The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Firmers 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
What happened to freshers getting priority?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 161
what?! that was so nice for the money cant believe freshers are not even allowed to apply, thats where I wanted to stay :frown:
I've just been speaking to the lancaster residences facebook person, they said:

No freshers get allocated until August and it isn't first come first served. Rachael - freshers don't get priority as such - many have a guarantee, and to meet this we set continuer figures accordingly, but they sign up much earlier in the year. This has never been an option available on the app site as most of the building is full of second and third years. If you want to express a preference for County Main, please contact us and we can amend your application. These are only preferences though and while we try, we can never guarantee to meet all of them.

They're lying about it never being an option because I managed to apply for it - and now I'm concerned that I'll be living with second and third years instead of freshers. I feel like I've wasted my first choice, and as my second choice is the ever-popular townhouse I probably won't get that either. So HURRAH about the fact that I'll end up in accommodation I didn't want to stay in!
Reply 163
Original post by lewisd17

Guess we're not getting in there then! :frown:

That's odd, they never sent me an email and by the looks of it they haven't sent others an email.
Reply 164
and I thought Lancaster won the best application process because it was so quick easy!? :-/

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST18i
Original post by Erratic
That's odd, they never sent me an email and by the looks of it they haven't sent others an email.

Are you referring to the note about superior standard? If so, it was posted out on the Lancaster Residences Facebook page, not by email.
Original post by sophie99
and I thought Lancaster won the best application process because it was so quick easy!? :-/

Not only did they lie about priority for freshers, they also lied about the fact that it was never on there as an option. It was - when I applied, I was able to put superior standard as my first choice.

I don't see how people could describe their application process as easy!
Reply 167
My bad, I had thought they sent an email.

Also, Rachael you can call them or email them to change your accommodation type. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Erratic
My bad, I had thought they sent an email.

Also, Racael you can call them or email them to change your accommodation type. :smile:

Apparently they're going to contact me tomorrow. I've kicked up a bit of a fuss because of the fact that I don't really want to change my preferences - I don't have another type of accommodation that I want as much as I wanted that one. Yes - I'm stubborn :tongue:
So I left a bit of a lengthy moan on their page with suggestions on how to go about this in future years!
Reply 169
Original post by rachaelizabeth
Apparently they're going to contact me tomorrow. I've kicked up a bit of a fuss because of the fact that I don't really want to change my preferences - I don't have another type of accommodation that I want as much as I wanted that one. Yes - I'm stubborn :tongue:
So I left a bit of a lengthy moan on their page with suggestions on how to go about this in future years!

Good for you! Probably find out the 2nd & 3rd years in question are sprogs of VIPs, celebs, etc. Moi, a cynic...?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 170
so where is everyones second choice now county superior standard is 'unavailable for freshers' ? :smile:

Reply 171
First choice county townhouse, second furness upgraded standard :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-P7510
So annoyed about this!! Applied for County Superior Standard last week! Sent them a long rant via email -_-
Reply 173
First choice county townhouse, second furness upgraded standard :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-P7510

I was thinking townhouse in county too, so annoying because its 500 quid more expensive than superior standard :frown:

Reply 174
Original post by sophie99
I was thinking townhouse in county too, so annoying because its 500 quid more expensive than superior standard :frown:

Yeah, I know :/ I was hoping for the superior standard too. And knowing my luck when I come to apply for accommodation next year (if I stay on campus) they'll reserve it for Freshers..
Yeah, I know :/ I was hoping for the superior standard too. And knowing my luck when I come to apply for accommodation next year (if I stay on campus) they'll reserve it for Freshers..

It doesn't work like that.

They allocate a set number of rooms for continuers and for freshers, based on applicant numbers/offers etc. Continuers/returners apply for those rooms in Dec/January. It is all signed off with deposits paid by Easter usually. Long before many potential-freshers have secured their places. :smile:

As they said, other colleges have similar rooms. Yes, they will be different, but they will offer everything you need. As a Furness alumni myself, I can't understand all the fuss over County, when Furness standard is available. :tongue:
Reply 176
Original post by affinity89

They allocate a set number of rooms for continuers and for freshers, based on applicant numbers/offers etc. Continuers/returners apply for those rooms in Dec/January. It is all signed off with deposits paid by Easter usually. Long before many potential-freshers have secured their places. :smile:

As they said, other colleges have similar rooms. Yes, they will be different, but they will offer everything you need. As a Furness alumni myself, I can't understand all the fuss over County, when Furness standard is available. :tongue:

if this the case then why was it not mentioned to us freshers? and why were some people allowed to apply, if what your saying is true is shouldn't have even been offered to some freshers?! and all the fuss is because the county offered 'superior standard' which was a lot nicer that any other colleges 'upgraded standard'

Original post by affinity89

You've got to understand people's frustration though, as we've all been told for months that we can apply and then all of a sudden we've found out we can't. I know there are similar rooms, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that's not the point - they messed up a bit and now they've got angry freshers to deal with! :')
Original post by lampshade1
So annoyed about this!! Applied for County Superior Standard last week! Sent them a long rant via email -_-

Same! I'm not happy. Do you know if this means we have to change our choices?
I'm scared in case I end up in a flat full of second and third years, seeing as that building is apparently "full" of them...
Original post by rachaelizabeth
Same! I'm not happy. Do you know if this means we have to change our choices?
I'm scared in case I end up in a flat full of second and third years, seeing as that building is apparently "full" of them...

I've emailed them, so hopefully they'll reply! If they say we can't be guarenteed to be with freshers I will MAKE them change my choice.
People are changing that have just changed their minds so we should get to change!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending