The Student Room Group

SCLY3 Beliefs in Society June 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Naf*
Can someone check this essay please...
Religion as a force for social change 33marks
Weber- adoption of Protestant work ethic leading to a Calvinist capitalist class, ascetic lifestyle helped create an ethic of disciplined hard work.. Belief in the predestination, you were chosen by god for salvation.. And their rewards would be economic success... Theodicy of privilege disprivilige explaining social situations and religion answers questions to our social position... Over all religion indirectly brought about social change
HOWEVER...
Marxists would disagree to webers view of Calvinism as capitalism started Way before
Webers ideas show how religion can still influence people to have an ascetic life now and invest money so there could be a chance with continuing Calvinism..

Marxists disagree that religion is. A force for social change and say it maintains social stability ensuring the dominant class maintains and legitimises power against the working class to accepting the false. Lass consciousness. Althusser says this is done in two ways the repressive sate apparatus- using physical punishment to control people e.g the judicial system and police
Ideological state apparatus maintaining dominance and power over ruling class ensuring they do not revolt and produce anomie... Religion is used to control the working class to ensure the dominant stay rich and powerful an ensuring the poor stay poor
Marx opium of Ppl

Functionalists - moral values. Social stability, shared Norms value consensus collective consciousness
Durkheim Malinowski parsons

Liberation theology- otto maduro- can be used as a force of social change ... Jesus helped poor... Church shoul help the poor against dominant class
Archbishop Romero killed
Father Torres killed
Gramsci and notion of counter hegemony

What dyu think f this as a 33 marker.??

Really good! I might add a paragraph on the American civil rights movement as an example of social change and how religion helped this, contrast with New christian Right
Reply 181
Original post by jbarfie
Really good! I might add a paragraph on the American civil rights movement as an example of social change and how religion helped this, contrast with New christian Right

Please could you elaborate... I don't know about this also could I talk about feminism in this or dyu reckon I've focused too much on evaluation...
Reply 182
I'm worried that Globalisation may come up as a 33 marker... Would someone be able to put an essay plan of what to include please? I have no idea D:
Reply 183
I have a feeling science will come up as an 18marker, and perhaps globalisation as the essay question, as it it came up already as a 9marker.
But to be honest, i think it's best to revise everything as in content wise, and if you have time just do a few generic plans and it'll be fine.
The crime and deviance section is the harder one for me personally, as there is so much to remember and 2hours is simply isn't enough. :colone:
Reply 184
Original post by Naf*
Please could you elaborate... I don't know about this also could I talk about feminism in this or dyu reckon I've focused too much on evaluation...

Sorry...I assumed everyone would use the same textbook! I wouldn't worry about it the day before, What you have put is excellent anyway :smile: I was just talking about how Martin Luther King had religion on his side during the movment for equal rights
Reply 185
Original post by jbarfie
Sorry...I assumed everyone would use the same textbook! I wouldn't worry about it the day before, What you have put is excellent anyway :smile: I was just talking about how Martin Luther King had religion on his side during the movment for equal rights

Aaaahhh right I suppose if I just talked about Martin Luther king I'd get marks coz. He did make a change... Oooh so I can talk about like nelson mandela too! Lol! You can put so much into sociology!
And thanks... That essay plan means I can move on to another topic!
Does anyone think the following will come up, because I don't think they will so I'm not learning them...
Cultural defence
Cultural transition
NRMs
Cults and sects
Ethnicity and religion
Organisations
Loads of people seem to think Globalisation, Science, Marxism and Postmodernism will come up?
Reply 188
Original post by jbarfie

An essay plan for religion as a conservative force would be
For...
Functionalists- elaborate
Durkheim
Parsons
Malinowski
Neo functionalist- bellah

Evaluate functionalism such as it plays down conflicts
Talk about all negatives of religion

Marxists-elaborate their views on social stability
Althusser
Karl Marx
Neo Marx- Gramsci hegemony... Maduro... Their views of maybe a social change

