The Student Room Group

Skeletal formula drawing

Its question 1 part 2, I'm just getting confused because of the way the structure is set out, in the markscheme they have vertical lines going up which I don't understand.
What did you draw?
Original post by EierVonSatan
What did you draw?

Something like this
Original post by Emissionspectra
Something like this

okay

the left bit is fine, but things go south on the right :p:

you've got two double bonds joined together like C=C=C which isn't there

there are three double bonds (which you've got right) but one of them is =CH2 so is at the end of a chain.
okay

the left bit is fine, but things go south on the right :p:

you've got two double bonds joined together like C=C=C which isn't there

there are three double bonds (which you've got right) but one of them is =CH2 so is at the end of a chain.

Ah ok makes sense, do you have any tips for drawing isomers I always loose marks on drawing them because I just get confused and have no idea how you know what the isomers will be.
Original post by Emissionspectra
Ah ok makes sense, do you have any tips for drawing isomers I always loose marks on drawing them because I just get confused and have no idea how you know what the isomers will be.

You mean in questions like ''Draw all the structural isomers of the compound with molecular formula C4H9OH'' ?

Practice :p: I always start with the carbon chains then worry about placing the functional group once I'm satisfied I have all the different chains. If there are double (or triple) bonds the watch our for cyclic isomers too :yep:
You mean in questions like ''Draw all the structural isomers of the compound with molecular formula C4H9OH'' ?

Practice :p: I always start with the carbon chains then worry about placing the functional group once I'm satisfied I have all the different chains. If there are double (or triple) bonds the watch our for cyclic isomers too :yep:

Ye :frown: I just get confused especially if its stereoisomers as well.

Quick Reply

Latest