The Student Room Group

Top engineering firms to work for! discuss

Salutations everyone!
I have seen only a few threads discussing which are the best engineering firms to work for. So lets make a list of such companies.

Some of the criteria that could be used in assessing the companies:
Career progression
Salary
International impact
Type of work
etc....

Here is a list of top engineering firms to work for in Russia:
YUKOS (GAAP) Oil and gas
Gazprom (IAS) Oil and gas
LUKOIL (GAAP) Oil and gas
Norilsk Nickel Metallurgical Combine (IAS) Nonferrous metallurgy
RAO UES of Russia (IAS) Power
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
BAE you're well paid and get to serve your country :smile:
Original post by -2D-
BAE you're well paid and get to serve your country :smile:

We can also add:
BP, Rolls-Royce, Airbus, QinetiQ, Jaguar ....
The petroleum industry is generally offers the best salary for engineering graduates who want to continue working in engineering. So you're looking at the likes of BP, Shell, ExxonMobil, Chevron, Marathon, BG Group, Maersk Oil, Apache, Nexen, Talisman, ConocoPhillips, Saudi Aramco, Statoil, etc. - the companies that have licenses to explore and produce petroleum. These companies also usually offer lots of travel, too, as they have offices and work all over the world.

There's also the oilfield services companies like Baker Hughes, Schlumberger, Haliburton, Wood Group, Weatherford, Petrofac, Aker, FMC and the like. These will give engineering graduates more technical, design orientated work which will probably closer resemble university engineering. The big oilfield services companies are also global so you can work all over the world with them, too.

Then there's the utilities sector, with companies like EDF, E.ON, Scottish and Southern Energy, etc. Their salaries tend to be slightly lower than the above, but not everyone wants to work in oil - in fact it appears most don't, if the skills shortage is anything to go by.

There's also manufacturing and automotive. I know pretty much **** all about these companies so I won't say anything about them.
Original post by Smack
The petroleum industry is generally offers the best salary for engineering graduates who want to continue working in engineering. So you're looking at the likes of BP, Shell, ExxonMobil, Chevron, Marathon, BG Group, Maersk Oil, Apache, Nexen, Talisman, ConocoPhillips, Saudi Aramco, Statoil, etc. - the companies that have licenses to explore and produce petroleum. These companies also usually offer lots of travel, too, as they have offices and work all over the world.

There's also the oilfield services companies like Baker Hughes, Schlumberger, Haliburton, Wood Group, Weatherford, Petrofac, Aker, FMC and the like. These will give engineering graduates more technical, design orientated work which will probably closer resemble university engineering. The big oilfield services companies are also global so you can work all over the world with them, too.

Then there's the utilities sector, with companies like EDF, E.ON, Scottish and Southern Energy, etc. Their salaries tend to be slightly lower than the above, but not everyone wants to work in oil - in fact it appears most don't, if the skills shortage is anything to go by.

There's also manufacturing and automotive. I know pretty much **** all about these companies so I won't say anything about them.

What would you say about defence industry? (e.g. AWE, Bae-Systems, QinetiQ... )
Original post by kaosu_souzousha
What would you say about defence industry? (e.g. AWE, Bae-Systems, QinetiQ... )

I don't know anything about the defence industry, sorry. All that I know about is petroleum and energy.

You can check out Gradcracker - the careers website for engineering students. It lists companies by sector and often displays their starting salary. From a quick check on that it seems that defence is below petroleum (obviously) but many companies still pay well.
Original post by Smack
I don't know anything about the defence industry, sorry. All that I know about is petroleum and energy.

You can check out Gradcracker - the careers website for engineering students. It lists companies by sector and often displays their starting salary. From a quick check on that it seems that defence is below petroleum (obviously) but many companies still pay well.

what a great website! you made my day :biggrin:
It will come quite handy when searching for a placement.
Btw, is it possible to get a job in the IT sector as a mechanical engineer?
Original post by kaosu_souzousha
what a great website! you made my day :biggrin:
It will come quite handy when searching for a placement.

Yeah, it's a really good website for getting a brief overview of a wide range of companies within different sectors.

Although I would advise, as with any website like that, that you do not rely solely on it, and that if you are looking for a placement you are better off networking and personally getting in touch with companies that you are interested in. With online applications it's always a bit of a lottery, and often they don't get read as HR will already have a suitably large pill of CVs kicking around.

Btw, is it possible to get a job in the IT sector as a mechanical engineer?

Again, I don't know.
Reply 8
Original post by Smack
Yeah, it's a really good website for getting a brief overview of a wide range of companies within different sectors.

Although I would advise, as with any website like that, that you do not rely solely on it, and that if you are looking for a placement you are better off networking and personally getting in touch with companies that you are interested in. With online applications it's always a bit of a lottery, and often they don't get read as HR will already have a suitably large pill of CVs kicking around.

Again, I don't know.

+ 1.

You don't want to be dealing with HR departments, they're usually full of morons.
Reply 9
Original post by Smack

hey, can u help me decide between bp and fmc? like in the long run, which would provide better advantages?
Original post by damilola
hey, can u help me decide between bp and fmc? like in the long run, which would provide better advantages?

BP are one of the world's biggest oil companies with international opportunities and plenty of scope for offshore work and engineering in a wide variety of disciplines whereas FMC just make subsea equipment. Unless you really want to go into design and manufacture then I think it's a no-contest.
Reply 11
Original post by Smack
BP are one of the world's biggest oil companies with international opportunities and plenty of scope for offshore work and engineering in a wide variety of disciplines whereas FMC just make subsea equipment. Unless you really want to go into design and manufacture then I think it's a no-contest.

ok, to be more specific, a BP apprenticeship or an engineer of the future with FMC?
ok, to be more specific, a BP apprenticeship or an engineer of the future with FMC?

I'd definitely still go with BP.
Reply 13
Original post by Smack
I'd definitely still go with BP.

cheers man :biggrin: i didn't get the fmc one anyway :tongue: where do u work? how do u know so much about oil and gas?
cheers man :biggrin: i didn't get the fmc one anyway :tongue: where do u work? how do u know so much about oil and gas?

I've got some industry experience and have lived up here all my life too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending