The Student Room Group

SCLY3 Power & Politics - AQA - Predictions?!

I feel as if I'm the only person doing this exam?! :-S does anyone have any predictions for what's going to come up on Wednesday?
Reply 1
Finally someone else doing politics! everyone else seems to be doing religion on here!

I dont think the role of the state will come up because its come up a lot,
Perhaps some theory on the 33 marker, maybe 8 marker on ethnic minority?
Reply 2
I am as well, if anyone else can contribute prediction it would be helpful

One question I do have which I would appreciate an answer for is on the question

‘All societies have elites. Some elites are simply more coherent and organised, and gain more power than others.’
To what extent do sociological arguments and evidence support this view? (33 marks)

Is this question basically Elite theory vs Marxism vs Pluralist vs Postmodernism etc etc? I don't really get it :/

Im hoping for theories of power, theories of the state or voting behaviour/ reasons for voting

Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ncusack
x

Original post by Sophie_284
x

Original post by Handshaw
x

How do people feel this exam went today? I thought it seemed more like a Politics exam, and I worry my answers were too political rather than Sociological.

An example, I did the 33 mark question on politics being global, and with the argument that politics was mostly global, I talked about the rise in importance of institutions like the IMF, how local issues were now seen as important on a global scale, with the example of Hollande's recent victory in France being covered by global media, and the fact that protest movements are now global, because they now draw inspiration from other movements in different countries, with the example of the Occupy movement.

For the opposing argument, I talked about how while globalization was important, there are also still greater calls to devolve power (Scotland's Independence referendum in 2014 for example) and regional parties in the UK are doing very well. I also mentioned that people still have national identities, reinforced by banal nationalism in everyday life, and this does have an impact on localized politics.

It would have been a fantastic politics essay, I'm sure, but while I did mention the occasional Sociologist, I'm not sure it was Sociological enough. Any thoughts welcome. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Plonk
How do people feel this exam went today? I thought it seemed more like a Politics exam, and I worry my answers were too political rather than Sociological.

An example, I did the 33 mark question on politics being global, and with the argument that politics was mostly global, I talked about the rise in importance of institutions like the IMF, how local issues were now seen as important on a global scale, with the example of Hollande's recent victory in France being covered by global media, and the fact that protest movements are now global, because they now draw inspiration from other movements in different countries, with the example of the Occupy movement.

For the opposing argument, I talked about how while globalization was important, there are also still greater calls to devolve power (Scotland's Independence referendum in 2014 for example) and regional parties in the UK are doing very well. I also mentioned that people still have national identities, reinforced by banal nationalism in everyday life, and this does have an impact on localized politics.

It would have been a fantastic politics essay, I'm sure, but while I did mention the occasional Sociologist, I'm not sure it was Sociological enough. Any thoughts welcome. :smile:

I did that question too, put in similiar things too and also thought ahh how to relate to sociology! But my teacher said it was correct so alls good hopefully :smile:
Reply 5
I'm so glad I'm not the only one worried about writing a politics essay! oh the joys of related subjects :smile: I take geography too so I'm pretty sure I wrote more of a geography/politics essay than a sociological one. But I read in examiners' comments that they were disappointed at students' lack of knowledge of minor parties and generally how the UK political system works, so hopefully political knowledge will help!
Reply 6
What does everyone reckon the grade boundaries will be this time round?
Reply 7
I think it went okay for me! But I worry that mine was too political as well, instead of sociological! My teacher said it's the nicest politics paper she's ever seen. Hopefully I've passed it though!! And I hope the grade boundaries aren't too high :/
Reply 8
the exam isn't until tomorrow?
Those posts were 3 years ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending