
thin client - nodes have little memory and processing power, all processing is done at a central server
thick client - nodes have significant processing power with services being requested from a server.
Original post by exe
thin client - nodes have little memory and processing power, all processing is done at a central server
thick client - nodes have significant processing power with services being requested from a server.

I meant rich client is another term for thick client.
Reply 327
Original post by Chrisaster
I meant rich client is another term for thick client.

In a thin-client network, all processing takes place in a central server; the workstations connected to the central server have very little processing power and no hard disk storage.

A thick-client network is just the opposite of a thin-client network.
Reply 328
Has anybody just had OCR Physics (Frontiers)?
I can't stop thinking about that and I'm struggling to revise tonight!

Plus, this is a distraction: :bl:
Here's my attempt at a comparison of thin and thick/rich clients networks:

In a thin client network, all processing is done on a central server. The clients do little more than network their input and display the result of the server's processing on a video monitor. For this reason, they have very few hardware requirements, i.e. no secondary storage and little processing power required. An example of a thin client system is the Linux Terminal Server Project, which provides access to a Linux terminal that can be used by multiple users simultaneously. It's typically used for educational purposes as it removes the need to install a Linux OS on multiple machines.

A rich client network is effectively the opposite of a thin client network. The majority of the processing is done by the clients, which have reasonably powerful hardware. Since the server does not need to do much processing, it can serve a large number of clients. Although rich clients still depend on a central server, they are able to perform a large number of functions offline. Video games tend to use a rich client architecture, e.g. online leaderboards/achievements with offline gameplay. However, as network speeds are increasing, thin client gaming services (such as OnLive) are becoming more popular.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 330
cloud =/= thin client
Do we need to know anything about the workings of hashing or just how it is used?

Also, where in the book can I read about binary trees? Neither the contents, glossary nor index have any reference to them.
Reply 332
You have to go on the website to get them. It's a total joke, Kevin Bond is an utter utter idiot.

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/ict/computing_materials.php?id=04&prev=

go to teacher resource bank > learning support materials.

use www.multiwingspan.co.uk as well to get simplified explanations.
Original post by exe
cloud =/= thin client

Well, which part of the answer would you say doesn't count as thin client and only applies to the cloud? Since the term isn't even included in the specification, I don't think distinguishing them is necessary.
Reply 334
on live is cloud, not thin client, justsaying/being pedantic, u are right u dont need to know anything about cloud(because bond is stupid)
Original post by gowans07
Function is usually used when retrieving a single item such as Function GetPlayerName

Procedure is used as a collection of details so Procedure PlayerDetails.

Gotcha thanks.
Reply 336
Just had a look at the June 2011 paper and am pretty sure the mark scheme is wrong :s-smilie:

Can someone do this question and confirm this for me it's driving me insane :tongue:

3 A normalised floating point representation uses an 8-bit mantissa and a 4-bit exponent, both stored using two’s complement format.

3 (a) In binary, write in the boxes below, the smallest positive number that can be represented using this normalised floating point system.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-COMP3-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

I think the answer should be mantissa: 0.0000001, exponent: 1000 ?
Original post by darkskill
Just had a look at the June 2011 paper and am pretty sure the mark scheme is wrong :s-smilie:

Can someone do this question and confirm this for me it's driving me insane :tongue:

3 A normalised floating point representation uses an 8-bit mantissa and a 4-bit exponent, both stored using two’s complement format.

3 (a) In binary, write in the boxes below, the smallest positive number that can be represented using this normalised floating point system.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-COMP3-W-QP-JUN11.PDF

I think the answer should be mantissa: 0.0000001, exponent: 1000 ?

"A normalised floating point representation ..."

Your answer is smaller, but it isn't normalised.
Reply 338
Original post by Chrisaster
"A normalised floating point representation ..."

Your answer is smaller, but it isn't normalised.

Ahh ok, makes sense now. Thanks :smile:
Okay i know 3 tree traversals. Pre/In/Post order. Never done Breadth and depth before. So I just looked up depth first and I'm a little confused. Breadth is just going along each 'level' of the tree right to left and outputting them but I don't understand Depth first.

Latest

Trending

Trending