Feminists and elaborate their views on social stability eg religion legitimised and exploits females to oppression in a patriarchal society
Religion inflicts patriarchal values and horns
Women are subordinated and marginalised in a patriarchal society
Daly
Beauvour
HOwECER... Not all women feel oppressed as those wearing veils and hijab feel liberated as it gives them freedom and protects them from sexual harassment in public <Linda wood head
Supported by Helen Watson... Promoting individuality and a rejection of cultural imperialism

evaluation/conclusion
Talk about weber Calvinism social change
Liberation theology
Father Torres
Arch bishop Romero
SEzuLArisation... Does religion exist do people relate to religion today... Does religion influence people in their daily everyday lives

How does this sound for a 33 marker and if there's anything to add please feel free to do so ... Thank you for ye help :smile: x
Reply 189
Original post by Naf*
Aaaahhh right I suppose if I just talked about Martin Luther king I'd get marks coz. He did make a change... Oooh so I can talk about like nelson mandela too! Lol! You can put so much into sociology!
And thanks... That essay plan means I can move on to another topic!

Lol yeah you could I suppose! But the MLK thing in the textbook I used was backed up by sociologists so thats why it was useful.
Reply 190
Original post by rmartin735
Does anyone think the following will come up, because I don't think they will so I'm not learning them...
Cultural defence
Cultural transition
NRMs
Cults and sects
Ethnicity and religion
Organisations

Really don't hve the time to revise for all that.. Need to do secularisation globalisation fundamentalism ideology and beliefs ... Maybe if I get all this done I might just read up on it but naah no time
Reply 191
Original post by Naf*
An essay plan for religion as a conservative force would be
For...
Functionalists- elaborate
Durkheim
Parsons
Malinowski
Neo functionalist- bellah

Evaluate functionalism such as it plays down conflicts
Talk about all negatives of religion

Marxists-elaborate their views on social stability
Althusser
Karl Marx
Neo Marx- Gramsci hegemony... Maduro... Their views of maybe a social change

Feminists and elaborate their views on social stability eg religion legitimised and exploits females to oppression in a patriarchal society
Religion inflicts patriarchal values and horns
Women are subordinated and marginalised in a patriarchal society
Daly
Beauvour
HOwECER... Not all women feel oppressed as those wearing veils and hijab feel liberated as it gives them freedom and protects them from sexual harassment in public <Linda wood head
Supported by Helen Watson... Promoting individuality and a rejection of cultural imperialism

evaluation/conclusion
Talk about weber Calvinism social change
Liberation theology
Father Torres
Arch bishop Romero
SEzuLArisation... Does religion exist do people relate to religion today... Does religion influence people in their daily everyday lives

How does this sound for a 33 marker and if there's anything to add please feel free to do so ... Thank you for ye help :smile: x

Sounds good! Make sure you have a good arguement for religion being a force for social change- Weber and calvinism is perfect for this (which you have) I'd use that after you've talked about classical Marxism :smile:
Liberation theology is a good one to use as well for social change :smile:
You've also planned to evaluate in each paragraph, this is good!!! :smile:

BY my Weber comment- I mean stick to what you've got in the marxism paragraph e.g. classical marixism vs neo-marxism then use Weber :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Can someone explain ideology section to me ? like Marxism and Karl Mannheim ?
Reply 193
Original post by jbarfie
Haha exactly, suppose its something to put on the CV :wink:

Yeah just finished my first year :smile: Thanks, yeah I think so, theres hardly any of us lol! Are you off to uni next year?

Yeah definitely! I'd be surprised if not! Also I mentioned above to someone, I forgot about social groups- Gender is defo a possibility! But not sure where tbh :/

Is it in your second year, where you start doing placements?
Because my sister has finished, and now she has to do an NVQ or something, where you work in one school for like a year or so.

Yeah, but ndon't worry, there are much more guys coming down your way, because alot of other guys have told me, they want to do primary school teaching as well. :biggrin:

Yes hopefully, i'll be attending university next year, if i get the required grades (which is not soo high..but you never know :redface:)

Gender comes underneath organisations doesn't it?
Reply 194
Original post by jbarfie
Sounds good! Make sure you have a good arguement for religion being a force for social change- Weber and calvinism is perfect for this (which you have) I'd use that after you've talked about classical Marxism :smile:
Liberation theology is a good one to use as well for social change :smile:
You've also planned to evaluate in each paragraph, this is good!!! :smile:

BY my Weber comment- I mean stick to what you've got in the marxism paragraph e.g. classical marixism vs neo-marxism then use Weber :smile:

Thank you.. And sorry for wasting your time! Il bug you once I've revised globalisation fundamentalism ideology/beliefs and secularisation!
Hope that's okay :wink:
Reply 195
Original post by Sana210693
Can someone explain ideology section to me ? like Marxism and Karl Mannheim ?

Ideology as in beliefs ideology- I don't understand sorry I need to go over and revise it
Ideology a in maxism is just that the ruling class have put up a barrier against the w/c into believing that society is just and fair.. Marxist ideology is that the ruling. Lass exploits and legitimises the working class through their dominant ideology which is religion... Hope that helps..
Reply 196
Original post by DaHogz
Is it in your second year, where you start doing placements?
Because my sister has finished, and now she has to do an NVQ or something, where you work in one school for like a year or so.

Yeah, but ndon't worry, there are much more guys coming down your way, because alot of other guys have told me, they want to do primary school teaching as well. :biggrin:

Yes hopefully, i'll be attending university next year, if i get the required grades (which is not soo high..but you never know :redface:)

Gender comes underneath organisations doesn't it?

I started placement this year- did 3 small teaching based ones :smile:

Do you mean NQT? is it her first year of teaching? :smile:
Ah thats good to hear! A third of our course has males this year is we're on the rise!
Good! You'll love it! Best year of my life so far :biggrin:

Yes it does I think, could come up on its own though! In our exam (jan11) We got a 33 marker on ethnicity and cultural defence and were like "Whhhhhaaaat?!"
Reply 197
Original post by Naf*
Thank you.. And sorry for wasting your time! Il bug you once I've revised globalisation fundamentalism ideology/beliefs and secularisation!
Hope that's okay :wink:

No worries! :smile: Haha no problem! Happy to help :smile:
Reply 198
Original post by jbarfie
I started placement this year- did 3 small teaching based ones :smile:

Do you mean NQT? is it her first year of teaching? :smile:
Ah thats good to hear! A third of our course has males this year is we're on the rise!
Good! You'll love it! Best year of my life so far :biggrin:

Yes it does I think, could come up on its own though! In our exam (jan11) We got a 33 marker on ethnicity and cultural defence and were like "Whhhhhaaaat?!"

Oh right, the university chooses it for you don't they?

Yeahh that :colondollar:It's cos her degree was something totally different, and then she decided to take up teaching, so she did PGCE and now she's going to do NQT.

You're invaded the only thing us women have! :unimpressed:

Really? Haha, i don't think i'll like it :redface: Cos the uni i'm going to, all the existing 6formers go there, and you don't really get a place of 'change'. But maybe it's cos you've met cool ppl there?

Lool yeahh, hope that does not happen to us! I'm such a last second girl :s-smilie:
Plus if they ask a question indirectly,I never know what they mean by it.
'assess whether religion is stable or not',like I wouldn't know which theoriest/topics they want me to talk about.
I know it's bad to question spot so don't miss out topics during revision because of this but my sociology teacher thinks that globalisation or science and religion will come up as one of the 33 mark essays at least, if not both because in Jan 2012- they were NRM's and Functionalism and for the June 11 paper the 33 mark essays were secularisation in modern Europe and NRM's related to the young and middle class. Also, is it just me or is anyone else struggling with the 9 markers? I thought they'd be similar to the short mark questions from education but the mark schemes for some are really silly -_-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending