The Student Room Group

OCR F855 Government & Politics Synoptic Exam June 14th 2012

Thread for the synoptic exam :smile:

Only planning on revising 3 topics. Most likely to be elections, pressure groups & parties, and judiciary.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I will be looking to revise, pressure groups, Judiciary, legislatures, ideologies and maybe elections.

There's been lots of juicy stuff for elections so I was considering dropping legislatures for it. Although there have been French legislative elections (yesterday I think) but yeah, i'm not feeling very confident for this unit.
Reply 2
Original post by AmitP1992
I will be looking to revise, pressure groups, Judiciary, legislatures, ideologies and maybe elections.

There's been lots of juicy stuff for elections so I was considering dropping legislatures for it. Although there have been French legislative elections (yesterday I think) but yeah, i'm not feeling very confident for this unit.

They are quire restricted with the topics they ask about in elections though. Covering the old and the new spec, the only three topics they ask about it turnout, what affects voting behaviour or functions. Also my general knowledge of elections is way better than it is of legislatures or executives etc.
I'm doing Executive, Legislature and Elections (could do parties but not sure on that)...

Anyone advise me on what is the best way to structure it?? Much appreciated!
Reply 4
Original post by Coca-Cola Kid
I'm doing Executive, Legislature and Elections (could do parties but not sure on that)...

Anyone advise me on what is the best way to structure it?? Much appreciated!

In the same way as the US paper essays, but we have double the amount of time. So in every paragraph just include an example that matches your point from the UK. And if you can, add something from another country if its an interesting point of contrast.
Reply 5
Anyone know what questions were asked in January?
Reply 6
From the thread from the other paper

Original post by JustCharley
Yep!

Elections: Asses the view that money plays too important a role in modern elections

Parties: "Parties no longer provide ideological choice". Discuss.

Pressure groups: To what extent is power and influence of a pressure group determined by its membership?

Rights & Liberties: Evaluate the role of legislatures in the protection of rights and liberties

Constitutions: "The experience of the USA clearly illustrates why the UK is in need of a written constitution" Discuss.

Legislatures: To what extent do legislatures fulfil their representative function?

Executives: Analyse the factors which make chief executives successful

Judiciaries: Discuss why the judicial appointment process is of such importance in a democracy.

I would have gladly done the Legislatures and Pressure group question!
Reply 7
Original post by Mac.
From the thread from the other paper

I would have gladly done the Legislatures and Pressure group question!

Yeah pressure groups and parties would've been great :frown: hope we get nice questions!
Reply 8
Yeah pressure groups and parties would've been great :frown: hope we get nice questions!

The only questions I can answer questions on are
- Pressure groups/Political Parties
- Elections
- Legislatures
- Constitutions (depending)

What keeps me sane is the fact that on all the past papers i have managed to answer at least two questions from those topics! So OCR better not be an ass hole tomorrow seeing that January was a paper i wish i could have done!
Reply 9
Original post by Mac.
The only questions I can answer questions on are
- Pressure groups/Political Parties
- Elections
- Legislatures
- Constitutions (depending)

What keeps me sane is the fact that on all the past papers i have managed to answer at least two questions from those topics! So OCR better not be an ass hole tomorrow seeing that January was a paper i wish i could have done!

I can only do pressure groups/parties and elections!! :tongue: It better be okay, and they don't pull a fast one like they did with 1B in the US exam.
Reply 10
How likely are they to ask the same questions on Thursday as they did in January. Anyone know if they've done this before?
Reply 11
Original post by kitkong
How likely are they to ask the same questions on Thursday as they did in January. Anyone know if they've done this before?

Of course they won't ask the same questions! just look through all the past papers and you'll get a gist of what sort of questions they will/can answer. Remember the questions have to be rather broad.
Reply 12
Thanks Mac!
One last question, what are the other functions of legislatures:

Representing
Passing Legislation
Scrutiny of the Executive
Reply 13
Original post by kitkong
Thanks Mac!
One last question, what are the other functions of legislatures:

Representing
Passing Legislation
Scrutiny of the Executive

Legislation
Representation
Scrutiny and oversight ('of the executive' is too UK politics)
Recruitment and training (more UK than US)
Legitamacy
Reply 14
I've attached my notes for elections. I'm revising elections, pressure groups and parties. I know the notes aren't fully complete but I'm only revising the stuff that I would realistically attempt to answer a question on, and the chances of two essays coming up that I can answer are quite good. Hope they are useful :smile:
Reply 15
I've attached my notes for elections. I'm revising elections, pressure groups and parties. I know the notes aren't fully complete but I'm only revising the stuff that I would realistically attempt to answer a question on, and the chances of two essays coming up that I can answer are quite good. Hope they are useful :smile:

you are amazing!! they are so useful!! have you got any more. im going to fail synoptic :frown: i dont even know how to structure the essay :''(
Reply 16
Original post by qwerty1993
you are amazing!! they are so useful!! have you got any more. im going to fail synoptic :frown: i dont even know how to structure the essay :''(

I'm making more now :smile:

Okay well the essays they ask are either pros v cons, disagree or agree or an evaluation of certain factors, usually roles of something. Basically for every paragraph you want to make one point, and then include related US example, UK example and then another example from somewhere else if it is relevant and useful. You structure the essay in the same way you structure the US exam essays, but you have double the amount of time so use it to provide more examples that either support or don't support what you are arguing.
Reply 17
I'm making more now :smile:

Okay well the essays they ask are either pros v cons, disagree or agree or an evaluation of certain factors, usually roles of something. Basically for every paragraph you want to make one point, and then include related US example, UK example and then another example from somewhere else if it is relevant and useful. You structure the essay in the same way you structure the US exam essays, but you have double the amount of time so use it to provide more examples that either support or don't support what you are arguing.

Ohhh i see. do we HAVE to include other countries? can we still get an A without including them? and yes please i have 5 exams this week alone and so your notes are really helpful for last minute cramming... :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by qwerty1993
Ohhh i see. do we HAVE to include other countries? can we still get an A without including them? and yes please i have 5 exams this week alone and so your notes are really helpful for last minute cramming... :smile:

Oh yeah you can get As without including other countries. Some of the essays like the January elections one on the role of money is a bit demanding for remembering different figures for 3 separate countries. The good thing about UK & US is that there are quite a few contrasts between what happens in politics eg. party discipline, role of parties, role of money, voting behaviour and how candidate focussed politics is. But on some stuff you need to bring in other countries to back up your contrasting points, like when talking about different electoral systems, because both UK & US use FPTP and it's unlikely that either of them will result in coalitions, so a PR system like Italy is a good point of contrast. Also you always get marks for recent and relevant examples of stuff, and the recent French election is really good for roles of third parties and discussion of whether parties stick to their ideologies or respond to the issues highlighted by the electorate. So in France we saw immigration being one of the hottest issues of the election, but then the left wing party won which you wouldn't expect, but they altered their campaign to put some focus on the issue of immigration.
Reply 19
Attached are my noted on political parties. As with the election notes I posted, they aren't fully complete because it's unrealistic that I would choose to answer a question on something to do with power within political parties :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending