The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noodles!
They were vile, as expected- complaints left, right and centre about their exams, including one of them wondering aloud why a real teacher hadn't marked them :frown: Ah well, found out today about an interview on Wednesday that I need to travel to tomorrow so won't see them til next week!

I'm afraid it's the nature of the beast, and it is very, very hard on teaching practice to overcome the 'you're not a proper teacher' thing. The kids aren't stupid and they sense your weak spots, and one of them is, of course, that you don't have the ultimate authority. The thing to remember (apart from the fact that every single one of us has been through this* and it's not some awful fault unique to you) is that sooner or later, you will be the 'real teacher' and they can't play you off against someone else. You WILL get it right and it WILL get easier until the point when, like us old lags, you haven't even decided what to do until you turn the handle of the classroom door. Keep the faith!

*and anyone who claims they haven't is a liar or amnesiac.
They were vile, as expected- complaints left, right and centre about their exams, including one of them wondering aloud why a real teacher hadn't marked them :frown: Ah well, found out today about an interview on Wednesday that I need to travel to tomorrow so won't see them til next week!

Got to love 'em :rolleyes:

All I can say is just make sure that should it affect you, you don't let them see it. They love to push all the wrong buttons and if they can see they've got to you, it'll make 'em keep on at it. Brush it off and stride forwards!
Original post by Stray_talk
Got to love 'em :rolleyes:

All I can say is just make sure that should it affect you, you don't let them see it. They love to push all the wrong buttons and if they can see they've got to you, it'll make 'em keep on at it. Brush it off and stride forwards!

Definitely. The insouciant shrug and laugh ****es them off faster than anything.:colone:
Feeling like absolute dog poo and my class teacher has blown cold all of a sudden and I'm not sure why. :frown: Not enjoying my last week at all. Wish I could stay home!

4 days to go *deep breaths* 4 days to go.

Congrats on the interview, and good for you that you won't see them!

They sound exactly like my y9s. I was sickeningly nice in retaliation. I don't teach them now, I'm back at the school for an enrichment week not for teaching, but on my last lesson I told them I'd miss them (a lie), told them they were my favourites (a lie) and gave them all a lolly (so they would shut up and not try and talk over me!) and they seem to love me now. One of the "not a real teacher" brigade who used to swear at me under his breath held a door open for me today - I am astounded at the power one sweet can have!

... wish I'd just bribed them to begin with instead of battling for 2 terms :frown:
Original post by Suzanathema
Congrats on the interview, and good for you that you won't see them!

They sound exactly like my y9s. I was sickeningly nice in retaliation. I don't teach them now, I'm back at the school for an enrichment week not for teaching, but on my last lesson I told them I'd miss them (a lie), told them they were my favourites (a lie) and gave them all a lolly (so they would shut up and not try and talk over me!) and they seem to love me now. One of the "not a real teacher" brigade who used to swear at me under his breath held a door open for me today - I am astounded at the power one sweet can have!

... wish I'd just bribed them to begin with instead of battling for 2 terms :frown:

Yes, they're simple creatures. For future reference, a sack of fun sized Haribo (or Percy Pigs from M&S if you're feeling flush) will keep them on your side for absolutely ages. Ration them out sparingly for good work. For the vegetarians (both contain gelatine) I find Tesco's party bag toys aisle a godsend. The older the kid, the more juvenile the present can be. I've had sixth formers weeping with nostalgia over tubes of bubbles or kazoos.
Oooh-eer, guess who may have secured a job for Sept! Will keep you posted! :eek:
Reply 1327
Original post by balloon_parade
Oooh-eer, guess who may have secured a job for Sept! Will keep you posted! :eek:

Like like like like like like like! Fingers are firmly crossed!

Brilliant news, congrats! Saw your post on TES so know what it entails but a job offer is amazing nonetheless!
Rainy

I will copy the TES thread to enlighten you all!

It seems I may have a job offer (yet to be 100% confirmed, but on the good side of likely) only problem is that it is 0.5 and definitely only for 1 term. I am unsure whether to go for it as there are still a few jobs going that I want to apply for but then I don't want to be unemployed come Sept either.

Pros:
- In EYFS (preferred age group)
- 15 minute commute
- Lovely school, staff and head
- Blank canvas setting
- Can arrange to work at my old job (Children's Centre) in the afternoons for extra hours if I need

Cons:
- Only 1 term with no chance of it extending (post holder is 100% returning from mat leave)
- Part time (mornings only)

Brilliant news, congrats! Saw your post on TES so know what it entails but a job offer is amazing nonetheless!

I know! A couple of snags but I think I'd be stupid not to go for it! (right?) I just worry about missing the job of my dreams but this school is SO lovely and the nursery is like a blank canvas waiting for my stamp! Hopefully get the official offer by the end of the week or early next week, I'm 70% there with it, just checking references and then will have to have a lesson obs but I like to think that's not going to be an issue! Fingers crossed I pull it off! I'd be bloody impressed if I did!

What would everyone else do? It's a bit of a tricky one isn't it!

It seems I may have a job offer (yet to be 100% confirmed, but on the good side of likely) only problem is that it is 0.5 and definitely only for 1 term. I am unsure whether to go for it as there are still a few jobs going that I want to apply for but then I don't want to be unemployed come Sept either.

Pros:
- 15 minute commute
- Blank canvas setting
- Can arrange to work at my old job (Children's Centre) in the afternoons for extra hours if I need

Cons:
- Only 1 term with no chance of it extending (post holder is 100% returning from mat leave)

I know! A couple of snags but I think I'd be stupid not to go for it! (right?) I just worry about missing the job of my dreams but this school is SO lovely and the nursery is like a blank canvas waiting for my stamp! Hopefully get the official offer by the end of the week or early next week, I'm 70% there with it, just checking references and then will have to have a lesson obs but I like to think that's not going to be an issue! Fingers crossed I pull it off! I'd be bloody impressed if I did!

If they will let it count towards your NQT, then it is definitely worth going for. Even if they don't, it is great experience and will help you prove yourself etc and make extra links in the profession. :smile:

I am on my final week of teaching placement now [although I have two weeks of enhancement at the same school left]. I just cannot be bothered! I am seriously lacking in motivation because planning for one week seems so pointless. Apparently, the placement is normally split 4:4 or 5:3 around the half term, rather than this year where it is 7:1. On the upside, three days teaching left. Yay!! :redface:
The said it would count to NQT so that's something!

Mines been the same and this week is DRAGGING! I feel pointless introducing the new topic when I'm not carrying it on! 3 more get ups! :biggrin: I'll miss them though. Any luck on the job front Affinity? Seen anything worth applying to?
(edited 11 years ago)

Pros:
- 15 minute commute
- Blank canvas setting

Cons:

Well, my decision would be easy as I can't afford anything other than full time (or 0.8 in a cheap area possibly).

But I presume you'd be OK financially as you're considering it? And it counts towards your NQT so I'd say go for it to be honest- you seem to actually like the school as opposed to just saying it would be OK, and it's the right age group. Seems like an ideal way to 'test the water' to me!

You'll have your foot in the door at that school then, as well as other local schools. And it's got to look better than no job if you had to apply for January starts anyway (not that that would happen to you as you're clearly brilliant but I'm facing that prospect if things don't go well for me this week!)
I do love going away for interviews (just not the interviews themselves), I've had a lovely evening! Am at a seaside town (don't want to say which) around 10 minutes by train from the town the school's in, and I've spent the evening wandering around the town briefly and on the seafront- even went to an amusement arcade for a bit! This was of course after making final preparations for my lesson when I got here :angel:

Thinking I should be going over interview questions all evening but that seems to be detrimental to me as I would panic in the interview if I couldn't remember what I wanted to say, or if they asked lots of unexpected questions. Might just stick to thinking up examples of different activities and other things I've done- it's those things I couldn't remember last time when asked for an example- stumbled for a second or two then!
Original post by affinity89
If they will let it count towards your NQT, then it is definitely worth going for. Even if they don't, it is great experience and will help you prove yourself etc and make extra links in the profession. :smile:

I am on my final week of teaching placement now [although I have two weeks of enhancement at the same school left]. I just cannot be bothered! I am seriously lacking in motivation because planning for one week seems so pointless. Apparently, the placement is normally split 4:4 or 5:3 around the half term, rather than this year where it is 7:1. On the upside, three days teaching left. Yay!! :redface:

I am seriously lacking in motivation this week too. Also just planning for one week of new topic after 7:1 split, it is really silly. It's my last week of planning/teaching though which is something to smile about I suppose. Next Fri 22nd is my official course finish date. To say I am looking forward to it is the understatement of the millennium! :party2:
(edited 11 years ago)
I am hoping to apply for a PGCE in Sept 2013 and reading this has made me feel all faint! I have studied at 3 different uni's and have 3 degrees. i am a mature student but am very worried about what i am reading....lol
Original post by jillianjill
I am hoping to apply for a PGCE in Sept 2013 and reading this has made me feel all faint! I have studied at 3 different uni's and have 3 degrees. i am a mature student but am very worried about what i am reading....lol

Well, you're probably better not going into it blind...
Well, my decision would be easy as I can't afford anything other than full time (or 0.8 in a cheap area possibly).

But I presume you'd be OK financially as you're considering it? And it counts towards your NQT so I'd say go for it to be honest- you seem to actually like the school as opposed to just saying it would be OK, and it's the right age group. Seems like an ideal way to 'test the water' to me!

You'll have your foot in the door at that school then, as well as other local schools. And it's got to look better than no job if you had to apply for January starts anyway (not that that would happen to you as you're clearly brilliant but I'm facing that prospect if things don't go well for me this week!)

Thanks for the advice, yes my husband is fully supportive as he would rather me have something than nothing! And you're right. You're seaside adventure sounds lovely so far! I hope it remains so with a good outcome tomorrow, I have my fingers and toes crossed, good luck!

*Darcie*
I am seriously lacking in motivation this week too. Also just planning for one week of new topic after 7:1 split, it is really silly. It's my last week of planning/teaching though which is something to smile about I suppose. Next Fri 22nd is my official course finish date. To say I am looking forward to it is the understatement of the millennium! :party2:

Oh my, I am so the same and by the sounds of it so is everyone on my course! Everyone is counting down the days! Motivation out the window! The thing I am looking forward to most is the not always having something to do and not feeling guilty about it when I do relax! Saying that, I'm doing a Forest school course in July and working all summer so it will be 3 weeks of relaxing! :tongue: What are you most excited about? Except the obvious...Qualified teacher thing :wink:
Original post by jillianjill

I can't deny it is tough going, but it is very worthwhile and although we all complain, if you ask most people about it they will tell you they have loved it. I know I have really enjoyed the course, it's just the last few weeks have been really tough. Good luck with your application! :smile:
My PGCE year was definitely one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. It's no mean feat!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending