The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Watching Black Swan, probably not the best idea as I find it so triggering but it's such a beautiful film... :moon:
Original post by Anonymous
Watching Black Swan, probably not the best idea as I find it so triggering but it's such a beautiful film... :moon:

Oh God, I almost watched that with my prudish Grandmother. That would have been a BIG mistake.
Original post by Antiaris
Oh God, I almost watched that with my prudish Grandmother. That would have been a BIG mistake.

A friend of mine went with her mother and some of said mothers CATHOLIC friends to the cinema to see it. said friends were all on about how disgusting that scene was. My friends currently in a same sex relationship.

Try watching The Reader with the parents/ male teacher (apparently I cringed through atleast half of the film, and for this reason, sir wont lend me Gegen der Wand, because he knows I'll hate it). Found it hilarious that Waterstones were pushing the (crap) english translation of the book as an ideal mothers day present. It is NOT an ideal mothers day present.

Original post by sentiment
So this might sound a stupid thing to be celebrating but life's all about small victories at the moment so...I actually ate three semi-normal meals today. For the first time in weeks. Right now I feel huge and disgusting and so full that it hurts, but I said I was going to do it and for once I didn't allow myself to make excuses. And if any of you remember me complaining about my friend a little while ago who was angry with me for 'not trying hard enough' to eat more - he just said he was proud of me. I'm so happy :smile:

Yay. proud momma -explodes with pride- Theres deffo something in the water atm. I've been rediculously motivated today. managed to eat actual stuff, get two german essays done, proof read them AND email them to sir, be sociable AND go for a walk, and do some yoga. All before 5.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Antiaris

I'm watching it with my mum. :facepalm:
Original post by sentiment
So this might sound a stupid thing to be celebrating but life's all about small victories at the moment so...I actually ate three semi-normal meals today. For the first time in weeks. Right now I feel huge and disgusting and so full that it hurts, but I said I was going to do it and for once I didn't allow myself to make excuses. And if any of you remember me complaining about my friend a little while ago who was angry with me for 'not trying hard enough' to eat more - he just said he was proud of me. I'm so happy :smile:

That is an amazing achievement :smile: Sounds like it has been pretty challenging - you definitely deserve praise from others and from yourself for it x
Reply 3705
Original post by Anonymous

First time I watched with my dad and sis; I fled the cinema. Too close to the bone.
Second time about six months later, I saw home alone, managed to sit through the whole thing. Round about the same time I started really pushing physical recovery .
Great film. A must for anyone struggling. I've found there are some things which you just need to come back to when the time is right.
The Reader's pretty blunt too but an awesome read...my mum lent it to me actually :tongue:
Original post by Riku
First time I watched with my dad and sis; I fled the cinema. Too close to the bone.
Second time about six months later, I saw home alone, managed to sit through the whole thing. Round about the same time I started really pushing physical recovery .
Great film. A must for anyone struggling. I've found there are some things which you just need to come back to when the time is right.
The Reader's pretty blunt too but an awesome read...my mum lent it to me actually :tongue:

the bluntness is probably down to the fact Schlink is a lawyer. You pick little things up like he never tries to romanticise the relationship between him and Hanna, just tells it how it was. Yes, I have had to analyse the original german text in this sort of depth.
Reply 3707
Original post by .snowflake.
the bluntness is probably down to the fact Schlink is a lawyer. You pick little things up like he never tries to romanticise the relationship between him and Hanna, just tells it how it was. Yes, I have had to analyse the original german text in this sort of depth.

I thought it wasn't so much Schlink being a lawyer as cutting off his emotional link to the entire affair? Could be wrong. Kudos to you for managing to read the whole thing in its original translation!

Being a bit silly today. Not a food thing fortunately, but still not really normal.

Spoiler

Why am I doing therapy on my own during summer hols, Snow?
(edited 11 years ago)
it's not good if clothes thatwere a bit too small when is was 15 are too big now that i'm 16, is it?
Original post by Riku
I thought it wasn't so much Schlink being a lawyer as cutting off his emotional link to the entire affair? Could be wrong. Kudos to you for managing to read the whole thing in its original translation!

Why am I doing therapy on my own during summer hols, Snow?

dunno. Better than doing it whilst at uni/ not doing it at all and having the uni use your ED as a reason to faff about/ take an age to decide whether they'll confirm you...

I had no choice about reading it in the original german. AQA require you to do two cultural topics at A2, and we went for history (the DDR) and literature (Der Vorleser).
I have done a just shy of 1000 word essay in my second language in... 2 hours or so before. Got 31/40 for it. Sir nearly exploded with pride by the looks of the comments. :/
Hi all. I'm not sure if I really have an eating disorder, but I have struggled a lot with food/eating in the past and I feel myself going that way again.

I wouldn't classify myself as bulimic but I have certainly had some of the symptoms for 5 or so years. And last year I had a very restricted diet, had around 800-1000 calories a day (but told everyone I was having 1200) and exercised a lot, and I did convince myself that I was being healthy because I was having only health foods. No chocolate or junk or anything like that at all.

I got down to around 101lbs (from about 126). I then saw some pictures of myself, and got some negative comments about how bony my arms were and really I looked quite child-like - I completely lost my boobs and bum. But at the same time when I looked in the mirror I felt so much better like that than what I was like before, and I had been getting so many more compliments as well. It was really confusing.

Anyway, since october (and since starting uni) I've gained a lot, almost back to my original weight. It really disgusts me that I gained so much. When I decided to gain originally my mindset was "I'm underweight, must eat lots to get better" but then when I was at a healthier weight, and my periods had started again, it was hard to restrict myself again so I started the b/ping.

I went vegan just over a month ago and have been restricting myself again, only to 1200 calories which I'm told is fine. However I slipped up once and had to throw up. It's really disgusting and I don't understand it... I know if I just eat healthily then I will be healthy and I will reach a weight I'm happy with :frown: but I'm scared that if I do lose weight that I'm not going to be able to stop without gaining a ton.

Sorry for such a long post. I can't talk about this to anyone irl :frown:
Feeling pretty good today, but I can't shake my food worries. Dinner seems to be so massive in my head. Mmm. :/ Sorry. Bit random. x
Reply 3712
dunno. Better than doing it whilst at uni/ not doing it at all and having the uni use your ED as a reason to faff about/ take an age to decide whether they'll confirm you...

I had no choice about reading it in the original german. AQA require you to do two cultural topics at A2, and we went for history (the DDR) and literature (Der Vorleser).
I have done a just shy of 1000 word essay in my second language in... 2 hours or so before. Got 31/40 for it. Sir nearly exploded with pride by the looks of the comments. :/

Niiiice! That's good going. Sounds like alright choice of A2 topics too, in fairness (though maybe I'm wrong on that :cool: )
Fair enough, maybe I'm just slow :redface:
That's really not on. They've no right to be using your ED against you for anything. Hope they get themselves in gear sometime soon. x

Universities, colleges, employers and anyone who's instrumental in your life have NO right to withhold anything from you because of a mental illness, they can't withdraw an offer or mess you around if you notify them of your ED, if anything they're more likely to be accommodating as they will want to help you and understand that you have an obstacle that you're working to get over. x
it's not a silly reason. :hugs:

Thank you. So fed up, it's been so hard this week :frown:
Original post by x-Disenchanted-x

We're here if you need us :smile:
hey guys I was just wondering if anyone had ever watched a tv show called make it or break it? Because I was bored last night and discovered it online and watched several episodes. There's a girl in it whose a professional gymnast but also suffering from anorexia and thats EXACTLY the same as me and ... i know this may sound stupid and pathetic but i could relate so much to the girl in it (and i know it's only a stupid tv programme) but i found it really triggering?
I don't quite know what to do because i've been recovering so well but i've found that this stupid tv programme has really set me back and I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar to this and what the best way to push past it is?
thank you for any help :hugs:
Original post by Mia_thompson
hey guys I was just wondering if anyone had ever watched a tv show called make it or break it? Because I was bored last night and discovered it online and watched several episodes. There's a girl in it whose a professional gymnast but also suffering from anorexia and thats EXACTLY the same as me and ... i know this may sound stupid and pathetic but i could relate so much to the girl in it (and i know it's only a stupid tv programme) but i found it really triggering?
I don't quite know what to do because i've been recovering so well but i've found that this stupid tv programme has really set me back and I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar to this and what the best way to push past it is?
thank you for any help :hugs:

I've not watched it, but I've seen adverts for it.
Original post by x-Disenchanted-x

same. German exam on friday. despite sending sir two essays, one which i wrote when my attention span was that of a gnat, and one where i felt i was actually concentrating for more than 30 seconds and got 28 and 32/40 respectively, and being told 'You'll be fine.' I'm SO scared.
Feel ****ty today. Routine was properly messed up and I've got a banging headache.

Quick Reply

Latest